Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Everything Audiobooks > Audiobook Hardware & Software

Notices

Old 11-20-2019, 07:33 PM   #1
Sydney's Mom
Wizard
Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Fire 3d Gen and 5th Gen and Samsung Tab S
Audible on 2018 Porsche

I spent all day downloading all my unread books from Audible onto an SD card, thinking I could just plug it into my car (2018 Porsche McCann) and thereby free up my phone. But when I put the SD card in, it said no playable files. Sounds just like kindle books, before Calibre. I can play the books just fine from my phone, but it ties it up and uses the battery. There is a jukebox and SD card on the radio, but neither would play my SD files. I have found a very old ipod, and once it charges I will download my books into iTunes and play that through apple play. But there must be some way to get the audible files I own un DRMed so I can play them in the car.
Sydney's Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2019, 08:11 PM   #2
FizzyWater
You kids get off my lawn!
FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 2 and Libra H2O and half a dozen older models I can't let go of
You might want to try this thread. A couple of programs are discussed to convert your Audible books to MP3s.

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=288032

There used to be a way via Audible Manager to burn your Audible books to CDs (multiple CDs per book), with a limitation of doing so only once each book. No idea if that's still possible (or desirable).
FizzyWater is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-20-2019, 08:42 PM   #3
Sydney's Mom
Wizard
Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FizzyWater View Post
You might want to try this thread. A couple of programs are discussed to convert your Audible books to MP3s.

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=288032

There used to be a way via Audible Manager to burn your Audible books to CDs (multiple CDs per book), with a limitation of doing so only once each book. No idea if that's still possible (or desirable).
Thank you!
Old 11-21-2019, 09:01 AM   #4
Apache
Readaholic
Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Surface Pro 6 / Galaxy Tab A 8"
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sydney's Mom View Post
Thank you!
Can't you plug your phone in so it charges while you play your books? On my wife's car I plug the phone into a USB port to charge and play. If I use my Onkyo, it will not play music through USP. I charge it using USB and play through Bluetooth or Aux In Cable.
Apache
Apache is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2019, 11:40 AM   #5
pwalker8
Grand Sorcerer
pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Pro, iPad mini, Kobo Aura, Amazon paperwhite, Sony PRS-T2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Apache View Post
Can't you plug your phone in so it charges while you play your books? On my wife's car I plug the phone into a USB port to charge and play. If I use my Onkyo, it will not play music through USP. I charge it using USB and play through Bluetooth or Aux In Cable.
Apache
I use an iPhone with carplay. Works like a champ. The iPhone gets charged, and I can listen to books, listen to music or if I have good signal, stream other stuff. I would think that a 2018 Porshe most certainly supports CarPlay (Apple) and Auto (Android).
pwalker8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-21-2019, 12:31 PM   #6
CRussel
(he/him/his)
CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis (Gen3),Paperwhite (Gen10), Voyage, Paperwhite(orig), Fire HD 8
I found CarPlay unreliable, at best, on my wife's Subaru. So I switched her to using simple Bluetooth, which works reliably and predictably. And she charges off the USB ports from one of those cigarette lighter adapters, to make sure that CarPlay doesn't try to take over. (This is a completely NON-Apple house, with the sole exception of the two iPhones.)
CRussel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2019, 02:00 PM   #7
Sydney's Mom
Wizard

Yes, I can use my phone to listen. But then I can't use my phone to check messages, etc. It really makes me mad that I can't use the jukebox and upload the books. I found an old fire tablet that no one wants and that Amazon will only give me $10, so I uninstalled everything and just downloaded all my unread books. I will bring a long cord and stick it in the back seat.

Husband and I are non-Apple. My college age daughter has and iPhone, two ipads and two apple computers. Just wait until she is paying for her tech!
Old 11-21-2019, 09:28 PM   #8
pwalker8
Grand Sorcerer
pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sydney's Mom View Post
Yes, I can use my phone to listen. But then I can't use my phone to check messages, etc. It really makes me mad that I can't use the jukebox and upload the books. I found an old fire tablet that no one wants and that Amazon will only give me $10, so I uninstalled everything and just downloaded all my unread books. I will bring a long cord and stick it in the back seat.

