Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Sigil

Notices

Old 07-18-2019, 07:52 PM   #1
Josh Aenon
Josh Aenon began at the beginning.

Device: Adobe Acrobat
Exporting HTML and CSS animation in sigil

Do HTML and CSS animation or transitions work in epub file in an epub reader after exporting with the recent sigil 0.9.14 software?
Josh Aenon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2019, 08:32 PM   #2
lumpynose
Guru
lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palm Pilot M105
As a simple test I used the "Twisty" example from here since it doesn't use javascript:

https://cloudinary.com/blog/creating_html5_animations

I saved the epub file and then opened it in Adobe Digital Dimensions on my PC and it did animate. I opened it in calibre's ebook viewer and it did not animate. I sent it to a Kobo Forma and it did not animate.

I would think that it would not be attractive on an ereader with an e-ink display since e-ink is slow. Using an epub app on Android might fare better, assuming the app supports animations (Android e-reader apps tend to be fairly dodgy with what they support).
lumpynose is online now   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-18-2019, 08:42 PM   #3
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Sigil has nothing to do with whether or not your css3 animation code will work in any particular epub3 rendering system. If it's valid html/css, Sigil will let you save it.

Last edited by DiapDealer; 07-18-2019 at 08:45 PM.
DiapDealer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2019, 02:58 AM   #4
Josh Aenon

Thanks alot lumpynose but can i get the sample epub file you did with the animation let me try it out in my own app epub reader?
Old 07-19-2019, 03:08 AM   #5
Josh Aenon

@Diapdealer if am correct you are trying to say sigil accepts HTML5 and CSS 3 codes and can export them as epub 3?
Advert
Old 07-19-2019, 03:11 AM   #6
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One, Aura H2O, Aura HD, Nexus 7 HD, iPad Air, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh Aenon View Post
@Diapdealer if am correct you are trying to say sigil accepts HTML5 and CSS 3 codes and can export them as epub 3?
You can set a preference in Sigil as to whether you want to start editing a new epub as epub2 or epub3.

Sigil natively can not change the epub type between epub2 and epub3 on the fly. There are a couple of plugins that you might find useful though I personally have not used either of them. The epub3-itizer plugin will let you save an epub3 version of an epub2 file and the epub2 output plugin will save an epub2 version of an epub3 file.

Last edited by DNSB; 07-19-2019 at 03:20 AM.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2019, 06:40 AM   #7
KevinH
Wizard
KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: many
Yes, Sigil supports generating epub3, css3, html 5 to the same extent the Chrome browser does, but that is not the point DiapDealer was trying to make. He was trying to point out that each e-reader implements their own viewer so if you produce a proper epub3, there is no guarantee that a specific reader supports the features you are choosing to use.
KevinH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2019, 08:20 AM   #8
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

And for what it's worth, the QtWebEngine Preview used by both Sigil and PageEdit renders the the above "Twisty" css-only animation example just fine (with the Qt5.12.3 packaged with the Windows and Mac installers for Sigil 0.9.15+, anyway). But as mentioned earlier, Sigil doesn't have anything to do whether or not the animation will be supported on any particular ereader or epub rendering system. It all depends on their conformance to/interpretation of epub/html/css specs.

Also, there is no need to "export" epubs from Sigil. Sigil has long had the ability to create, edit, and save EPUBS (both EPUB2 and EPUB3). So the notion of "exporting" an epub from Sigil is a bit misleading and/or confusing. The working version IS the final product. Sigil doesn't use an intermediate, proprietary format (like Gimp) that needs to be exported as an epub when ready. And there is no compilation/conversion like with creating a Kindlebook. The markup you write is the markup in the epub. It's just a zipfile with rules (and a different file extension).
Attached Files
File Type: epub Twisty.epub (2.6 KB, 20 views)

Last edited by DiapDealer; 07-19-2019 at 12:42 PM.
Old 07-19-2019, 01:15 PM   #9
lumpynose
Guru
lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Thanks alot lumpynose but can i get the sample epub file you did with the animation let me try it out in my own app epub reader?
You would ask for that, after I threw it away and emptied the trash.

What I did was copy the text from that page, the html into the xhtml file that Sigil provides, and created a new css file and pasted the css into that and then right clicked on the xhtml file and linked the css file to it. Save and you're good to go.

Edit: I didn't read all the responses and now I see that DiapDealer made the file for you.

Last edited by lumpynose; 07-19-2019 at 01:18 PM.
Old 07-19-2019, 01:32 PM   #10
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by lumpynose View Post
Edit: I didn't read all the responses and now I see that DiapDealer made the file for you.
I did kind of slap it on there without commenting about it.
Old 07-19-2019, 06:16 PM   #11
Josh Aenon

Thanks alot guys i appreciate
Old 07-19-2019, 07:50 PM   #12
jackie_w
Wizard
jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-350, Kobo: Aura6", H2O, GloHD, KA1, ClaraHD, Forma
In case anyone is interested, that Twisty.epub attached in DiapDealer's post #8 does display its animation in Android epub apps Bookari and Gitden.
jackie_w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2019, 07:56 PM   #13
Josh Aenon

What if you want to build an app that can read it's animations, what and what do you need to know, and what are the essentials?
Old 07-20-2019, 02:36 AM   #14
lumpynose
Guru

Quote:
What if you want to build an app that can read it's animations, what and what do you need to know, and what are the essentials?
You want to build an HTML5 app? As in write the code?
Old 07-20-2019, 05:07 AM   #15
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer

This really isn't the right venue for "how do I design an app?" discussions.