Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 08-26-2019, 10:11 PM   #1
buckket
buckket began at the beginning.

Device: PW3
kindle-abfahrt – Public transportation depature times

Recently I finally got into hacking my Kindle PW3 and after a few experiments I thought it was time for a more useful project, that’s why I wrote a tool which displays departure information for public transport.

I figured the Kindle is more than capable to gather and render all necessary data on its own. And Go(lang) seemed like the perfect match for this job, language wise, as it is fast, comes with many useful libraries, and most importantly cross-compilation for ARM is really really easy.

kindle-abfahrt in action:
Spoiler:

Right now it is pretty much tailored to my own needs, meaning it only supports the API of my local transportation authority and the screen layout is hard-coded to the PW3’s screen resolution, but as I got most, if not all, information necessary to build this thing from MR I wanted to provide the source for reference or as a starting point for others who want to achieve a similar goal. Maybe even add support for other data providers and allow for easy customization of the screen layout so that non-programmers can benefit as well.

Source code and build instructions are over on GitHub:
https://github.com/buckket/kindle-abfahrt

And finally thanks to everyone for documenting your findings!
buckket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2019, 01:12 PM   #2
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i, 3g, 4, 5w, PW, PW2, PW5; Kobo H2O, Forma, Elipsa, Sage, C2E
You (or anyone else interested) should feel free to ping me about FBInk stuff when the time to make this device-agnostic comes .
NiLuJe is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-27-2019, 02:56 PM   #3
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
Thanks also for the *.stl of your Kindle stand.
A nice, simple, stand that would hold **most** of the Kindle models without change.

Black PETG?
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2019, 05:39 PM   #4
trcm
Connoisseur
trcm rocks like Gibraltar!trcm rocks like Gibraltar!trcm rocks like Gibraltar!trcm rocks like Gibraltar!trcm rocks like Gibraltar!trcm rocks like Gibraltar!trcm rocks like Gibraltar!trcm rocks like Gibraltar!trcm rocks like Gibraltar!trcm rocks like Gibraltar!trcm rocks like Gibraltar!

Device: Kindle PW4, Libra H2O
This looks great, is there any scope for interaction with the screen, for example being able to tap it to force an update, rather than it updating at a fixed interval ?
trcm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2019, 10:33 PM   #5
buckket
buckket began at the beginning.

Device: PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by trcm View Post
This looks great, is there any scope for interaction with the screen, for example being able to tap it to force an update, rather than it updating at a fixed interval ?
Not yet, unfortunately. I’ll look into it soon.
buckket is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert

Tags
golang