Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 11-01-2017, 03:51 PM   #1
NelsP91
NelsP91 began at the beginning.

Device: none
Punctuation and symbol issues

Hi all,

Recently, I've been trying to add a book series to my tablet through Calibre, but every time I put them on, most of the punctuation is transformed into square symbols. This is obviously very annoying when trying to read a book. Any ideas on how to fix this? Thank you in advance!
NelsP91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2017, 04:02 PM   #2
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by NelsP91 View Post
Hi all,

Recently, I've been trying to add a book series to my tablet through Calibre, but every time I put them on, most of the punctuation is transformed into square symbols. This is obviously very annoying when trying to read a book. Any ideas on how to fix this? Thank you in advance!
That indicates:
a) the glyph is not on your tablet
b) the character encoding was not specified or wrong when converting (a conversion option). Calibre tries to guess when it was not specified. Sometimes you need to help it and set it manually

Note: once a file has been converted wrong, your only chance is try again (with a new setting) with the ORIGINAL
BTW does it look OK in the Calibre viewer?
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-01-2017, 04:11 PM   #3
NelsP91

Thanks for your quick response!

Yes, everything looks fine when I open the file in Calibre, not showing any symbol issues whatsoever. It's only when it gets transferred onto the tablet. I also have not encountered this issue with any other e-books that I have so far put onto my tablet. I've so far attempted to convert using several other character encoding like cp1252 and utf-8, but have had no luck. I've done this by converting the file and then transferring that converted file to the tablet. The square symbol is primarily replacing quotes, but also commas and hyphens.
Old 11-01-2017, 04:39 PM   #4
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Thanks for your quick response!

Yes, everything looks fine when I open the file in Calibre, not showing any symbol issues whatsoever. It's only when it gets transferred onto the tablet. I also have not encountered this issue with any other e-books that I have so far put onto my tablet. I've so far attempted to convert using several other character encoding like cp1252 and utf-8, but have had no luck. I've done this by converting the file and then transferring that converted file to the tablet. The square symbol is primarily replacing quotes, but also commas and hyphens.
Try other CP's
some word processors use custom glyph codes

BTW are you converting from what to what
Old 11-01-2017, 04:46 PM   #5
NelsP91

I'm converting from the original EPUB file to MOBI for the kindle app on my Samsung tablet
Advert
Old 11-01-2017, 05:53 PM   #6
theducks
Well trained by Cats

Quote:
I'm converting from the original EPUB file to MOBI for the kindle app on my Samsung tablet
Why not Moon Reader. It works great on my TAB A with EPUB
Is it because you need to use Amazons whisper sync?
Old 11-01-2017, 11:17 PM   #7
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
Convert to azw3 instead and embed the needed fonts via conversion options. Presumably whatever app you are using to read the MOBI on your device does not have the needed fonts for unicode punctuation symbols.
kovidgoyal is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
calibre, punctuation, symbols