Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Onyx Boox

Notices

Old 08-18-2019, 12:37 PM   #1
Lyralen
Lyralen began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
Onyx Boox Note Pro not working with Adobe Digital Editions

Can anyone help?

My university library has a lot of ebooks that are meant to be read with Adobe Digital Editions. I downloaded the Adobe Digital Editions app on my Onyx Boox Note Pro, and successfully authorised the app, but books I have checked out do not appear in my Boox. Similarly, when I plug in my Note Pro to my laptop (I have tried this on both a Mac and a PC) the laptop edition of Adobe Digital Editions doesn't recognise my Note Pro.

Has anyone successfully used a Note Pro to read Adobe Digital Editions books? I am tearing out my hair over here.
Lyralen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2019, 01:06 PM   #2
vinniec
vinniec began at the beginning.

Device: none
I am totally against the use of DRM (but social with watermark is fine for me) and the problems of adobe with readers are well known. Obviously these are all complications that should not be there and in my opinion you should complain to adobe (who have arrogated the right to decide whether or not you can read the books you bought).
I've tried several times to remove the adobe drm from books but it wasn't possible, it can only be done with an old version that is often not available.
Also adobe, besides deciding if your device is worthy for opening the books you paid for, has decided that if you use linux you can not read since there is nothing official to download it from their servers (but anyone tell you when you buy a book).
Wine is not an official procedure and anyway it didn't work for me.
vinniec is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-25-2019, 05:17 AM   #3
lensmann
Zealot
lensmann ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lensmann ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lensmann ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lensmann ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lensmann ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lensmann ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lensmann ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lensmann ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lensmann ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lensmann ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lensmann ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One, Kobo Aura HD, Onyx Boox Max 2, ThinkBook Plus Gen 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lyralen View Post
Can anyone help?

My university library has a lot of ebooks that are meant to be read with Adobe Digital Editions. I downloaded the Adobe Digital Editions app on my Onyx Boox Note Pro, and successfully authorised the app, but books I have checked out do not appear in my Boox. Similarly, when I plug in my Note Pro to my laptop (I have tried this on both a Mac and a PC) the laptop edition of Adobe Digital Editions doesn't recognise my Note Pro.

Has anyone successfully used a Note Pro to read Adobe Digital Editions books? I am tearing out my hair over here.
This is a known issue with ADE for Android and occurs on a range of devices, not just Boox devices. Syncing does not work with any degree of reliability, and ADE on Android is almost never recognised by ADE on Windows or ADE on Mac. Unfortunately, Adobe do not appear to wish to devote resources to fixing the problem.

There are a couple of workarounds you might try.

1. Download the ebook on your laptop. Once it opens in ADE on your laptop, exit ADE. Connect your Note Pro to your laptop, and, using your laptop's file manager, manually copy the relevant .epub or .pdf file from the "My Digital Editions" folder on your Windows laptop to the "Digital Editions" folder on your Note Pro. ADE on your Note Pro should now see the file and open it. If it does not, start ADE and open it manually. This method works for me on my Boox Max 2, as long as I'm using the same ADE account on the Boox and the laptop where I downloaded the file.

2. If that doesn't work, Try borrowing the book directly from the browser on your Note Pro (i.e., use a web browser on the Note Pro to borrow the book from your library). This will download an .acsm file to the 'Downloads' folder on your Boox. If you're lucky, it will open automatically in ADE. If it doesn't, go to the 'Downloads' folder on your Boox, find the .acsm file, and open it in ADE. ADE should now download the relevant ebook.

I hope this helps!
lensmann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2019, 10:11 AM   #4
Lyralen
Lyralen began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
Thanks for the responses! Tried both suggested workarounds, and neither worked for me, unfortunately. So it's on to the wine, I guess . . .

In the meantime I am able to read in the browser straight off the EBSCO website, which is where the books are hosted, so that is something. Who needs to annotate, bookmark pages, or work offline anyway?
Lyralen is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
adobe digital editions, onyx boox note pro