Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 11-21-2008, 12:50 PM   #1
askyn
Addict
askyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.askyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.askyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.askyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.askyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.askyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.askyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.askyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.askyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.askyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.askyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite (11th Gen)
1150 sale at eBookwise AND new model !

Hi all /wave

Just wanted to point out for all those considering a reader that over at eBookwise http://www.ebookwise.com/ebookwise/ebookwise1150.htm, they are having a sale on the eb1150.

Base model is now $99.95, and all the other models are also on sale.

NOT to mention, there is now a new model that has 64meg internal memory ( upgraded from 8mb. )

Ive been extreamly satisfied with my 1150, ive had it about 2 months now.

Perfect weight, fits fantastically in your hand when reading with perfect button placement for forward/backward paging. Touch screen, can write noted inside books / add pages. Great for laying in bed reading ( its back lit so no bed light needed ). It has a nice rubberized grip feel that make you feel comfortable holding it.

Down side for some ( not for me at all ) it is lcd tech, but I get 20 hours of read time per charge ( about a week or so depending on my reading schedual ). While some see this as a down side, it is faster updating page turns and doesnt have that "flash" effect ive noticed on the couple of epaper readers ive looked at.

I personally would buy this model again should i need another reader in the future. The support behind it is FANTASTIC !!

Hope you enjoy ...
askyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2008, 01:00 PM   #2
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
How many eBook stores sell books in the EBW1150's "IMP" format? The lack of support for the format would appear to be rather a limitation if one wishes to read "commercial" fiction rather than out-of-copyright material.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-21-2008, 01:06 PM   #3
zelda_pinwheel
zeldinha zippy zeldissima
zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: eb1150 & is that a nook in her pocket, or she just happy to see you?
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
How many eBook stores sell books in the EBW1150's "IMP" format? The lack of support for the format would appear to be rather a limitation if one wishes to read "commercial" fiction rather than out-of-copyright material.
not really ; there are tools to convert from almost every other format really easily in approximately 15 seconds (nick is responsible for making many of them), including drm .lit and mobipocket, so that means pretty much any commercial recent book is available. and the .imp format, while having many limitations, is actually surprisingly robust in some ways so the conversions (especially hand made ones which are not too difficult either) can actually be really nice to read, sometimes nicer than the original mobipocket files in fact.
zelda_pinwheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2008, 01:10 PM   #4
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by zelda_pinwheel View Post
not really ; there are tools to convert from almost every other format really easily in approximately 15 seconds (nick is responsible for making many of them), including drm .lit and mobipocket, so that means pretty much any commercial recent book is available. and the .imp format, while having many limitations, is actually surprisingly robust in some ways so the conversions (especially hand made ones which are not too difficult either) can actually be really nice to read, sometimes nicer than the original mobipocket files in fact.
I appreciate that, but DRM removal (and even format conversion) is illegal in many countries. One should surely not have to commit a crime in order to obtain content for an eBook reader! One may believe that such laws are wrong, but as long as they are on the statute books, that will deter many people from buying such a device.
Old 11-21-2008, 01:11 PM   #5
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
I assumed the ebookwise store had pretty much everything that the fictionwise store had in Mobi/Lit formats. Is that not the case?

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-21-2008, 01:12 PM   #6
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by pilotbob View Post
I assumed the ebookwise store had pretty much everything that the fictionwise store had in Mobi/Lit formats. Is that not the case?

BOb
Sorry, I didn't know that EBW had a bookstore. If it does, and they sell the "standard" stuff, then obviously I withdraw my comment.
Old 11-21-2008, 01:13 PM   #7
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Sorry, I didn't know that EBW had a bookstore. If it does, and they sell the "standard" stuff, then obviously I withdraw my comment.
Yes, ebookwise.com which is run by Fictionwise.

