Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 10-17-2019, 08:35 AM   #1
ksks
ksks began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3
Ghosting much worse on Oasis 3 compared to Paperwhite

Hi all,
I purchased the new Kindle Oasis 2019 and was disappointed to find that it had by far the worst ghosting I'd seen on any of my ereaders (I have owned 6).

I took it back to the store and a salesperson after a cursory glance said "Yeah, that's not normal." and processed an exchange. I tried out the brand new replacement Oasis 3 and, to my disappointment, found it was exactly the same.

Sure, ghosting is a very common complaint plaguing all ereaders including Paperwhites due to the very nature of eink technology, but why is the ghosting on my Paperwhite 3 (and all my other devices for that matter) almost invisible in comparison?

Has anyone had a similar experience with their Oasis 3? (I can't find any reviews complaining about it)
Does it get better with a bit of use?
Do Oasis devices use a different eink screen to Paperwhites?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	oasis.jpg
Views:	213
Size:	178.4 KB
ID:	174289  

Last edited by ksks; 10-17-2019 at 08:40 AM.
ksks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2019, 08:47 AM   #2
SusanReads
Zealot
SusanReads can program the VCR without an owner's manual.SusanReads can program the VCR without an owner's manual.SusanReads can program the VCR without an owner's manual.SusanReads can program the VCR without an owner's manual.SusanReads can program the VCR without an owner's manual.SusanReads can program the VCR without an owner's manual.SusanReads can program the VCR without an owner's manual.SusanReads can program the VCR without an owner's manual.SusanReads can program the VCR without an owner's manual.SusanReads can program the VCR without an owner's manual.SusanReads can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Kindle Voyage & Kindle Oasis 3
I have never noticed ghosting on my Kindles before (even though I guess there is some ghosting going on, I just never noticed it), but I suddenly noticed this as well on my Oasis 3.

I'm not happy with the lighting so I ordered a new one and I'm going to send the one one I have now back.

But yes, the ghosting on the Oasis 3 is worse than on my other Kindles. Even with a new chapter, where the page is supposed to refresh.
SusanReads is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-17-2019, 09:38 AM   #3
Sirtel
Wizard
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage/Oasis 2/Oasis 3/Nook Glowlight Plus 7.8''/Kobo Libra H2O
I've set the page refresh at every page. No ghosting.
Sirtel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2019, 09:50 AM   #4
SusanReads
Zealot
SusanReads can program the VCR without an owner's manual.SusanReads can program the VCR without an owner's manual.SusanReads can program the VCR without an owner's manual.SusanReads can program the VCR without an owner's manual.SusanReads can program the VCR without an owner's manual.SusanReads can program the VCR without an owner's manual.SusanReads can program the VCR without an owner's manual.SusanReads can program the VCR without an owner's manual.SusanReads can program the VCR without an owner's manual.SusanReads can program the VCR without an owner's manual.SusanReads can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Kindle Voyage & Kindle Oasis 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirtel View Post
I actually did that too, but I had the same ghosting as before.
I do have to say that it doesn't bother me all that much, so when I find the Oasis with the perfect lighting I'm going to accept the ghosting if that one has it too.
SusanReads is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2019, 09:59 AM   #5
BionicGecko
Enthusiast
BionicGecko knows the complete value of PI to the endBionicGecko knows the complete value of PI to the endBionicGecko knows the complete value of PI to the endBionicGecko knows the complete value of PI to the endBionicGecko knows the complete value of PI to the endBionicGecko knows the complete value of PI to the endBionicGecko knows the complete value of PI to the endBionicGecko knows the complete value of PI to the endBionicGecko knows the complete value of PI to the endBionicGecko knows the complete value of PI to the endBionicGecko knows the complete value of PI to the end

I indeed noticed that my Oasis 3 has much worse ghosting than what I remember from my PW3. I can't say I'm overly bothered by it (I'm much more annoyed by the uneven lighting), but it did jump at my face as soon as turned it on. I also find the contrast to be rather low.
BionicGecko is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-17-2019, 11:03 AM   #6
Sirtel
Wizard
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BionicGecko View Post
I indeed noticed that my Oasis 3 has much worse ghosting than what I remember from my PW3. I can't say I'm overly bothered by it (I'm much more annoyed by the uneven lighting), but it did jump at my face as soon as turned it on. I also find the contrast to be rather low.
That's weird. Mine has very good contrast and very little ghosting. A bad batch?
Old 10-17-2019, 12:29 PM   #7
j.p.s
Wizard
j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: pb360
Quote:
Quote:
That's weird. Mine has very good contrast and very little ghosting. A bad batch?
How do you have your Oasis 2 set?

My Oasis 2 is my first kindle that I did not set to refresh on every page (since that option became available on kindles). I consider myself sensitive to and annoyed by ghosting and find the lack of ghosting on my Oasis 2 to be great. I'm really surprised to hear that it would be bad on the Oasis 3 and that if it is, why it has taken so long for complaints about it or even mention to show up.
j.p.s is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2019, 12:34 PM   #8
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i, 3g, 4, 5w, (PW) & PW2; Kobo H2O & Forma
Weather? Is it suddenly colder in your part of the world? Cold will have an adverse effect on the screen's performance, which usually makes it more sluggish, but could potentially affect ghosting, too.

Or they just might have fudged up a batch of waveforms.
NiLuJe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2019, 01:01 PM   #9
cats2books
Enthusiast
cats2books doesn't littercats2books doesn't litter

Device: Kindle Oasis, iPhone 11, iPad Pro 12.9 and 9.7
I have also noticed more ghosting on my Oasis 3. It’s much more so than on my previous kindles.

However, the lighting is very nice and even, so I’m not going to return or exchange it.

I have it set to refresh with every page turn. I really only notice the ghosting when I first open it to continue reading at a page. It does clear up if I close the cover and reopen it, or after several page turns.
cats2books is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2019, 01:42 PM   #10
Sirtel
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by j.p.s View Post
How do you have your Oasis 2 set?
The Oasis 2 is set to fully refresh every page too. Not because there is ghosting (there isn't really), but because I want the text to have maximum contrast all the time. Contrast worsens with partial refresh.
Old 10-17-2019, 02:35 PM   #11
mergen3107
Margins dominator
mergen3107 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mergen3107 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mergen3107 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mergen3107 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mergen3107 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mergen3107 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mergen3107 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mergen3107 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mergen3107 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mergen3107 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mergen3107 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KPW3 (5.9.7 JB); Kindle 4NT Black (4.1.3 JB)
Maybe the store’s warehouse is very cold?
Try to have your Kindle in a very warm room (25 degC and above) for a few hours and then read again.
I remember my e-ink devices had very slow response and noticeable ghosting in winter (outside temp -30 degC), but they restored to normal once I warmed them up at home.
mergen3107 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2019, 05:23 PM   #12
Atunah
Wizard
Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K1/K3 BasicK/Voyage/Oasis1/Oasis2
Made me look. I tried every which way, turning a bunch of pages, turning light up and down. I have no ghosting on my O3. I didn't have any on my O2 either.
I have a very very slight one on my O1 and Voyage. Only when it gets to the last pages before the refresh. Barely there though. I only have the noticable kind on my older kindles like the K1, KK and old basic.

I don't have it refreshing every page. I haven't had that since it was an option not to do that.
Atunah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2019, 06:14 PM   #13
ksks
ksks began at the beginning.

Thanks for the replies. So it seems some users have experienced bad ghosting while others have seen very little. It's spring here and not particularly cold (and my other ereaders are fine, no ghosting) so maybe mine was a bad batch.

I'm quite sensitive to ghosting so it does bother me, especially considering the Oasis cost x3 as much as my perfect Paperwhite. I probably won't return it even though there are also 3 annoying black dots on the screen (not dead pixels, more like flecks of ink stuck in the glass layer) because I bought it for a long overseas trip and it's difficult to return now!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	oasis2.jpg
Views:	107
Size:	273.6 KB
ID:	174301  
ksks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2019, 06:23 PM   #14
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura H2O, Sony PRS-650, Sony PRS-T1, nook STR, iPad 4, iPhone 5
Quote:
The Oasis 2 is set to fully refresh every page too. Not because there is ghosting (there isn't really), but because I want the text to have maximum contrast all the time. Contrast worsens with partial refresh.
If that is the case, I would have sent back the Oasis 2. There is no way I would put up with a Reader where I needed to have it refresh every page.

Isn't there a way to refresh the page you are on when the text gets too light or the ghosting it too noticeable?
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2019, 06:25 PM   #15
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura H2O, Sony PRS-650, Sony PRS-T1, nook STR, iPad 4, iPhone 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by ksks View Post
Thanks for the replies. So it seems some users have experienced bad ghosting while others have seen very little. It's spring here and not particularly cold (and my other ereaders are fine, no ghosting) so maybe mine was a bad batch.

I'm quite sensitive to ghosting so it does bother me, especially considering the Oasis cost x3 as much as my perfect Paperwhite. I probably won't return it even though there are also 3 annoying black dots on the screen (not dead pixels, more like flecks of ink stuck in the glass layer) because I bought it for a long overseas trip and it's difficult to return now!
Given how bad some Oasis models seem to be at ghosting and given that it bothers you, might it not be time to move away from Amazon and get a different brand that doesn't ghost so bad?
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote