Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 12-09-2019, 08:36 PM   #1
elipsett
elipsett began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle, MacOS, Win7
XHTML internal link checker

Every so often I need to make an ebook with zillions of footnotes or other cross-references, and while various utilities exist to help me make them all, I haven't been able to find one that can scan through the XHTML stack and show me a list of every link>target pair so I can verify them.

Does such a utility exist?
Technically it wouldn't be that hard to make, but I'm hoping there already is one somewhere.

Various bells and whistles could be added to make it even more useful, but basically just displaying every link>target pair would be wonderful.
elipsett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2019, 09:33 PM   #2
j.p.s
Grand Sorcerer
j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: pb360
grep, if footnote links and targets match patterns that other links and targets do not.
j.p.s is online now   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-09-2019, 09:42 PM   #3
elipsett

Hmm. Links have href, making them easy to spot, but targets may have only ids, and lots of other things also have ids.
The only way to get a matching set would be to search for all ids, which would return a lot of random ids that are NOT targets.
Or am I missing something?
Old 12-10-2019, 10:32 AM   #4
j.p.s
Grand Sorcerer
j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: pb360
No, not missing anything. If footnote targets are not distinct from other targets, my idea would not work.
j.p.s is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2019, 08:35 PM   #5
elipsett

Thanks, it's good to know I'm not wrong, but it would actually have been better to discover your idea worked!

EPUB-check and the IDPF Validator (which is back online again, for now at least) return some information, but obviously cannot check if a link points to the correct target or not.

Maybe I'll have it developed... it's basically just a text handler, and shouldn't be that complicated.
Advert
Old 12-11-2019, 09:16 PM   #6
Tex2002ans
Wizard
Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma, Nook
Quote:
Originally Posted by elipsett View Post
Every so often I need to make an ebook with zillions of footnotes or other cross-references, [...] I haven't been able to find one that can scan through the XHTML stack and show me a list of every link>target pair so I can verify them.

Does such a utility exist?
Sigil and Calibre's Editor both have:

Tools > Reports > Links

They break down all <a> links, the text inside, and whether the destination actually exists. You're able to sort by columns, and it lets you easily spot inconsistencies.

Calibre also even has a Tools > External Links > Check External Links which visits every URL and lets you know if it's alive or not. Very helpful for catching dead links so you can update them.
Tex2002ans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2019, 09:17 PM   #7
elipsett

Well, that's a pleasant surprise!
I have Calibre but rarely use it for much... I'll have to take a closer look.

Thank you very much for heads-up!