Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > Kindle Formats

Notices

Old 04-05-2019, 05:19 AM   #1
Klip
Enthusiast
Klip began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
Table of contents doesn't show up in Kindle Previewer

I'm creating an ebook in Sigil, and then converting it to Kindle format using the Kindle previewer.

When I view the book in the Kindle Previewer, I cannot access the table of contents from the "view all" menu. Earlier versions of this book, I was able to do that. I think the problem started when I added pages in Sigil.

I've had a look at content.opf and I can't see anything wrong. The TOC is listed in the guide section: <reference type="toc" title="contents" href="Text/contents.xhtml"/>

When I test this book on a Kindle device, I can go to the table of contents using the "go to" menu, and I can jump from chapter to chapter using the next chapter buttons. So the logical toc seems to be working.

It just makes me nervous that this book is displaying differently in the Kindle Viewer, as if there's something wrong with it. Am I being paranoid?

I've attached screenshots of what the book looks like in the Kindle Previewer, the first screenshot shows the book as it is now, where I cannot access the TOC and only one page is shown. The other screenshot shows the book as it used to be, where I can access the TOC from that drop down menu, and the other pages are displayed as well.

Any advice much appreciated.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	sc.jpg
Views:	479
Size:	141.2 KB
ID:	170583   Click image for larger version

Name:	sc2.jpg
Views:	376
Size:	177.5 KB
ID:	170584  
Klip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2019, 09:24 AM   #2
jhowell
Grand Sorcerer
jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles
Your logical TOC is in the bottom half of the far left column in both cases. The real problem is that your original book shows Enhanced Typesetting supported and the new one does not. This is likely due to a problem in the coding of the book. I suggest running EpubCheck on it.
jhowell is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-06-2019, 08:48 AM   #3
Klip
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhowell View Post
Your logical TOC is in the bottom half of the far left column in both cases. The real problem is that your original book shows Enhanced Typesetting supported and the new one does not. This is likely due to a problem in the coding of the book. I suggest running EpubCheck on it.
Thanks for your response. I've run EPUBCHECK on it and that didn't find any problems.

I'm now recreating the book step by step from the last version that worked properly to see if I can find where I went wrong.
Old 04-06-2019, 09:32 AM   #4
Klip
Enthusiast

...and I found the cause of the problem. I had 2 unicode symbols in the text that's not supported by Kindle. I thought I'd removed it, but must have missed that one.

It was U+1F65D and U+1F65F

when I removed them from the book, the problem disappears.