Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 12-12-2019, 12:22 PM   #1
lecmeg
lecmeg began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Aura ONE
Annotations stopped syncing

I have annotations for a kepub book that I bought on the Kobo bookstore.

I make annotations (highlights) on my Aura One. They used to sync to the Kobo App (Android & Win) but not in the other direction. That was annoying but I could live with it.

Suddenly, they stopped syncing completely. I continue to create annotations on the Aura One and they are recorded in the book. I can export them to a file. However, nothing goes through to the Apps although the Sync seems to be successful. The previous annotations are still visible in the apps.

I'm not sure but they may have stopped syncing when I exported them for the first time to a text file.

Any idea what went wrong and how to solve this?
lecmeg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2019, 06:32 PM   #2
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
The annotations syncing between the devices and apps haven't been working properly for a while. They tend to sync once or maybe twice for a book, but, after that, they don't. It's possible that they sync from one place to the other until you open the book on the second place. I'm not sure of that as I never r I suspect it is something in the tracking of what is on each device that is being messed up. I doubt very much that the export function is having an affect.

I know Kobo are aware of the problem, and should be working on it. But, I recommend reporting it so that they know how many people are affected.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-13-2019, 06:58 AM   #3
lecmeg
lecmeg began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Aura ONE
OK, thanks for the feedback. Good to know that Kobo's aware of it.

And I think I found what's not working. This morning, I installed the App on another Windows PC and all my annotations were synced on this 2nd PC. After that successful sync, I created a new annotation on my reader, synced but it didn't work. I uninstalled and reinstalled the Win app and it worked again. I had the new annotation. On the other side, annotations are still missing on my other laptop and in the Android app.

But I noticed the following sync sequences when I started the Win app for the 1st time (and after reinstall):
  • Starting sync
  • Updating books
  • Updating annotations
  • Loading dictionaries
  • Downloading book covers
  • Sync complete

All subsequent sync only have these sequences:
  • Checking for updates
  • Starting sync
  • Loading dictionaries
  • Sync complete

So after the initial sync, the apps do not update the books themselves, their annotations or their covers. I could not find a way to update the books separately. The issue is with the apps. However, the sync on the reader itself seems to work as the data is sent to the Kobo servers, the apps just don't read it.

As app sync don't read the data, it also doesn't send the annotations done on the app to the kobo server and therefore the reader doesn't get them during its "successful" sync.

Hope they will solve this.
lecmeg is offline   Reply With Quote