Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 05-17-2019, 11:38 PM   #1
DeKuns
Connoisseur
DeKuns rocks like Gibraltar!DeKuns rocks like Gibraltar!DeKuns rocks like Gibraltar!DeKuns rocks like Gibraltar!DeKuns rocks like Gibraltar!DeKuns rocks like Gibraltar!DeKuns rocks like Gibraltar!DeKuns rocks like Gibraltar!DeKuns rocks like Gibraltar!DeKuns rocks like Gibraltar!DeKuns rocks like Gibraltar!

Device: Kindle DX Graphite
Registration of classic Kindle is disabled on purpose by Amazon?

You all might know that Gen 1-2 Kindle which is 3G only is now unable to de-register. Factory reset will de-register this from the device but the device will not be able to register again: Rendering the classic device semi-bricked (unable to register, buy books, connect to internet, and create collections).

Some people never though that the move is by intention and won't believe that it is for the benefit of Amazon because Amazon over and over again said they are not making profit by selling Kindle device.

Guess what, we might have been tricked! It is not about the profit margin. It is about recovering production and inventory cost of unsold Kindle.

By disabling deregister and registration of old devices, Amazon can benefit. They kill the market of classic Kindle and push new users to buy new Kindle. If classic Kindle users want to give away their Kindle to others, they will try to deregister from the device. It will not work, so they will factory reset this. Viola semi bricking Kindle that unable to register through the device. Another push for new users to buy new Kindle and help Amazon to recover their production and inventory cost of unsold Kindle! This is really bad! Very bad practice!

The 3G only Kindle is a perfect test target because Amazon can spell three mantras: 1. The device is too old, 2. May be 3G has phased out in your area, 3. We give you 15% discount for a new Kindle. Again the key is to push Kindle in their inventory out.

Who knows that if they are successful to get away with this practice on Gen 1-2, they will not try it on Gen 3 and the newer models?

These are theories and opinions only, but it should warning us of something!

Last edited by DeKuns; 05-20-2019 at 10:32 AM.
DeKuns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2019, 08:18 AM   #2
jhowell
Wizard
jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 2, Fire, iPad Air 2, Nexus 7
"Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity."
jhowell is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-18-2019, 03:08 PM   #3
binaryhermit
Guru
binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 3rd gen, Kindle Keyboard with 3g
It's probably Sprint's fault for starting to decomission pre-LTE networks?
binaryhermit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2019, 04:42 PM   #4
lumpynose
Fanatic
lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: eBookMan EBM-900
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhowell View Post
"Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity."
I had a boss who invariably thought that whenever she had trouble with other managers that it was because they were trying to knife her in the back. Her boss explained it away with that quote but in a slightly expanded version, "Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by ignorance, laziness, or stupidity."

I tried and succeeded registering with my ancient and venerable Kindle Touch.

I can't work up much sympathy for people who get bit by this. These electronic gizmos aren't like shoes, clothing, furniture, etc. where you can use it until it falls apart. Obsolescence is part of the package and you should be happy if you get more than 3 years use out of it.
lumpynose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2019, 05:20 PM   #5
Deskisamess
Guru
Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 7+, iPad mini, 2018 iPad Pro 12.9", KO2
There are two lengthy threads on the Amazon forums about this. Many conspiracy theory comments, and other speculating.

Most of us think it's a combination of issues, 3G support dropping, updates to Amazon's delivery systems that don't work correctly with the older hardware, and so on.

Amazon has been great about giving discounts towards new devices, I ended up getting $27.50 off the sale price of $89.99 for the newest Paperwhite for a trade in of my K2. $5 in trade, 25% off the new device.

After I reset the K2 back to factory specs, it still showed on my account. Trying to deregister from Content & Devices pulled an error. I had to have CS remove it from my account. I assume this error was related to whatever is going on with the older devices.

How much can the dropping support for 3G have to do with this, when Amazon still sells Kindles that offer 3G?
Deskisamess is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-18-2019, 11:20 PM   #6
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, HDX 8.9, AuraHD, NookHD+, Kindle 2,3,T, Opus, iPhone 6, +
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deskisamess View Post
How much can the dropping support for 3G have to do with this, when Amazon still sells Kindles that offer 3G?
The original Kindle and original Kindle 2's used Sprint's CDMA network. Newer Kindle's use AT&T's GSM network. Newer Kindle's also support WiFi along with cellular where the K1 & K2 were cellular only.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2019, 11:36 PM   #7
DeKuns
Connoisseur
DeKuns rocks like Gibraltar!DeKuns rocks like Gibraltar!DeKuns rocks like Gibraltar!DeKuns rocks like Gibraltar!DeKuns rocks like Gibraltar!DeKuns rocks like Gibraltar!DeKuns rocks like Gibraltar!DeKuns rocks like Gibraltar!DeKuns rocks like Gibraltar!DeKuns rocks like Gibraltar!DeKuns rocks like Gibraltar!

Mine is Kindle DX Graphite. 3G is five bars, I can browse the Kindle store. So 3G is working. The linkage to and from Amazon server is broken after a factory reset.

If you happen still has Gen 1-2 that still registered and connect to Amazon, then do not factory reset. Deregister from the device will not work. I never try it because my Kindle has been factory reset but to smoothly transfer registration of these Kindle might be possible by asking Amazon CS to move it from one account to another by chat or phone as long as it is not factory reset recently.

Let Amazon solved this either by fixing or announce EoL of Gen 1-2!

