Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > Kindle Formats

Notices

Old 08-10-2019, 09:16 PM   #1
jdunning
jdunning began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Oasis
Why would a .azw3 file work when side-loading but not when downloading?

I've got a .azw3 file that works great when it's side-loaded to a Kindle Oasis 2, either by simply dragging and dropping into the documents folder or by sending it via Calibre (only the latter preserves the cover), but when it's downloaded via the experimental browser, it never appears in the library, even though the browser confirms the download and I see it in the documents folder.

In contrast, I have a .azw3 that was converted by Calibre a few years ago that I can still download to the Oasis via the browser and it shows up fine.

The only difference I can think of is that the more recent file went through the Hyphenate plugin. Would that cause it to not download correctly?
jdunning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2019, 07:54 PM   #2
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave
Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K2, iPad, KFire, PPW, Voyage, NookColor. 2 Droid, Oasis, Boox Note2
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdunning View Post
I've got a .azw3 file that works great when it's side-loaded to a Kindle Oasis 2, either by simply dragging and dropping into the documents folder or by sending it via Calibre (only the latter preserves the cover), but when it's downloaded via the experimental browser, it never appears in the library, even though the browser confirms the download and I see it in the documents folder.

In contrast, I have a .azw3 that was converted by Calibre a few years ago that I can still download to the Oasis via the browser and it shows up fine.

The only difference I can think of is that the more recent file went through the Hyphenate plugin. Would that cause it to not download correctly?
Well, I freely admit, I've never used the "experimental browser." Can you elucidate? Why use it, rather than any of the other methods?

Hitch
Hitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-12-2019, 10:25 PM   #3
lumpynose
Wizard
lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palm Pilot M105
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hitch View Post
Well, I freely admit, I've never used the "experimental browser." Can you elucidate? Why use it, rather than any of the other methods?

Hitch
I saw this yesterday and was wondering the same thing. The only answer I could come up with is plain and simple masochism.

Last edited by lumpynose; 08-12-2019 at 10:40 PM.
lumpynose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2019, 09:28 PM   #4
jdunning
jdunning began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Oasis
It can be a little easier to explain to a non-technical person than dealing with connecting via USB and dragging to the right folder. Plus you don't have to constantly unplug to preview a file and replug to add a new version.

But back to the question at hand: any idea why downloading would not work for a particular .azw3 file?
jdunning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2019, 11:36 PM   #5
lumpynose
Wizard
lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Its name, "experimental browser" should answer the question. As a technical person I interpret that to mean that some or many things won't work. All that you can probably expect from it is the most basic ability, i.e., browsing web pages. I wouldn't type in your password on any pages or do anything else needing security because it may be unsafe; treat it as a read-only web browser. You read what's on the screen, tap links, and don't do anything else.
Advert
Old 08-16-2019, 12:00 AM   #6
ilovejedd
hopeless n00b
ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW4, PW3, Libra H2O, iPad 10.5, iPad 11, iPad 12.9
Quote:
Originally Posted by lumpynose View Post
Its name, "experimental browser" should answer the question. As a technical person I interpret that to mean that some or many things won't work. All that you can probably expect from it is the most basic ability, i.e., browsing web pages. I wouldn't type in your password on any pages or do anything else needing security because it may be unsafe; treat it as a read-only web browser. You read what's on the screen, tap links, and don't do anything else.
Nah. Once the file is downloaded to the Kindle, then the experimental browser is out of the equation. It should be treated the same as any azw3 file by the Kindle's indexer (at the very least, it should after restart)

@jdunning
By any chance, do you have another azw3 file with the same ASIN/identifier with on the Kindle? It's possible that may cause issues.

I download azw3 to my Kindles (AO3 fanfics) using the experimental browser all the time and barring the occasional incomplete/broken download due to my hotspot acting up, I haven't seen what you describe. Personally, not a fan of hyphenation so I've never used the Hyphenate plugin nor am I familiar with how it works.
ilovejedd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2019, 08:56 AM   #7
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave
Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovejedd View Post
Nah. Once the file is downloaded to the Kindle, then the experimental browser is out of the equation. It should be treated the same as any azw3 file by the Kindle's indexer (at the very least, it should after restart)

@jdunning
By any chance, do you have another azw3 file with the same ASIN/identifier with on the Kindle? It's possible that may cause issues.

I download azw3 to my Kindles (AO3 fanfics) using the experimental browser all the time and barring the occasional incomplete/broken download due to my hotspot acting up, I haven't seen what you describe. Personally, not a fan of hyphenation so I've never used the Hyphenate plugin nor am I familiar with how it works.

I have to ask--how does that even work? I mean, fine, you use the browser to browse to where? I take it you've put your AZW3 on a server ("In the cloud") someplace? Navigate there and download that way?

Vis-a-vis hyphenation--I used to think that. Then one day I was re-reading (in digital form for the first time) the Philo Vance series, from a web source, and realized that they didn't have ET and how much it really messed with my enjoyment of the books. You'd think that I, of all people, would have noticed that sooner, but I hadn't. The ET hyphenation isn't like ADE, with ladders everywhere; it's quite unobtrusive and the look/feel is so much more like printed books.

Hitch
Old 08-16-2019, 09:59 AM   #8
ilovejedd
hopeless n00b
ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
I have to ask--how does that even work? I mean, fine, you use the browser to browse to where? I take it you've put your AZW3 on a server ("In the cloud") someplace? Navigate there and download that way?
Just your run of the mill PHP web hosting (I use COPS and Calibre-PHP Server).

