Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 10-05-2019, 07:41 AM   #1
Abraxas_UK
Abraxas_UK began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Low Resolution/Blurry Text in new reader

Hello,

I installed the new Calibre 4.0 and noticed that the settings and the text in the e-book are all blurry now in the new reader. See the image in the attachment.

Do you have any idea how to solve this issue?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	new_Reader.JPG
Views:	528
Size:	125.5 KB
ID:	173992  
Abraxas_UK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2019, 10:10 AM   #2
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
Try choosing a different font. What OS is this on?
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-05-2019, 11:09 AM   #3
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i, 3g, 4, 5w, PW, PW2, PW5; Kobo H2O, Forma, Elipsa, Sage, C2E
And are there DPI/Zooming/Accessibility shenanigans going on in your system?
NiLuJe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2019, 02:39 PM   #4
Abraxas_UK

Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
Try choosing a different font. What OS is this on?
It's Windows 7, latest build. Choosing other fonts and/or changing font size doesn't help. The main program is crispy sharp as before. It's just the new viewer that somehow changes distorts the clear text.

Quote:
And are there DPI/Zooming/Accessibility shenanigans going on in your system?
No, nothing. Every other program (including up to Calibre 4) is running perfectly.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	calibre_4_read.png
Views:	333
Size:	283.8 KB
ID:	174000  
Old 10-05-2019, 03:10 PM   #5
Abraxas_UK

I just tried restoring down the table of contents window: it seems to restore the sharp text in the table of contents, but the main text remains blurry. See the attachment.

Hmm. I guess that it's kind of a font or windows scaling issue?
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	cal4.png
Views:	331
Size:	262.5 KB
ID:	174001  
Advert
Old 10-05-2019, 08:57 PM   #6
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
Weird, I can think of no reason for it in that case. The new version of Qt does seem to have issues with some windows 7 systems. Given that windows 7 is going to be end-of-lifed in January I suggest you stick with calibre 3.48 until you are in a position to upgrade Windows.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2019, 04:22 AM   #7
Abraxas_UK

Okay, thanks for the feedback. I installed 3.48 as the second executable.
Old 10-06-2019, 02:57 PM   #8
Rellwood
Library Breeder (She/Her)
Rellwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rellwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rellwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rellwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rellwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rellwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rellwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rellwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rellwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rellwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rellwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura HD (1) PW3 (4) PW3 2019 new edition (1)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Abraxas_UK View Post
Hello,

I installed the new Calibre 4.0 and noticed that the settings and the text in the e-book are all blurry now in the new reader. See the image in the attachment.

Do you have any idea how to solve this issue?
I had the same problem when I beta tested it. I noted it in post #82 under Beta test Calibre 4.

I noticed the problem resolved when I moved from Calibre for 32 to Calibre 64.

I run Windows 7 Professional.

Not sure if this is the same problem you are facing, but I had thumbnails attached. I just don't know how to reference a post on another thread here.
Rellwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2019, 03:02 PM   #9
Abraxas_UK

Switching to 64-bit unfortunately didn't solve the problem for me. I use Windows 7, Home Premium.
Old 10-06-2019, 03:11 PM   #10
Rellwood
Library Breeder (She/Her)
Rellwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rellwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rellwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rellwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rellwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rellwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rellwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rellwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rellwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rellwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rellwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura HD (1) PW3 (4) PW3 2019 new edition (1)
Quote:
Switching to 64-bit unfortunately didn't solve the problem for me. I use Windows 7, Home Premium.
Yeah, it seems like your problem is blurry, while mine was "blocky".

Since it seems limited to your own Calibre (meaning no one else is complaining) it's surely something about your settings.

Consider creating a new user id. and trying to see if Calibre works in it.

A fresh id with default settings in Windows and Calibre can go a long way to debugging.

I have a "Calibre" Id I use when I need to do more work on my library that takes longer than I want to wait while I am working on other libraries. Plus its great for overflow.

Not sure if this is an option, but if you can do it, it's worth a try.
Rellwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2019, 04:48 PM   #11
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i, 3g, 4, 5w, PW, PW2, PW5; Kobo H2O, Forma, Elipsa, Sage, C2E
I don't recall if Windows 7 offered the "ClearType" tuning screen (which is buried somewhere deep inside the Settings panel), but if it did, that may be one thing to explore, if a clean user profile fixes it .
NiLuJe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2019, 05:42 PM   #12
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Moderator Notice
I moved some irrelevant posts and responses

BR
BetterRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2019, 07:38 AM   #13
Kajetan
Kajetan began at the beginning.

Device: Tolino Vision 4HD
Quote:
I too experience blurry, nearly unreadable text in the new viewer. Regardless of fonts, styles and other viewer settings.

I am on W10/64, running two 1080p monitors in their native resolution, ClearType is configured.
Kajetan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2019, 05:50 PM   #14
KevinH
Sigil Developer
KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: many
FWIW, Qt has a number of "blurry font" related bug reports similar to this one:

https://bugreports.qt.io/browse/QTBUG-76872

Perhaps one of those is the culprit?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kajetan View Post
I too experience blurry, nearly unreadable text in the new viewer. Regardless of fonts, styles and other viewer settings.

I am on W10/64, running two 1080p monitors in their native resolution, ClearType is configured.
KevinH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2019, 02:51 PM   #15
Kajetan
Kajetan began at the beginning.

Device: Tolino Vision 4HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinH View Post
FWIW, Qt has a number of "blurry font" related bug reports similar to this one:

https://bugreports.qt.io/browse/QTBUG-76872

Perhaps one of those is the culprit?
No, the culprit was a setting of my NVidia GPU driver

Fast Approximate Antialiasing (FXAA) has to be turned [Off] for Calibre.

Since then ... every letter is displayed sharp and easy to read.
Kajetan is offline   Reply With Quote