What I do know from the debug file that they asked me to produce from the device and sent it to them is that:
1. Once factory reset, "/var/local/java/prefs/certs" is empty.
2. When Kindle device tried to register, it will check somekind of DRM signature at this location, /var/local/java/prefs/acsr. It will not find it after factory reset.
3. Because the file is not found in the Kindle device, it asked this from Amazon server at "fras.amazon.com". At this point the Kindle device will get "file not found" from the server.

This is happen even after installing 2016 Kindle service update. I just hope my opinion is wrong and Amazon technician only by their ignorance move the what @knc1 called "general certificate" to other location. If the second one that happen, then Amazon better update their 2016 Kindle security update to point this new location.

Last edited by DeKuns; 05-18-2019 at 11:48 PM.
Old 05-19-2019, 12:50 AM   #8
lumpynose
Fanatic
lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: eBookMan EBM-900
My Kindle Touch is using my home WiFi, not 3G.
lumpynose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2019, 07:03 AM   #9
Deskisamess
Guru
Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lumpynose View Post
My Kindle Touch is using my home WiFi, not 3G.
The Kindles with this issue do not have WiFi...they only have 3G connectivity. The WiFi models aren't part of this "problem."

My K2 used at&t, not sprint. There doesn't seem to be any difference as far as the problem goes, owners of both models have the issue.

Personally, I think people are making too much of this issue. The 2nd gen Kindles are 10 years old at this point. Amazon has more than taken care of any obligation they had to support these older devices.
Old 05-19-2019, 09:41 AM   #10
DeKuns
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deskisamess View Post
The Kindles with this issue do not have WiFi...they only have 3G connectivity. The WiFi models aren't part of this "problem."

My K2 used at&t, not sprint. There doesn't seem to be any difference as far as the problem goes, owners of both models have the issue.

Personally, I think people are making too much of this issue. The 2nd gen Kindles are 10 years old at this point. Amazon has more than taken care of any obligation they had to support these older devices.
Sorry, but have you checked how your Kindle device behaves when you factory reset and then you try to register from the device? Please do that to sense the actual situation.

At the registration stage, your device will be fully in Amazon hand. In Gen 2 Kindle, it is obvious their server did not return the certificate file that the device asked from the Amazon certificate server. So Amazon could really make your device obsolete at their desire just by not returning the certificate that the Kindle device asked. If Amazon wants that tomorrow is the time to kill connections of Gen 3, then they can do that by removing the certificate specific to your Kindle Gen 3 serial number, for example. So it is not about whether your device wifi, 3G + wifi, or 3G only.

I am okay that they kill connections of Gen 1-2. What I have in hand is a Kindle DX Graphite. So it is more looks like a mini Linux 9.7" e-ink tablet if I decide to root it later. But certainly, I will not buy a new Kindle just because it is new. There are nearly not much hardware innovations of e-ink Kindle for the last 10 years.

Last edited by DeKuns; 05-19-2019 at 10:03 AM.
Old 05-19-2019, 11:19 AM   #11
Deskisamess
Guru

I buy new devices when I need one, or when they improve the reading experience so that the newer models offers benefits I'd like. I had a DXG, and didn't care for it after using it a few weeks. I used it off and on for a couple of years, then sold it.

New models are vastly improved, especially when compared with the 2nd gen Kindles. I traded in my K2 AT%T model on a new Paperwhite, and got more than 10% back on the price I paid for the K2 in 2009. I am more than satisfied with Amazon's handling of this issue.

My go to device is the 2017 Oasis. The new Paperwhite is a travel Kindle, and a backup in case hubby's 6 year old Paperwhite dies.
Old 05-19-2019, 03:33 PM   #12
jhowell
Wizard
jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 2, Fire, iPad Air 2, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeKuns View Post
If Amazon wants that tomorrow is the time to kill connections of Gen 3, then they can do that by removing the certificate specific to your Kindle Gen 3 serial number, for example.
if Amazon wants to make a Kindle model obsolete they have more direct ways of accomplishing that. I suspect that the current situation with older units is due to lack of interest within Amazon in maintaining the infrastructure that supports them.
jhowell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2019, 08:42 PM   #13
BookCat
C L J
BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony e-reader 505, Kindle Paperwhite 2
On first reading the OP, I assumed they'd bought a stolen kindle, which was why it couldn't be registered; but it seems to be more complex than that.

On the point that Amazon make money by selling new kindles, I read (here, I think) that they sell the readers at a loss and make the money on the sale of ebooks. If that is the case, it wouldn't be in their interest to deliberately disable an ereader's ability to buy books.
BookCat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2019, 07:37 AM   #14
DeKuns
Connoisseur

In early 2017, this kind of thing happened. Got a remedy for a while, then by mid 2017, Amazon did it again of not allowing registration from the device. You can read it here: https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=283281

The problem got a brief remedy because some of mobileread's users emailed Jeff Bezos with a hard message. From the thread, Amazon really can exercise their authority to do what they want to do with our Kindle device. So there is no guarantee that once they can get a seemingly "legit" issue for the later Gen they will not again exercise their authority.

Last edited by DeKuns; 05-20-2019 at 07:56 AM.
Old 05-20-2019, 02:01 PM   #15
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeKuns View Post
In early 2017, this kind of thing happened. Got a remedy for a while, then by mid 2017, Amazon did it again of not allowing registration from the device. You can read it here: https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=283281

The problem got a brief remedy because some of mobileread's users emailed Jeff Bezos with a hard message. From the thread, Amazon really can exercise their authority to do what they want to do with our Kindle device. So there is no guarantee that once they can get a seemingly "legit" issue for the later Gen they will not again exercise their authority.
That was me the first time around. I'd have to dig that K2US (Sprint) dinosaur out of retirement to test if the problem was happening again. If I remember (and if it can still hold a charge), I'll see what happens after a factory reset.
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote