Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 06-13-2018, 03:01 PM   #1
SF2010
SF2010 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
Kindle Options

Dear all,

New to the forum, so apologies if this thread has appeared elsewhere, or is a potential duplication.

I was hoping you could kindly help with the following: I am looking to replace/update my 2011 Kindle to something with a backlight etc. and am tempted to go for the latest model (?) 2017 Oasis. However, (and for understandable reasons as this is not an exact science) am unfamiliar with the frequency of hardware updates when it comes to Kindle. I know Apple of course, tend to update iPads etc. fairly frequently, and the iPhones yearly. Long story short, I would like to avoid if possible buying something now only for a release to materialise just around the corner. Clearly, its impossible to predict the exact where and when, but if, for example, new releases take place in August then I would be tempted to hold fire for a little while longer.

Many thanks in advance for any advice — greatly appreciated.
SF2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2018, 03:25 PM   #2
ilovejedd
hopeless n00b
ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW4, PW3, Libra H2O, iPad 10.5, iPad 11, iPad 12.9
Recent Kindle releases:

Kindle Oasis 2: October 2017
Kindle Oasis: April 2016

Kindle Voyage: November 2014

Kindle Paperwhite 3: June 2015
Kindle Paperwhite 2: September 2013

Kindle 8: June 2016
Kindle 7: September 2014

I wish you luck in finding a pattern.
ilovejedd is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-13-2018, 07:33 PM   #3
Mivo
Fanatic
Mivo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mivo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mivo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mivo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mivo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mivo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mivo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mivo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mivo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mivo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mivo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: In use: Pocketbook InkPad 3, Kobo Glo, iPad Air 2
The Oasis 2 has a 300 dpi display, which is state of the art. As far as I know, e-ink haven't announced a higher resolution screen yet. The main thing I feel the Kindle readers lack is a color-shifting frontlight with a blue light filter (pretty big now with tablets, Windows, other readers), so that is something I could see coming.
Mivo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2018, 03:31 PM   #4
SF2010

Many thanks for both replies — much appreciated. Yes, will have to break out an algorithm for that pattern!

Interesting point re the Oasis 2, so it looks like a new release is unlikely (at least for the foreseeable future) in considerably bettering the display though I do agree about the blue light filter. Night shift mode and True Tone combined is something I do appreciate on Apple devices.
Old 06-14-2018, 03:57 PM   #5
Barbara1955
Non-Techy
Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Cell Phone & Amazon Fires & Kobo eReaders
None ... No Kindle is Backlight ALL are Front lighted! ALL since the Voyage.. PW3 & Both Oasis have 300 ppi. On a personal note my White Bezil PW3 had blue lights Worked great till it started locking up!
Barbara1955 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-15-2018, 05:33 AM   #6
John F
Grand Sorcerer
John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mivo View Post
The Oasis 2 has a 300 dpi display, which is state of the art. As far as I know, e-ink haven't announced a higher resolution screen yet. The main thing I feel the Kindle readers lack is a color-shifting frontlight with a blue light filter (pretty big now with tablets, Windows, other readers), so that is something I could see coming.
The screen used on the Aura One has a higher resolution screen and is also 300 dpi.
John F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2018, 05:51 AM   #7
Mivo
Fanatic
Mivo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mivo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mivo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mivo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mivo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mivo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mivo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mivo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mivo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mivo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mivo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: In use: Pocketbook InkPad 3, Kobo Glo, iPad Air 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by John F View Post
The screen used on the Aura One has a higher resolution screen and is also 300 dpi.
dpi/ppi is the resolution, though, regardless of screen size. Maybe we define it differently? (Just like computer monitors can have the same resolution of, say, 1440p, whether they are 32" or 27".)
Mivo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2018, 07:29 AM   #8
John F
Grand Sorcerer
John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mivo View Post
dpi/ppi is the resolution, though, regardless of screen size. Maybe we define it differently? (Just like computer monitors can have the same resolution of, say, 1440p, whether they are 32" or 27".)
Yes, different definitions.

