Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Barnes & Noble NOOK

Notices

Old 05-31-2019, 10:16 AM   #1
Michael Alfaro
Michael Alfaro began at the beginning.

Device: Nook Glowlight Plus 2019
Battery drain issues on New Nook Glowlight Plus?

Okay, so day one, went to B&N and bought the new Nook Glowlight Plus. Loved it but there was a dead pixel and I'm a nut so I traded it in for another. This one is great, no dead pixels. Love it, it seems quicker than the Glowlight 3, the screen is excellent, it's what I've wanted for a long while (since I decided against the Oasis and returned the Kobo Forma when I tried it). I sideloaded some epubs since Calibre isn't able to do it for me (but will soon) and I've been reading like a fiend. So far, so good. Well, yesterday, while my new Nook was in my office, having about a 68% charge at the start of the day. I read during lunch and it seemed fine. Later in the day, I want to say at quitting time but it might have been during my last break, I picked up my Nook and was surprised to get a low battery warning! Wifi is off, screen brightness a little less (or right around) 50%, and my lunch is only an hour (of which I might have read about 40 minutes or so). I plug it in to charge and leave it alone until it's 100%. Last night, I'm reading and before I go to sleep it's at 96%. This morning, unplugged and unused, I pick it up to check and it's down to 67%. I charged it again and now I'm going to capture how much drainage I experience, unused, before I go back to the store and get another one! Has anyone else had this experience? Does anyone have any suggestions other than exchanging it? Please share. Thanks.
Michael Alfaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2019, 10:28 AM   #2
Calenorn
Brash Fumbler
Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: NST, Kobo Mini
Is it trying to upgrade the firmware? Maybe it's continually trying to make a wifi connection?
Calenorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-31-2019, 11:44 AM   #3
Michael Alfaro

Two hours in, each hour has shown battery holding steady at 99%. Wonder if it was a fluke?
Old 05-31-2019, 11:45 AM   #4
Michael Alfaro

Good question. I hadn't considered that. I wouldn't think it would try to connect with Wifi off but who knows?
Old 05-31-2019, 11:53 AM   #5
Michael Alfaro

So, connected to my Wifi and checked for updates. None found. I really don't know what's going on.
Advert
Old 05-31-2019, 05:40 PM   #6
AkiraReader
Connoisseur
AkiraReader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AkiraReader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AkiraReader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AkiraReader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AkiraReader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AkiraReader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AkiraReader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AkiraReader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AkiraReader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AkiraReader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AkiraReader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox, Kindles
Didn't Kobo have something like this, where it would constantly check for updates, enabling WiFi randomly? I think whoever had that issue patched it.

And you had dead pixel too? Must be more common than I had expected.
AkiraReader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2019, 08:12 AM   #7
Michael Alfaro

Yeah, in all honesty it was tiny but my eye kept gravitating toward it so, while still in the store, I decided to ask for another. Customer service was great, no problem swapping it out and my second one is perfect.
As for my battery concern, it must have been a one off, possibly if was looking for updates, as suggested. Overnight it only lost one percent asleep so I'm just going to keep an eye on it moving forward. It really is a great device! I'm enjoying it immensely.
Old 06-08-2019, 11:50 PM   #8
apastuszak
Evangelist
apastuszak reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.apastuszak reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.apastuszak reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.apastuszak reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.apastuszak reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.apastuszak reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.apastuszak reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.apastuszak reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.apastuszak reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.apastuszak reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.apastuszak reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, nook Glowlight Plus, Apple iPad Air 2
These things have such great battery life, we forget these things stay ON for weeks, just going to sleep occasionally. First step when anything like this happens is to reboot.
apastuszak is offline   Reply With Quote