Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Feedback

Notices

Old 09-15-2008, 05:03 PM   #1
Alexander Turcic
Fully Converged
Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Too many to count here.
Custom e-book covers - would you like them?

We're always being told that you can't - or shouldn't - judge a book by its cover; nevertheless, sometimes cover art may say a great deal about the content of a book (such as, for instance, it's theme, sub-genre, or mood). Many of the e-books you can download freely from the Net don't come with a cover. Which begs the question: Would you be interested in producing your own covers for your favorite books?

MobileReader Paul "pdurrant" takes the idea one step further, contemplating over a new forum section dedicated to the producing and uploading of custom e-book covers.

What do you think? Could we together manage such an effort?

PS: I thank Paul for his infinite patience in dealing with my forgetfulness.
Alexander Turcic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2008, 05:06 PM   #2
zelda_pinwheel
zeldinha zippy zeldissima
zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: eb1150 & is that a nook in her pocket, or she just happy to see you?
yes please.
zelda_pinwheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-15-2008, 05:30 PM   #3
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
You can get covers for (most?) new ebooks from amazon/wikipedia.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2008, 05:37 PM   #4
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
My main machine is a Macintosh. As there isn't a Mobipocket Reader program for Mac, I only ever saw the covers of eBooks briefly when first reading the book on my PDA.

When I got a CyBook, covers became a little bit more important, because thumnails of the covers were displayed in the library view.

Then I wrote a QuickLook* plug-in for Mobipocket eBooks, and eBook covers suddenly became very important. Instead of generic document icons, my eBook archive on my Mac now used the eBook covers for icons and in CoverFlow view.

Flipping through the eBooks with CoverFlow became enjoyable. The new views also helped identify me to identify books correctly, as the covers naturally show both title and author, while plain file names can't do both well.

With some image editing software and the MobiPerl tools, I could add new covers to my books that had poor covers, but then I wanted to find a way to solve two problems:

1) How to share the covers I made with others
2) How to get more artistically inclined people to share their pretty covers with me

A new forum at MobileRead seemed the obvious solution. I'll be very interested to see what others think.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexander Turcic View Post
We're always being told that you can't - or shouldn't - judge a book by its cover; nevertheless, sometimes cover art may say a great deal about the content of a book (such as, for instance, it's theme, sub-genre, or mood).
*QuickLook is a Mac OS X 10.5 (Leopard) method for displaying the contents of files, with new file formats being supported by small plug-ins added to the system.
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2008, 05:39 PM   #5
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

And for the commercial eBooks, this is often what I do. Although finding a high-res version that hasn't been horribly compressed can be hard.

I'm really thinking of a covers forum for the many out-of-copyright eBooks that are uploaded to the eBook forums here. Many have no cover or a very plain solid-colour-background-and-text cover.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-15-2008, 05:45 PM   #6
TadW
Uebermensch
TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
I don't think this applies to out-of-copyright ebooks, but at least for the new books that you can find on Amazon, there are ways to fetch cover images in better quality. Check here for more:

http://aaugh.com/imageabuse.html

and here:

http://www.majordojo.com/projects/am...mage-hacks.php
TadW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2008, 07:54 PM   #7
nekokami
fruminous edugeek
nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad, eBw 1150
I might be able to occasionally contribute some covers to such a forum.
nekokami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2008, 07:59 PM   #8
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
If I am looking for a decent cover for an eBook I am converting (commercial) that either has a poor cover, no cover, or a small cover, I go to Fictionwise or BooksOnBoard as most covers are 680 pixels lontg which looks fin when stretched to fit full screen on my 505.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2008, 08:24 PM   #9
Snowman
Zealot
Snowman can teach chickens to fly.Snowman can teach chickens to fly.Snowman can teach chickens to fly.Snowman can teach chickens to fly.Snowman can teach chickens to fly.Snowman can teach chickens to fly.Snowman can teach chickens to fly.Snowman can teach chickens to fly.Snowman can teach chickens to fly.Snowman can teach chickens to fly.Snowman can teach chickens to fly.

Device: iPhone 5, Kindle K3, Kindle Voyage
What I've been hunting round for is some nicely designed blanks onto which I could superimpose the title and author.

I've actually been using the fictionwise "classic" cover, which I rather like. Although with this image, there is not enough space to add a title and author without spoiling the look of the whole thing.
Snowman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2008, 11:21 PM   #10
RWood
Technogeezer
RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-500
Most of the ebooks that I have uploaded to the MR download section have covers. Some are, regretfully, just text of title and writer(s) on a color background. (The Sony PC software does shows color even when the Reader does not.) Most have a graphic related to either the book or the writer(s). Some were far better. All were branded with the then current MobileRead logo. I have higher quality JPEGs of these covers. Most are 2126 x 2830 pixels. If anyone wants them I will gladly post them.
RWood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2008, 12:16 AM   #11
curtw
Outside of a dog
curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I like these. All my PD faves. They look cool in "coverflow" fashion as well. Look! It's Bobby Sherman as Hamlet!

Last edited by curtw; 09-16-2008 at 12:19 AM.
curtw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2008, 05:40 AM   #12
Over
Wizard
Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW, Samsung Galaxy Note Pro 12.2", OnePlus 6
Covers are important. But they can be found in many internet sources. But for those titles you can't really find a cover, it's a good idea to make one.

But be careful about copyrights, when using pictures.
Over is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2008, 08:07 AM   #13
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
Quote:
Originally Posted by Over View Post
Covers are important. But they can be found in many internet sources. But for those titles you can't really find a cover, it's a good idea to make one.

But be careful about copyrights, when using pictures.

I agree entirely with your summary statement.

When I assemble books for the upload section, I take the time to locate covers that I feel are suitable.

The internet has so many choices. Many of my favorite places are bookmarked for the specific purpose of using an old out-of-copyright cover.

Don
Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2008, 08:09 AM   #14
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
Yes, we can get them, but are they appropriate and are they the best choice?

I think what I'm reading in this thread is about covers that can be produced; it would be a kind of catalogue that we could draw from.

Now, having said that, I wonder at the viability of such an endeavor. How would this work, for example?

How would this Forum be indexed for quick access?

Personally, what I would like to see is a VERY simple program to position text onto a cover of my choosing.....a very simple program. After that, I would use "Insert" from BookDesigner.

Don
Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2008, 11:54 AM   #15
gnawingonfoot
worthless joat
gnawingonfoot began at the beginning.

Device: eBookwise-1150, Handspring Visor Neo
I appreciate a good cover. I look over the covers of books to help me transition into more of a reading-oriented mood and to reflect on and recall what I read last time I picked up the book. It'd be nice to see some device-specific covers too, as I can seldom even make out the titles on the covers of books in my tiny 160x160 pixel 256-color z22 screen. I'd love to take a shot at pixeling some smaller stuff out.
gnawingonfoot is offline   Reply With Quote