BOb
Old 11-21-2008, 01:32 PM   #8
nrapallo
GuteBook/Mobi2IMP Creator
nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: REB1200 EBW1150 Device: T1 NSTG iLiad_v2 NC Device: Asus_TF Next1 WPDN
Quote:
Originally Posted by askyn View Post
Perfect weight, fits fantastically in your hand when reading with perfect button placement for forward/backward paging. Touch screen, can write noted inside books / add pages. Great for laying in bed reading ( its back lit so no bed light needed ). It has a nice rubberized grip feel that make you feel comfortable holding it.
I agree!

Quote:
Down side for some ( not for me at all ) it is lcd tech, but I get 20 hours of read time per charge ( about a week or so depending on my reading schedual ). While some see this as a down side, it is faster updating page turns and doesnt have that "flash" effect ive noticed on the couple of epaper readers ive looked at.
ETI is working on an e-ink prototype that should support the .imp format (and hopefully .epub given that ETI's Garth Conboy co-chairs the standards committee endorsing .epub )

Quote:
I personally would buy this model again should i need another reader in the future. The support behind it is FANTASTIC !!

Hope you enjoy ...
I would recommend the colour version (REB1200), but that's just me!

Last edited by nrapallo; 11-21-2008 at 01:43 PM. Reason: added link to ETI
nrapallo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2008, 01:32 PM   #9
zelda_pinwheel
zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

thanks pilotbob, i actually always forget to mention that because i never buy anything in .imp format, i prefer to buy in .lit or .mobi and convert so that i have an html file for archival purposes.
Old 11-21-2008, 01:34 PM   #10
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by nrapallo View Post
ETI is working on an e-ink prototype that should support the .imp format (and hopefully .epub given that ETI's Garth Conboy co-chairs the standards committee endorsing .epub )
This page is OLD news. Any updates on where they are with this?

BOb
Old 11-21-2008, 01:37 PM   #11
nrapallo
GuteBook/Mobi2IMP Creator
nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: REB1200 EBW1150 Device: T1 NSTG iLiad_v2 NC Device: Asus_TF Next1 WPDN
Useful eBookwise links...

eBookwise bookstore:
Publishers supporting the .imp format (via the eBookwise bookstore)

Link to weekly New Books at the eBookwise bookstore.
Also, Fictionwise allows you to retain/access your eBookwise account and purchase Fictionwise.com MultiFormat titles for use on the EBW1150 and REB1200 ebook readers.

Last edited by nrapallo; 11-21-2008 at 01:40 PM. Reason: typo
nrapallo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2008, 04:29 PM   #12
=X=
Wizard
=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy S, Nook w/CM7
Quote:
Originally Posted by pilotbob View Post

BOb
I initially assumed that but it is not so. Fictionwise also carries MOBI and LIT which have a far greater selection than IMP.

=X=
=X= is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2008, 04:31 PM   #13
=X=
Wizard
=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy S, Nook w/CM7
Quote:
Originally Posted by zelda_pinwheel View Post
thanks pilotbob, i actually always forget to mention that because i never buy anything in .imp format, i prefer to buy in .lit or .mobi and convert so that i have an html file for archival purposes.
ereader2html converts pdb to html. [Secretive whisper] and also removes DRM[/Secretive whisper]

Last edited by =X=; 11-21-2008 at 05:06 PM. Reason: correct text from imp to pdb
=X= is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2008, 04:36 PM   #14
zelda_pinwheel

Quote:
Originally Posted by =X= View Post
ereader2html converts imp to html. [Secretive whisper] and also removes DRM[/Secretive whisper]
converts IMP to html ??? really ??? are you sure about that ? does it preserve formatting as well ? if yes, that's good to know...
Old 11-21-2008, 04:37 PM   #15
RickyMaveety
Holy S**T!!!
RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.

Device: Kindle and iPad
A 64 MB card "dramatically" increases the storage?? Are the file sizes really small?? Or does that type of device just not hold all that much??
RickyMaveety is offline   Reply With Quote