Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 02-02-2018, 02:53 PM   #1
Dereks
Connoisseur
Dereks began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 1
Post Questions about Exporting Instapaper Digest Highlights

Apologies in advance if this comes off as another weird specific highlight request in relation to export highlights mechanics.

I often read articles from Instapaper on Kindle. Luckily, with automated digests the delivery works like a charm, though I also have an Instapaper recipe in Calibre and occassionally use it too.

The issue is that I am also a compulsive note taker and ofter mark those on instapaper articles too. When this is for books I read on my kindle, I usually rely on clippings.io. However, Clippings seem to rely solely on 'My Clippings’ file and it only contains reference to a page location in a book, nothing more. So when I export highlights and notes from the Instapaper digest file to clippings.io, I cannot immediately decipher which article each note relates to.

So I wonder if there is a way to export notes in such a way that it would also have at least a name of the article to which the note relates? Ideal would be if it also had a link to the original article.

I know that the “My Clippings” file does not contain this information, but at least when you are viewing the notes on Kindle for a particular Instapaper digest, they are clearly grouped by articles. So at least Kindle itself is able to sort this...
Dereks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2018, 03:15 AM   #2
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
If you're asking if there's a way to customise the information that gets written to the clippings file, no, there isn't.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-03-2018, 03:18 AM   #3
Dereks
Connoisseur
Dereks began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 1
Well, partially - yes. Maybe there is some other way to capture notes?
Dereks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2018, 04:24 AM   #4
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Well, the notes are stored in one of the files in the sidecar folder associated with the book - I think the one with the ".mbp" extension. You could try dissecting that file and see if you can pull out any more information from it. Good luck, and keep us informed as to your progress!
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
clippings, export, highlights and notes, instapaper