Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Sigil

Notices

Old 11-19-2019, 10:55 PM   #1
Tex2002ans
Wizard
Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma, Nook
Sigil Crashes when Plugin Runner closed with X-button

I got a bug to report... crash, closes right out of Sigil, no warning.

Don't know if this is a Sigil plugin bug, or a bug with your specific plugin.

Steps to Reproduce

1. Highlight a file in Book Browser.

Plugins > Edit > TagMechanic

2. Without doing anything, close out using the "Plugin Runner" X:

Click image for larger version

Name:	Sigil.Tag.Mechanic.Plugin.Crash.png
Views:	53
Size:	46.6 KB
ID:	175026

Sigil just crashes.

I tested it about 6 times:

5/6 Sigil closed with zero warning.
1/6 Sigil popped up some sort of XML parsing warning (but I forgot to screenshot it). Sigil then crashed soon after.
Tex2002ans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2019, 01:25 AM   #2
odamizu
just an egg
odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis1 & Voyage, iOS
I am not experiencing this with either 0.9.18 or 0.9.991. However, I am on macOS.
odamizu is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-20-2019, 03:16 AM   #3
Doitsu
Wizard
Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2
I've tested the plugin on my 64bit Windows 10 (1909) machine with Sigil 0.9.14 and Sigil 0.9.991-51 and didn't experience any crashes. All I got was the Error Parsing Result XML: Premature end of document message box.

@Tex2002ans what's your operating system?
Doitsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2019, 03:21 AM   #4
BeckyEbook
Addict
BeckyEbook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeckyEbook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeckyEbook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeckyEbook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeckyEbook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeckyEbook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeckyEbook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeckyEbook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeckyEbook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeckyEbook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeckyEbook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle (Key3, PW2, PW3), Nook (ST, GLP), Kobo Touch, Tolino Vision 2
This has always been the case with plugins that use tkinter. A new window is opened and the launcher window is a bit vulnerable when the user wants to close (or cancel) it.

Crash is not every time, but sometimes it closes Sigil, and sometimes it's just a message.
One of two messages appears:
* Error Parsing Result XML: Start tag expected.
* Error Parsing Result XML: Encountered incorrectly encoded content.

Personally, I have always "avoided" closing because I've encountered the problem a few years ago.
BeckyEbook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2019, 03:53 AM   #5
Tex2002ans
Wizard
Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma, Nook
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doitsu View Post
@Tex2002ans what's your operating system?
Sigil 0.9.14
Windows 10 1903 (64-bit)

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeckyEbook View Post
* Error Parsing Result XML: Encountered incorrectly encoded content.
Just tested again, and this time I got this popup.

Without even clicking on it, Sigil then disappeared.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeckyEbook View Post
Personally, I have always "avoided" closing because I've encountered the problem a few years ago.
Yeah me too... but I was unsure of some code, was looking at the PDF on the left half of my screen, and clicked on the first X I saw out of the corner of my eye.

Next thing I knew, Sigil crashed, and I lost a few minutes of work (luckily I save new versions every time I reach a new milestone).

Last edited by Tex2002ans; 11-20-2019 at 04:00 AM.
Tex2002ans is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-20-2019, 06:56 AM   #6
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
A plugin can't crash Sigil. Not without some very devious and malicious intent, anyway. The simple answer is "don't close Sigil's Plugin Runner out from under a plugin that the Plugin Runner is running/monitoring."

We'll see if we can fix Sigil so it doesnt crash, but in the meantime, this is very much a "Doctor, it hurts whenever I do this" type of scenario.

And it's nothing to do with tkinter per se. It's the fact that there's simply no time to hit the x button on a plugin that does its work immediately (with no gui to select options). It's theoretically possible to crash Sigi! this way with any plugin out there (if one is quick enough on the mouse).

Last edited by DiapDealer; 11-20-2019 at 07:12 AM.
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2019, 09:37 AM   #7
KevinH
Wizard
KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: many
I do not get any crash either but I am on macOS. It should never crash. Those error messages about missing ResultXML just means any output from the plugin itself was incomplete but that should not crash Sigil.

Does using the Cancel button instead of the X on PluginRunner cause a crash of Sigil too?

If using Cancel does not crash Sigil, we can try to override the closeEvent and have it call Cancel before exiting.

Last edited by KevinH; 11-20-2019 at 09:45 AM.
KevinH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2019, 09:44 AM   #8
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinH View Post
Does using the Cancel button instead of the X on PluginRunner cause a crash of Sigil too?
I can't get Sigil to crash with the steps given either on Windows 10. My guess is that Cancel would never crash (for those who are experiencing them when hitting the X button). If so, I'd be tempted to see if we can intercept that X button signal and do the same thing with it that the Cancel button does. I'd say hide the close button box, but the escape key on Windows will do the same thing. So we might have to catch that in Plugin Runner as well.

Another option would be to hide the Plugin Runner window until the plugin returns control. But I don't like that for several obvious reasons.
Old 11-20-2019, 10:22 AM   #9
KevinH
Wizard
KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I forgot about escape. From what I have read, Escape will not generate a closeEvent we could actually catch. So we might as you said have to filter out escape key events.
Old 11-20-2019, 10:24 AM   #10
BeckyEbook
Addict
BeckyEbook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeckyEbook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeckyEbook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeckyEbook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeckyEbook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeckyEbook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeckyEbook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeckyEbook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeckyEbook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeckyEbook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeckyEbook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

The Cancel button does not crash.

It is difficult for me to determine the exact frequency because I never really close the launcher with "X". I only checked it today after reading the post. Sometimes it sigil crash the first time and sometimes the second or third time.
Old 11-20-2019, 10:55 AM   #11
KevinH
Wizard

This should now be fixed in master by overiding QDialog::reject() to invoke cancelPlugin first before exiting and by my tests this catches both the escape key and the x close.

BeckyEbook, if you do a fresh build today, would you please see if this stops the crashing as I can not test it on my mac as it doesn't crash at all
Old 11-20-2019, 11:09 AM   #12
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinH View Post
This should now be fixed in master by overiding QDialog::reject() to invoke cancelPlugin first before exiting and by my tests this catches both the escape key and the x close.
Doitsu clued me in to one of his plugins that would consistently crash for me when clicking the close button (or hitting ESC) while the plugin's gui (PyQt5) was open. Your commit eliminated the crashing (using ESC as well)

Last edited by DiapDealer; 11-20-2019 at 11:14 AM.
Old 11-20-2019, 11:29 AM   #13
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer

I'm going to split this conversation out into its own thread since it's not a plugin bug.
Old 11-20-2019, 12:40 PM   #14
KevinH
Wizard

Great to know it works. And we should definitely split this intoits own thread just for the records sake as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiapDealer View Post
I'm going to split this conversation out into its own thread since it's not a plugin bug.
Old 11-20-2019, 01:03 PM   #15
BeckyEbook
Addict

Crash exist.
Code:
Debug: Warning: QProcess: Destroyed while process ("C:\\Program Files\\Sigil\\python3.exe") is still running.