Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Library Management

Notices

Old 04-19-2018, 09:25 PM   #1
terry.nz
terry.nz is no ebook tyro.terry.nz is no ebook tyro.terry.nz is no ebook tyro.terry.nz is no ebook tyro.terry.nz is no ebook tyro.terry.nz is no ebook tyro.terry.nz is no ebook tyro.terry.nz is no ebook tyro.terry.nz is no ebook tyro.terry.nz is no ebook tyro.

Device: Kobo Glo
Request: ability to add notes to series

I have a large number of books and I'd say at least 50 series. When compiling the books into series I have difficulty in determining a website that can be "trusted" to display the correct series order and which books are in it.

Would it be possible to include additional data (another text field) attached to the series where one could write up some notes about the series? This might be the website address and/or other pertinent data.

I currently use http://www.isfdb.org for mainly scifi series and goodreads.com for anything else. Sometimes neither works and I have to resort to searching the web. If I do happen to find multiple sources they will often differ in order and inclusions. It would be nice when revisiting a series, find out where I got the original data from (even if it may not be accurate). At least I don't start second guessing myself and re-ordering the series when I get new information.

Thanks (in advance)
Terry
terry.nz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2018, 11:36 PM   #2
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
There is no way to attach data to a series, instead simply adopt a convention such as putting the info into the comments of the first book in the series.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-20-2018, 05:39 AM   #3
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
I presume its a really big ask, but I'd really, really like to have a Link field (a'la the one Authors has), on all columns that can be "Managed". Version 4 perhaps

BR
BetterRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2018, 06:23 PM   #4
terry.nz
terry.nz is no ebook tyro.terry.nz is no ebook tyro.terry.nz is no ebook tyro.terry.nz is no ebook tyro.terry.nz is no ebook tyro.terry.nz is no ebook tyro.terry.nz is no ebook tyro.terry.nz is no ebook tyro.terry.nz is no ebook tyro.terry.nz is no ebook tyro.

Device: Kobo Glo
I've taken your idea and modified it. I've created a TXT file as number 9999999 of a series. The TXT file contains the information I was wanting to add. It has the title "Series Information" and the author is the same. That way it stays out the way when ordering the series and can be easily excluded when looking at authors or by format.
terry.nz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2018, 10:30 AM   #5
travger
Evangelist
travger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.travger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.travger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.travger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.travger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.travger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.travger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.travger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.travger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.travger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.travger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: palm tx, Windows7, Galaxy A5
I like that. Also solves the problem where the books of series are written by different authors - this one book can have all the authors on the author field. I tend to search by author and order the list by series name, and now when I see the gap in numbering I can check the Series Info book.
travger is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-24-2018, 01:37 PM   #6
dwig
Wizard
dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Current:Surface Go & Kindle 3 - Retired: DellV8p, Clie UX50, ...
Quote:
Originally Posted by terry.nz View Post
I've taken your idea and modified it. I've created a TXT file as number 9999999 of a series. The TXT file contains the information I was wanting to add. It has the title "Series Information" and the author is the same. That way it stays out the way when ordering the series and can be easily excluded when looking at authors or by format.
@BR: I use something similar to terry.nz's approach of adding a custom "info" book to the series that contains whatever additional info that I want to track. I can't say about all of the metadata fields, but I've used the "Ids" field to hold a website link that it "clickable". To do this enter something like this in the "Ids" field: url:http://www.gutenberg.org/ebooks/51414
dwig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2018, 07:16 PM   #7
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

@dwig - I have tried using the IDs column as you suggest, but because it operates at the book level I found it too much of a contrivance for my purposes. At the individual book level I prefer to use long text (header on the side) columns to hold the link.

Basically I would like the ability to click on an entity value (Publisher, Series, Location, Illustrator, AdminTag etc) in book details and go to its website, or a page in one of my OneNote or Evernote notebooks, or simply open a file; like I do for the Authors values in Book Details -- assuming I have the appropriate URI in the Manage Authors Link column

But I suspect that would require an additional column (Link) to be added to all the relevant database tables, which is why I assume its a big ask. Kovid has avoided the need to change the database schema for a very long time (maybe never). I've been down the path of changing users' managed databases, there be dragons down there

But thanks for the suggestion. It may help someone else.

BR
Old 04-25-2018, 02:03 AM   #8
Katja_hbg
Groupie
Katja_hbg can grok the meaning of the universe.Katja_hbg can grok the meaning of the universe.Katja_hbg can grok the meaning of the universe.Katja_hbg can grok the meaning of the universe.Katja_hbg can grok the meaning of the universe.Katja_hbg can grok the meaning of the universe.Katja_hbg can grok the meaning of the universe.Katja_hbg can grok the meaning of the universe.Katja_hbg can grok the meaning of the universe.Katja_hbg can grok the meaning of the universe.Katja_hbg can grok the meaning of the universe.

Device: Kobo Glo HD (landscape), Kobo Aura One
Quote:
Originally Posted by BetterRed View Post
Basically I would like the ability to click on an entity value (Publisher, Series, Location, Illustrator, AdminTag etc) in book details and go to its website, or a page in one of my OneNote or Evernote notebooks, or simply open a file; like I do for the Authors values in Book Details -- assuming I have the appropriate URI in the Manage Authors Link column
BR
I added some links in the book details to open other websites directly following this steps. Maybe this is something you are interested?

German: https://papierlos-lesen.de/autor-und...-nachschlagen/
Google translated: http://translate.google.com/translat...achschlagen%2F
Katja_hbg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2018, 05:04 AM   #9
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katja_hbg View Post
I added some links in the book details to open other websites directly following this steps. Maybe this is something you are interested?

German: https://papierlos-lesen.de/autor-und...-nachschlagen/
Google translated: http://translate.google.com/translat...achschlagen%2F
@Katya_hgb - thanks, but I'd never use it, consistently at least. I did try something similar some time back - might have got the idea from chaley.

However, given I sometimes forget to plug in (simple copy and paste) the URI for my Evernote pages into the Author Link field, I know if I had to wrangle something similar into html within a calibre template it would never get done . I've gotten by without the additional Link fields for the last six years, I think I'll survive without them.

If the Authors table didn't have the Link field I probably wouldn't be wanting it for other entities. I use the Author Link field to link into entries of an Authors database (in my case it's an Evernote Notebook), as a result I often wish the Publisher, Series and my custom columns etc had a Link field so I could do something similar for those columns.

Books have the equivalent via the Link widget in long text columns, I use that (in a Notes column) when I need to link to something book specific, e.g. a long review, or a writers conference paper/video etc.

BR

Last edited by BetterRed; 04-25-2018 at 05:10 AM.