Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 09-18-2008, 08:20 PM   #1
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh
Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Shake a stick plus 1
New Irex Reader 1000

Forbes has an early story on what Irex might announce next week. It might not be true, but I think it is. According to Andy Greenberg:

Quote:
On Monday, Netherlands-based iRex Technologies is slated to unveil the iRex Reader 1000, the first in a wave of e-reader devices that promise bigger screens and improved interfaces and functionality.

The iRex Reader 1000 offers a 10.2-inch diagonal E-Inkscreen, far larger than Kindle's 6-inch screen or even iRex's own 8.1-inch diagonal iLiad, its last e-book model. That stretched display is designed to work with any file format, be it an e-book, a full-sized PDF, a Word document or HTML. Like earlier iRex devices, it sports a stylus and touch screen for taking notes and marking documents.
He even has a price estimate:
Quote:
Business-targeted readers also come with business-sized price tags. Though Plastic Logic won't yet reveal the price for its device, iRex says its basic reader will start at $650. (By contrast, Kindle sells for $360.) Adding a writable screen to the iRex reader will cost another $100, and equipping it with wi-fi, Bluetooth and a 3G cell connection for downloading documents will raise the price to $850.
This last bit is worth a giggle:
Quote:
Even with its outsized price, the new iRex reader won't offer two features also missing from other electronic books: color and video capability. In fact, the 16 graytone screen takes about eight-tenths of a second to refresh when loading a new page.
A round of applause for skyblue, who found the article for us.
Nate the great is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2008, 08:35 PM   #2
zelda_pinwheel
zeldinha zippy zeldissima
zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: eb1150 & is that a nook in her pocket, or she just happy to see you?
well well, things are getting interesting in the business world...
zelda_pinwheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-18-2008, 09:11 PM   #3
parryl
Enthusiast
parryl began at the beginning.

Device: iliad / nokia 6600 slide
omg !! my irex is only 5 days old !!
parryl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2008, 09:13 PM   #4
BKeeper
Groupie
BKeeper will become famous soon enoughBKeeper will become famous soon enoughBKeeper will become famous soon enoughBKeeper will become famous soon enoughBKeeper will become famous soon enoughBKeeper will become famous soon enoughBKeeper will become famous soon enough

Device: Kindle PW
Great, if that's correct it has exactly what I expected.

Now I'm gonna have to buy another iLiad.
BKeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2008, 09:14 PM   #5
BKeeper
Groupie
BKeeper will become famous soon enoughBKeeper will become famous soon enoughBKeeper will become famous soon enoughBKeeper will become famous soon enoughBKeeper will become famous soon enoughBKeeper will become famous soon enoughBKeeper will become famous soon enough

Device: Kindle PW
Quote:
Originally Posted by parryl View Post
omg !! my irex is only 5 days old !!
Quick, you can still return it to the store.
BKeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-18-2008, 09:20 PM   #6
Dedale
Guest Star
Dedale knows what is on the back of the AURYN.Dedale knows what is on the back of the AURYN.Dedale knows what is on the back of the AURYN.Dedale knows what is on the back of the AURYN.Dedale knows what is on the back of the AURYN.Dedale knows what is on the back of the AURYN.Dedale knows what is on the back of the AURYN.Dedale knows what is on the back of the AURYN.Dedale knows what is on the back of the AURYN.Dedale knows what is on the back of the AURYN.Dedale knows what is on the back of the AURYN.

Device: Sony PRS-700, Nook STR
Arghh... It's a bit expensive for me but still, it's very attractive !
Wait and See
Dedale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2008, 09:43 PM   #7
Studio717
Addict
Studio717 will become famous soon enoughStudio717 will become famous soon enoughStudio717 will become famous soon enoughStudio717 will become famous soon enoughStudio717 will become famous soon enoughStudio717 will become famous soon enough

Device: Various Kindles, iPhone, iPad, Galaxy 10.1
Oh, finally!

My waiting wasn't wasted after all. Now the big question: when are they going to be available?

(And please do NOT say next spring! )
Studio717 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2008, 10:07 PM   #8
Adam B.
Addicted to Porting
Adam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the rough

Device: iRex iLiad, Nokia 770, Samsung i760
Quick facts from the article:
  • Name: iRex Reader 1000
  • 10.2 Inch Screen
  • eBook (Mobipocket?), PDF, Word, and html support (probably others)
  • Stylus input (wacom?)
  • 60-70 hour battery life
  • 3 Versions
  • Base - $650
  • Touch Screen - $750
  • Touchscreen + Bluetooth, Wifi, and 3G, $850
  • 16 levels of greyscale
Adam B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2008, 10:44 PM   #9
nathany
Enthusiast
nathany doesn't litternathany doesn't litter

Device: Kobo h2o
Very interesting. There are 50 computer programming books sitting on my Mac in PDF format. I think they would like to be on an iRex Reader 1000. ^_^
nathany is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2008, 11:20 PM   #10
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by nathany View Post
Very interesting. There are 50 computer programming books sitting on my Mac in PDF format. I think they would like to be on an iRex Reader 1000. ^_^
For me, not if the PLR is $400.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2008, 11:32 PM   #11
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3
Very interesting, indeed. I shall watch this one with great interest.
NatCh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2008, 11:49 PM   #12
parryl
Enthusiast
parryl began at the beginning.

Device: iliad / nokia 6600 slide
omg !! my irex is 5 days old !!!!!
parryl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2008, 01:40 AM   #13
acidzebra
Liseuse Lover
acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505
Quote:
The E-ink technology also uses just a fraction of the energy typically needed for comparably sized screens, extending the device's battery life to between 60 and 80 hours.
For me personally, while I am interested in a bigger screen, they are really going to have to do better than that. And be more specific. 80 hours in standby mode? Or what?

Quote:
E-Ink enthusiasts will likely have to wait until 2009 for color E-ink and as late as 2012 for video, says Russ Wilcox, the chief executive of Cambridge, Mass.-based E-Ink
That's okay, Russ, even if it turns out to be 2011 and 2014 respectively - that is about the time I plan on replacing my Sony if it doesn't break before that. I'm not so much interested in video but color would be nice.
acidzebra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2008, 02:03 AM   #14
ashkulz
Addict
ashkulz will become famous soon enoughashkulz will become famous soon enoughashkulz will become famous soon enoughashkulz will become famous soon enoughashkulz will become famous soon enoughashkulz will become famous soon enoughashkulz will become famous soon enough

Device: Kindle 1/REB 1200
If IRex is releasing the eink screen in this format, then that means these screens are rolling into production [I think that they had problems with getting the display controllers right -- it's still a very young technology]. Hanlin can't be far behind with their V9 screens, which will be great news as there will be competition in the bigger than 6" screen space, which had only IRex as a player till now.
ashkulz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2008, 02:47 AM   #15
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
If the 10.2" size is correct, this is again iRex's own screen - not the 9.7" FlexiScreen from PVI. I wonder what, if anything, they are doing to make the screen less fragile.

Making the touch screen optional lowers the entry price, but complicates porting 3rd party software. Even the existing MobiPocket Reader requires touching icons. Perhaps they added a long row of keys to facilitate the non-touch interface. The Plastic Logic device will be entirely (finger) touch driven.
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote