Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 11-08-2018, 09:57 AM   #1
SKK
Addict
SKK makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneSKK makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneSKK makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneSKK makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneSKK makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneSKK makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneSKK makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneSKK makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneSKK makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneSKK makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneSKK makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplane

Device: N/A
All New Paperwhite (10th Generation) Teardown

deleted
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20181108_094238 (Medium) (Small).jpg
Views:	5085
Size:	118.6 KB
ID:	167529  

Last edited by SKK; 10-13-2019 at 08:27 PM.
SKK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2018, 10:18 AM   #2
coplate
Guru
coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: prs-505, Kindle Keyboard 3g, PW3
Did you take this apart, or are you sharing from another site?

I was worried that the waterproofing would make it very difficult to dissasemble.

That serial port looks identical to the ones for hte last 5 years. Im really hoping to find the part that actually fits in that pad.
coplate is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-08-2018, 10:32 AM   #3
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
The thing that strikes me is how much wasted space there is!
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2018, 10:46 AM   #4
coplate
Guru
coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdurrant View Post
The thing that strikes me is how much wasted space there is!
A lot of that space is for the Cell phone modem that's included on the 3g version.

See the row of square blocks along the battery, those are likely the screw holes to hold the 3g modem in place, and from other teardowns it does take most of the empty space up.
Old 11-08-2018, 10:48 AM   #5
SKK
Addict
SKK makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneSKK makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneSKK makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneSKK makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneSKK makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneSKK makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneSKK makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneSKK makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneSKK makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneSKK makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneSKK makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplane

Quote:
Originally Posted by coplate View Post

I was worried that the waterproofing would make it very difficult to dissasemble.

That serial port looks identical to the ones for hte last 5 years. Im really hoping to find the part that actually fits in that pad.
I took it apart. It was easy. The screen, with the motherboard and battery are just held in by clips to the back framing. No glue.
Advert
Old 11-08-2018, 10:57 AM   #6
coplate
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by SKK View Post
I took it apart. It was easy. The screen, with the motherboard and battery are just held in by clips to the back framing. No glue.

Thats good news and bad news then.

good that it is easy to take apart.

Bad that... How is it waterproof?

I will not be able to take mine apart until I get home from work tonight.

Can you show an image of the back framing? Is there a gasket or anything that presses up against the metal of the front?
Old 11-08-2018, 11:08 AM   #7
SKK
Addict

Quote:

Thats good news and bad news then.

good that it is easy to take apart.

Bad that... How is it waterproof?

I will not be able to take mine apart until I get home from work tonight.

Can you show an image of the back framing? Is there a gasket or anything that presses up against the metal of the front?
Here are some more photos. There is a rubber seal around the edge that makes it water proof.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20181108_110244.jpg
Views:	2109
Size:	564.3 KB
ID:	167531   Click image for larger version

Name:	20181108_110219.jpg
Views:	1852
Size:	701.9 KB
ID:	167532  
Old 11-08-2018, 12:31 PM   #8
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
Quote:

I posted it.

PM me an address and I'll mail you some (including the matching connector and pins).
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2018, 01:35 PM   #9
coplate
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by knc1 View Post
I posted it.

PM me an address and I'll mail you some (including the matching connector and pins).
I know you told me you thought you had posted it way back, but I could never find the posts.
Old 11-08-2018, 01:43 PM   #10
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SKK View Post
Can you tell whether the screen has a glass substrate or a plastic one?
Old 11-08-2018, 01:52 PM   #11
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
Quote:
I know you told me you thought you had posted it way back, but I could never find the posts.
Taken from the (29-nov-2013) order form (K4 through current):

Board mount connector:
https://www.mouser.com/ProductDetail/538-78171-0003

Matching cable connector:
https://www.mouser.com/ProductDetail/538-78172-0003

Cable connector pins:
https://www.mouser.com/ProductDetail/538-78172-0410

Those links are to Mouser listings, the product is by Molex, each of the above linked pages has Molex part numbers and links to the Molex datasheet for each.

You will probably want to order a strong magnifying glass to go with those parts.
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2018, 02:07 PM   #12
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i, 3g, 4, 5w, PW, PW2, PW5; Kobo H2O, Forma, Elipsa, Sage, C2E
@pdurrant: No hint of that in the Kernel, AFAICT.
NiLuJe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2018, 02:26 PM   #13
Strether
Guru
Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 1; iPad Air; iPhone 7; Kobo Libra; Kindle Oasis 3
My eyes aren't good enough to determine the size of the battery. Can someone else tell?

Jim
Strether is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2018, 02:27 PM   #14
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠

Quote:
Originally Posted by NiLuJe View Post
@pdurrant: No hint of that in the Kernel, AFAICT.
I wouldn't expect the substrate to make any difference to the software (although I know that you know a lot more about Kindle internals than me).
Old 11-08-2018, 02:30 PM   #15
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strether View Post
My eyes aren't good enough to determine the size of the battery. Can someone else tell?

Jim
The label on the battery gives 5.7Wh or 1500mAh at 3.8V

Tags
teardown