Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Conversion

Notices

Old 08-27-2019, 08:15 PM   #1
xiatian
Connoisseur
xiatian began at the beginning.

Device: kindle
Question Can ebook-convert generate mobi like kindlegen?

I'm wondering if ebook-convert can generate mobi files with TOC like that made by kindlegen. Here are some screenshots of the two mobi files converted from the same epub by ebook-convert and kindlegen respectively.

ebook-convert:
https://i.imgur.com/rlJeoIp.png
https://i.imgur.com/ItjHEK7.png

kindlegen:
https://i.imgur.com/bGFXPlA.png
https://i.imgur.com/1eq3xQw.png

Sometimes I like the TOC made by kindlegen as it allows me to turn to the conver page. Besides, kindle can display covers on the kindle library.
But files converted by calibre ebook-convert can only show titles without cover images.
xiatian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2019, 08:27 PM   #2
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
For covers, send the book to the kindle using calibre send to device and the cover will show up. For the TOC dont convert EPUB to MOBI instead convert the recipe file to MOBI directly and send the resulting file to kindle using USB and you will get the special periodical ToC on the kindle.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-27-2019, 10:44 PM   #3
xiatian
Connoisseur

Thanks. But I'm still curious about why I have to use send to device option to make the cover shown. Can ebook-convert command generate a mobi which kindle can display the cover in the kindle library?
Old 08-27-2019, 11:36 PM   #4
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

This has nothing to do with kindlegen or ebook-convert amazon chose to not display the in-book cover on its kindles for files that have an ASIN not present on its servers. ebook-convert adds an ASIN kindlegen does not. Without the ASIN cross device syncing does not work. When you send the book via calibre calibre pregenerates the cover thumbnail to work around this Amazon policy.
Old 08-27-2019, 11:57 PM   #5
ilovejedd
hopeless n00b
ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW4, PW3, Libra H2O, iPad 10.5, iPad 11, iPad 12.9
Quote:
Originally Posted by xiatian View Post
Thanks. But I'm still curious about why I have to use send to device option to make the cover shown. Can ebook-convert command generate a mobi which kindle can display the cover in the kindle library?
You have to mark it as [PDOC] (personal document) if you want cover support without needing to use Calibre send to device.

Code:
ebook-convert.exe input.epub output.mobi --personal-doc [PDOC]
Of course then it shows up as "Document" instead of "Book" or "Periodical". No sync either I believe but I've found that problematic for non-Kindle and non-Amazon cloud books anyway.
ilovejedd is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-28-2019, 12:44 AM   #6
xiatian
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovejedd View Post
You have to mark it as [PDOC] (personal document) if you want cover support without needing to use Calibre send to device.

Code:
ebook-convert.exe input.epub output.mobi --personal-doc [PDOC]
Of course then it shows up as "Document" instead of "Book" or "Periodical". No sync either I believe but I've found that problematic for non-Kindle and non-Amazon cloud books anyway.
Odd. It seems that this command doesn't work for recipe-converted book. I tried to add "--personal-doc [PDOC]" but it still can't display cover and it still shows up as "Periodical".
Old 11-02-2019, 06:07 PM   #7
towhit523
towhit523 began at the beginning.

Device: nook, kindle, sony 600, ipad, iphone, droid
Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
This has nothing to do with kindlegen or ebook-convert amazon chose to not display the in-book cover on its kindles for files that have an ASIN not present on its servers. ebook-convert adds an ASIN kindlegen does not. Without the ASIN cross device syncing does not work. When you send the book via calibre calibre pregenerates the cover thumbnail to work around this Amazon policy.
Is there a way to access just the functionality in Calibre that pregenerates the cover thumbnail without going through the entire mobi to mobi conversion and save to disk process?
towhit523 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2019, 09:59 PM   #8
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

You dont convert to pregenerate cover thumbnails you use send to device. And no there is no way to do it other than using send to device.

Tags
conversion, ebook-convert, mobi cover, toc