Just the fanfic libraries, though. My purchased books are on a local Apache HTTP server that's only accessible via LAN.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Experimental Browser.png
Views:	191
Size:	85.8 KB
ID:	172966  
Old 08-16-2019, 10:39 AM   #9
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave

Quote:
Just your run of the mill PHP web hosting (I use COPS and Calibre-PHP Server).

Just the fanfic libraries, though. My purchased books are on a local Apache HTTP server that's only accessible via LAN.
I see. So, you have your own cloud storage, for your own-created or converted books and you download therefrom. I freely admit, I've never considered that, but then again, I don't keep my books in a server that's cloud accessible.

Someone in the thread said that:

Quote:
...a little easier to explain to a non-technical person than dealing with connecting via USB and dragging to the right folder.
And in reading this, I'm laughing my ass off. Most of my customers don't even HAVE a Kindle, or K4PC/Mac or anything like that. They don't know how to download from a browser like Chrome/whatever, on their own desktops/laptops.
Spoiler:
(When we send them a "proof form" in Word and they use it for one revision round--they ask for a "new one" for the NEXT revision round. I kid thee not.)

I can just envision myself trying to get them to do THIS. Absolutely hilarious! Wow, thanks...I needed that laugh. (Wipes tears from laughter from her face...)

But, I greatly appreciate the information. Shows to go ya! Old dogs, new tricks.

Hitch
Old 08-16-2019, 11:52 AM   #10
ilovejedd
hopeless n00b

Quote:
Someone in the thread said that:
Quote:
...a little easier to explain to a non-technical person than dealing with connecting via USB and dragging to the right folder.
And in reading this, I'm laughing my ass off. Most of my customers don't even HAVE a Kindle, or K4PC/Mac or anything like that. They don't know how to download from a browser like Chrome/whatever, on their own desktops/laptops.

I can just envision myself trying to get them to do THIS. Absolutely hilarious! Wow, thanks...I needed that laugh. (Wipes tears from laughter from her face...)
I could actually see doing this for my mom or aunt or something (if they had an e-ink Kindle that is; they're happy reading on tablets).

Just create a bookmark to the library on the Kindle's experimental browser. Initial server setup and typing the link url is the hard part. Once that's done, it's similar to browsing the Kindle's ebook store.
Old 08-16-2019, 01:25 PM   #11
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave

Quote:
I could actually see doing this for my mom or aunt or something (if they had an e-ink Kindle that is; they're happy reading on tablets).

Just create a bookmark to the library on the Kindle's experimental browser. Initial server setup and typing the link url is the hard part. Once that's done, it's similar to browsing the Kindle's ebook store.
MWAHAHAHAHAHAHA....omg, your relatives and all that are SO far more advanced than my clients. My clients don't know "URL," must less adding BOOKMARKS.

Whew!
Spoiler:
(When you ask our customers what browser they're using, they tell us "Google!")

Hitch
Old 08-16-2019, 01:35 PM   #12
jhowell
Grand Sorcerer
jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdunning View Post
...when it's downloaded via the experimental browser, it never appears in the library, even though the browser confirms the download and I see it in the documents folder.
You state that you see the file on the Kindle. Have you done a file compare to make sure that it downloaded correctly?

If not then one thing to check for is that the server is delivering the book with the correct mime type.

Last edited by jhowell; 08-16-2019 at 01:39 PM.
jhowell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2019, 01:38 PM   #13
ilovejedd
hopeless n00b

Quote:
MWAHAHAHAHAHAHA....omg, your relatives and all that are SO far more advanced than my clients. My clients don't know "URL," must less adding BOOKMARKS.

Whew!
Spoiler:
(When you ask our customers what browser they're using, they tell us "Google!")
Lol, the URL is something *I* have to input and bookmark. No way they’ll be able to type a URL error free on a Kindle (or heck, even on their PCs). Once it’s bookmarked though, I just need to show them where to tap/click (with me physically there, can’t train them remotely) and after that, they can open the bookmark themselves.

Yeah, I don’t think my mom knows what web browsers are. She just knows the icon she has to click on so she can use the internet.
Old 08-16-2019, 02:02 PM   #14
lumpynose
Wizard

Quote:
Nah. Once the file is downloaded to the Kindle, then the experimental browser is out of the equation.
But it's in the equation when it's doing the download. My point was that it may not be correctly downloading the file; it could be mangling it during the download, or creating an empty file, etc.
Old 08-16-2019, 03:14 PM   #15
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhowell View Post
You state that you see the file on the Kindle. Have you done a file compare to make sure that it downloaded correctly?

If not then one thing to check for is that the server is delivering the book with the correct mime type.
Yes, this. We've seen an awful lot of file xfer issues with MOBI and KDP files. Whether the "mail to.." or the "Send to Kindle" app, the wifi...a LOT of issues.

Quote:
Lol, the URL is something *I* have to input and bookmark. No way they’ll be able to type a URL error free on a Kindle (or heck, even on their PCs). Once it’s bookmarked though, I just need to show them where to tap/click (with me physically there, can’t train them remotely) and after that, they can open the bookmark themselves.
Oh, you're with them, physically? Wow, what an advantage. I'm not, not remotely (ha!) and it's a nightmare trying to get them through opening their eBook files, etc. NIGHTMARE.

Quote:
Yeah, I don’t think my mom knows what web browsers are. She just knows the icon she has to click on so she can use the internet.
Yup; is she one of ours? LOL...

Quote:
Originally Posted by lumpynose View Post
But it's in the equation when it's doing the download. My point was that it may not be correctly downloading the file; it could be mangling it during the download, or creating an empty file, etc.
Yes. And I'd be shocked if it didn't mangle them.

Hitch