My definitions:

Resolution: X pixels by Y pixels. For example 1280 x 720.
dpi, ppi: pixels per inch. For example 300dpi.
John F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2018, 08:27 AM   #9
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovejedd View Post
Recent Kindle releases:

[snip]

I wish you luck in finding a pattern.
Kindle Oasis 2: October 2017
Kindle Paperwhite 3 Manga: October 2016
Kindle 8: June 2016
Kindle Oasis: April 2016
Kindle Paperwhite 3: June 2015
Kindle Voyage: November 2014
Kindle 7: September 2014
Kindle Paperwhite 2: September 2013
Kindle 5: September 2012
Kindle Paperwhite: September 2012

Completely new models in September 2012 (Paperwhite), November 2014 (Voyage) and April 2016 (Oasis).

I wonder if they have a new form factor planned for 2018?
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2018, 10:34 AM   #10
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: H2O, Aura One, PW5
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdurrant View Post

Completely new models in September 2012 (Paperwhite), November 2014 (Voyage) and April 2016 (Oasis).

I wonder if they have a new form factor planned for 2018?
I'd argue that the Oasis 2 was a completely new model with a recycled name. Following on that and looking at your list, I'd think that the next obvious new product would be an updated Voyage; otherwise, I think they'd discontinue it and go for an all-new PW. But I'm just theorizing and I'm obviously not a Kindle expert.
issybird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2018, 11:41 AM   #11
haydnfan
Guru
haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW 4, Oasis 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by SF2010 View Post
Dear all,
However, (and for understandable reasons as this is not an exact science) am unfamiliar with the frequency of hardware updates when it comes to Kindle.
There hasn't been a significant change since the Voyage released nearly four years ago. At that point ereaders hit print quality resolution. There have been no advances in color or contrast and there probably won't be. I don't know the state of cpus but all Kindle models have felt similarly responsive for a few years now. You will not suffer buyer's remorse from buying the Oasis 2.
haydnfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2018, 08:52 AM   #12
patrickt
Wizard
patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite 4 X 2
For me, the Paperwhite is the best Kindle. The only reason I have a Kindle is to read books and the Paperwhite meets the bill for me. It is lighted, has a wonderful case that protects rather than personalizes your device, doesn't have silly page-turn buttons, and just works wonderfully for me.

I have a Voyage and gave it to a college student. I bought an Oasis 2, was underwhelmed but planned on keeping it, until I got the email saying the case wasn't available for months and that was followed by a message saying the case was never intended to protect the device. I returned it.

Now I'm waiting to see the Paperwhite 4.
patrickt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2018, 10:19 AM   #13
SF2010

Many thanks for all the input. I did see the Paperwhite 4 is due ‘sometime’ in the summer & comes with ‘comfort light’ so may be tempted to hold fire even though, the Oasis 2 would not likely prompt buyer’s remorse...
Old 06-16-2018, 11:17 AM   #14
Barbara1955
Non-Techy
Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Cell Phone & Amazon Fires & Kobo eReaders
https://www.amazon.com/Amazon-Trade-...ode=9187220011

Just got an e-mail so its time to decide & save!
Barbara1955 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2018, 12:06 PM   #15
haydnfan
Guru
haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW 4, Oasis 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by SF2010 View Post
Many thanks for all the input. I did see the Paperwhite 4 is due ‘sometime’ in the summer & comes with ‘comfort light’ so may be tempted to hold fire even though, the Oasis 2 would not likely prompt buyer’s remorse...
Goodereader is not to be trusted. They create rumors and lies for clicks and have no insider information. A Paperwhite 4 is only due when Jeff Bezos tweets "expect a new Paperwhite next week."

If there is a Paperwhite 4 it will most likely be the same screen but a shell that is smaller (more like the current basic). I wouldn't expect anything else because Amazon would reserve those features for the step up models.
haydnfan is offline   Reply With Quote