Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Lounge

Notices

View Poll Results: Daylight Saving Time! (Or whatever you call it)
Love it! 7 18.92%
Hate it! 22 59.46%
Don't care. 8 21.62%
Voters: 37. You may not vote on this poll

Old 03-09-2018, 07:42 AM   #1
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: H2O, Glo HD, Aura One
It's Daylight Saving Time!

This coming Sunday is my single favorite day of the year. Forget Christmas, birthday, Halloween, the Fourth of July - they've got nothing on the first day of Daylight Saving Time. Light in the evening; it's so worth losing that hour of sleep! I'd stay on it all year if it were up to me and in fact there are discussions in the state legislatures here in New England about going on Atlantic Standard Time all year long which would do exactly that.

But I digress. Happy Daylight Saving Time on Sunday to Canadians and Americans!

That said, I know my favorite day of the year isn't universally popular, so I'm putting up a poll. I'm curious to see how others feel. And of course those in other places with different names and start/end dates for time shifts should parse it for themselves and participate, also.
issybird is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-09-2018, 08:00 AM   #2
poohbear_nc
It's a bird, it's a ....
poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Every Kindle Ever Made & To Be Made + Kobo Aura + Nexus7.2!
Death to DST! Every year it completely deranges my internal clock .... for months .. and makes me feel like I have a hangover in the mornings.

Yes, I already take melatonin.

Yes, I gradually alter my bedtime to 'accommodate' this travesty.

YOU try explaining to hungry cats why their meal time has changed!

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
poohbear_nc is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2018, 08:34 AM   #3
latepaul
Wizard
latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: a variety (mostly kindles and kobos)
It's a PITA to deal with for computers. Most of the pain is hidden from the end-user these days but trust me there's a lot of effort going to making sure it "just works".

The problem with time and timezones
latepaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2018, 08:36 AM   #4
Hemmi
Wizard
Hemmi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hemmi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hemmi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hemmi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hemmi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hemmi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hemmi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hemmi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hemmi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hemmi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hemmi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sonys, Nooks, Kobo Mini, Kindle Paperwhite, Samsung Galaxy Tab A
I agree with the chicken. Quit messing with my internal clock. And the kitties do not understand it at all.
Hemmi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2018, 08:42 AM   #5
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Yotaphone 2
Just get up an hour earlier. Don't mess with the clocks.
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-09-2018, 08:45 AM   #6
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kin7; FHD6; SGT4; ClipZip; LG Trib; Echo Dot
Ditch it. Quit this nonsense of changing time twice a year.
tubemonkey is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2018, 09:03 AM   #7
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: H2O, Glo HD, Aura One
Hmm. I'm not sensing a groundswell of support for my opinion!
issybird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2018, 09:06 AM   #8
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by issybird View Post
Hmm. I'm not sensing a groundswell of support for my opinion!
I don't care which time they pick, but it should be the same year-round.
Old 03-09-2018, 11:13 AM   #9
ekbell
Addict
ekbell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ekbell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ekbell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ekbell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ekbell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ekbell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ekbell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ekbell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ekbell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ekbell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ekbell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
I find myself agreeing with Saskatchewan, Canada. Let's stop all this mucking around with clocks! Why are we 'saving' daylight when there soon will be more then we'll need.

In this part of the world sunset is already at 6:30 pm, shifting my family's hours of operation just means that my children will have even more trouble going to sleep at a reasonable hour in June and July when sunset will be nearing 10pm (daylight savings time) with twilight far beyond 10pm (Astronomical twilight for the entire night).

And the fact that daylight saving time is extended to Nov. is even more aggravating as I dislike having sunrise later then 8:30 AM more often than necessary.
ekbell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2018, 02:06 PM   #10
4691mls
Wizard
4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T3, T1
I love Daylight Savings. I don't care if it's dark when I get up in the morning. I like having daylight when I finish work for the day. I usually adjust to the spring time change easily, but the fall time change leaves me feeling jet-lagged for the rest of the week.

I am a lot farther south than the Canadians who have posted here. I checked an online sunset chart for my location and even in midsummer, the official sunset time is around 8:50 pm. Of course twilight goes on for a while after that but it's still nowhere near as late as for those of you in the far north.
4691mls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2018, 02:13 PM   #11
sjfan
Addict
sjfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sjfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sjfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sjfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sjfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sjfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sjfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sjfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sjfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sjfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sjfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura H20
Quote:
Originally Posted by poohbear_nc View Post
Death to DST! Every year it completely deranges my internal clock .... for months .. and makes me feel like I have a hangover in the mornings.
I, on the other hand, say huzzah to DST and death to Daylight Wasting Time. Stay on DST year round, keep the light in the evening, and stop switching the clocks all the time.

This, incidentally, is the plan that many New England states as well as Florida have been considering, though the New England states made it contigent on New York joining them since there's so much Boston/New York work contact.

Florida house passes Sunshine Protection Act.
sjfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2018, 02:28 PM   #12
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe

Since there are 4 time zones in the continental US, each state should be divided into 4 time zones. That should make for a very interesting commute between Boston and New York
Old 03-09-2018, 03:16 PM   #13
Dazrin
Hey! Who took my cookie?!
Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, PW2, various Android devices
Daylight Savings Time itself isn't too bad. It's the change that stinks. On the other hand, the change back to Standard Time is GREAT! What's not to love about an extra hour of sleep?

I do wish they would just pick a time and stick with it (without having to move to Arizona or Hawaii); either standard time or DST would be ok (with a slight preference for DST since I am NOT a morning person anyway). The changes are awful for our bodies, especially those of us with young children who have to adjust quickly for school.
Dazrin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2018, 03:18 PM   #14
wodin
Illiterate
wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Galaxy Note 8, Microsoft Surface Pro 3
Being in one of the few enlightened places of the country that eschew the unnatural concept that if you change the clock you can somehow get more daylight, but still have to do business with the rest of the nation it becomes "Le'see, is it five hours or six hours later on the east coast?"

It's maddening! I'm dreading what it'll do to my calendar.
wodin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2018, 03:45 PM   #15
wodin
Illiterate
wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Galaxy Note 8, Microsoft Surface Pro 3
One Hundred Years Later, the Madness of Daylight Saving Time Endures
wodin is online now   Reply With Quote