Husband and I are non-Apple. My college age daughter has and iPhone, two ipads and two apple computers. Just wait until she is paying for her tech!
You know you really should be checking messages while driving. Just saying.
Old 11-21-2019, 09:33 PM   #9
pwalker8
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by CRussel View Post
I found CarPlay unreliable, at best, on my wife's Subaru. So I switched her to using simple Bluetooth, which works reliably and predictably. And she charges off the USB ports from one of those cigarette lighter adapters, to make sure that CarPlay doesn't try to take over. (This is a completely NON-Apple house, with the sole exception of the two iPhones.)
Hum, I've had no problems, but I guess it depends a lot on how it's implemented on a particular car or head unit. I know that the base implementation of the Honda Pilot entertainment center is a piece of trash that I had frequent issues with, and that didn't have CarPlay. I swapped it out for a Kenwood unit that had CarPlay and have had no problems over the past 9 months.

The main reason for using carplay was so I didn't have to look at my phone while driving.
Old 11-22-2019, 12:08 AM   #10
CRussel
(he/him/his)
CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pwalker8 View Post
The main reason for using carplay was so I didn't have to look at my phone while driving.
I don't, with just the Bluetooth connection. All I really need from the phone is be able to answer it (from the steering wheel), make a call (with Siri from the steering wheel), and play Audible books or other audio content. All on the console screen.
Old 11-22-2019, 07:24 AM   #11
pwalker8
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
I don't, with just the Bluetooth connection. All I really need from the phone is be able to answer it (from the steering wheel), make a call (with Siri from the steering wheel), and play Audible books or other audio content. All on the console screen.
Audible books with the Audible app on the console? If so, you are using something like CarPlay. I could connect my iPhone to the Honda Pilot console via bluetooth or USB, but it only supported music from the console, not audible books. I had to convert my audible books to MP3, and it regularly lost track of where it was. Very frustrating.
Old 11-22-2019, 10:38 AM   #12
CRussel
(he/him/his)

Nope. It will play my current audio content, from the console. That could be my Audible book, or the book I'm reading in Bound, which is an m4b player app I use. The Audible, or other, app is on the phone, and the car behaves like any other Bluetooth connected device/speaker with A2DP.

What it won't do is let me browse books for what I want to read next.

Charlie.
Old 11-22-2019, 12:33 PM   #13
pwalker8
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Nope. It will play my current audio content, from the console. That could be my Audible book, or the book I'm reading in Bound, which is an m4b player app I use. The Audible, or other, app is on the phone, and the car behaves like any other Bluetooth connected device/speaker with A2DP.

What it won't do is let me browse books for what I want to read next.

Charlie.
Ah, now I understand. Yes, the Honda pilot would do the same thing. I could even listen to a ball game on one of the sports apps. Not being able to pull up the next book when one book finished without going to the phone was one of my big issues and the reason I paid a lot of money to replace the head unit in my car with a head unit that supports CarPlay. I'm just not going to fiddle with my phone while driving and got tired of having to pull over to pull up the next book to listen to.

Like I said, I suspect that your issue with CarPlay isn't actually CarPlay. Each manufacturer implements support for CarPlay themselves. I've had zero issues with mine.
Old 11-22-2019, 08:44 PM   #14
CRussel
(he/him/his)

And it could be that yours is more of a fruit-friendly infrastructure. As for having to pull over to change books? Might happen once a year. Rest of the time, my book is longer than my drive. (I do admit, I cue up a longish book when I know I've got an all day drive. )

Charlie.
Old 11-23-2019, 03:16 PM   #15
pwalker8
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
And it could be that yours is more of a fruit-friendly infrastructure. As for having to pull over to change books? Might happen once a year. Rest of the time, my book is longer than my drive. (I do admit, I cue up a longish book when I know I've got an all day drive. )

Charlie.
Obviously we do things very differently. I rarely listen outside the car, so everything happens in the car. In general, I go through 1 book every week or two. For example, I finished a book this morning about 10 minutes before the end of the trip. Without carplay, I would have had a choice between 10 minutes of listening to nothing, pulling over (and there weren't really any places to pull over where I was) or looking down at the iPhone. As it was, I just pulled up the next book on the console.