Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 10-28-2017, 03:30 PM   #1
Stevex
Addict
Stevex is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.Stevex is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.Stevex is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.Stevex is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.Stevex is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.Stevex is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.Stevex is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.Stevex is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.Stevex is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.Stevex is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.Stevex is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
Tolino Epos / Aura One

Just saw this advertised in Hugendubel. Is it basically an Aura One (I think so) Does anyone have any insights?
Stevex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2017, 06:47 PM   #2
mathil
Evangelist
mathil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mathil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mathil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mathil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mathil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mathil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mathil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mathil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mathil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mathil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mathil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura H2O/Glo HD/Libra 2, Kindle PW3/PW5
It's not out yet but yes, it's similar to the Aura One -- or rather, it's a Tolino Vision 4HD with a bigger screen, so you should search for info about this reader if you're interested in the Epos.
Tolino sells their ereaders in my country as well (they won't sell the Epos though, probably too much competition from Kobo and Amazon). I played with some of them in a store and they're well made, but they are a bit limited on the software side compared to Kobo - they only support EPUB, PDF and TXT, fixed font choices a la Kindle, few dictionaries. I'm not sure about jailbreaking/hacking it, I think there is something out but only in German, so if you're interested and speak the language you might check this out yourself.
mathil is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-28-2017, 07:39 PM   #3
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Looking at the specs, it really does sound like an Aura ONE. The case is different, and it has a home button on the front. Kobo does have a relationship with Tolino (Rakuten bought Tolino? Or something like that) so product sharing makes sense. Or, they are sharing a manufacturer and the manufacturer is producing similar specced devices.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2017, 12:04 PM   #4
anacreon
Guru
anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Elipsa, Sage
7 sizes for fonts is insufficient, but a nice plus is the switch between portrait and landscape modes for ebooks. It is bigger (140 x 209 x 8.2 mm) than the One (138.5 x 195 x 6.9 mm) and heavier (260 vs 230 g).
anacreon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2017, 01:37 PM   #5
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Content deleted.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-30-2017, 06:55 PM   #6
Stevex
Addict
Stevex is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.Stevex is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.Stevex is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.Stevex is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.Stevex is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.Stevex is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.Stevex is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.Stevex is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.Stevex is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.Stevex is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.Stevex is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.

Thanks for the feedback. Ive been wondering whether to give it a try. They'll probably have a display model in Hugendubel in a day or two. But it doesnt sound soooo positive from the above.

Last edited by Stevex; 10-30-2017 at 06:57 PM.
Old 11-01-2017, 11:50 AM   #7
Stevex
Addict

Well I did go and try the Epos out inHugendubel today
It is very similar to the Aura One. Now I understand where the 'new' home screen comes from, it is bringing Kobo in line with Tolino. The Books, Authors, Collections is also the same.
The brightness and colour temperature control is a combined 2 sliders thing and felt much more solid in operation. On page refresh, 'never' is the default setting.
Only thing I didn't like was it's a bit heavier and diesnt have the rubber back which I like.
In every other way, it feels more 'solid' and smooth - a step up from the Aura One.
Whether ithas the same flexibility under the hood like the Kobo, I would need to buy it to findout! I wonder if someone like davidfor could beg a test device fromkobo, to see how far kobo utilities kepubs etc are or could be supported.
Old 11-01-2017, 03:30 PM   #8
haidinhtuan
haidinhtuan 's shirt has a full set of merit badges.haidinhtuan 's shirt has a full set of merit badges.haidinhtuan 's shirt has a full set of merit badges.haidinhtuan 's shirt has a full set of merit badges.haidinhtuan 's shirt has a full set of merit badges.haidinhtuan 's shirt has a full set of merit badges.haidinhtuan 's shirt has a full set of merit badges.haidinhtuan 's shirt has a full set of merit badges.haidinhtuan 's shirt has a full set of merit badges.haidinhtuan 's shirt has a full set of merit badges.haidinhtuan 's shirt has a full set of merit badges.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Kobo Aura One
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stevex View Post
It is very similar to the Aura One. Now I understand where the 'new' home screen comes from, it is bringing Kobo in line with Tolino. The Books, Authors, Collections is also the same.
The brightness and colour temperature control is a combined 2 sliders thing and felt much more solid in operation. On page refresh, 'never' is the default setting.
Only thing I didn't like was it's a bit heavier and diesnt have the rubber back which I like.
In every other way, it feels more 'solid' and smooth - a step up from the Aura One.
Whether ithas the same flexibility under the hood like the Kobo, I would need to buy it to findout! I wonder if someone like davidfor could beg a test device fromkobo, to see how far kobo utilities kepubs etc are or could be supported.
How about the light evenness?
haidinhtuan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2017, 04:45 PM   #9
Stevex
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by haidinhtuan View Post
How about the light evenness?
Looked fine to me, completely even, but this was in highly-lit shop conditions. I did move the sliders around to their extremes and it looked very good.
Old 11-01-2017, 08:07 PM   #10
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
That all sounds interesting and I hope someone does publish a good comparison between the two.
Quote:
You mean you aren't going to buy one and send it to me

I actually had someone ask me if calibre supported the Tolino devices recently, so I had a look. It does, but it is pretty basic. It really just the basic USB MSD device with code to identify it. And I had a look around, and couldn't find much info on what was visible when the device was connected. Or at least, I couldn't see much I could read. Most of the links I found were to German pages.

As I replied to the person asking, if I had the device, I'd probably do something. I probably wouldn't be able to resist But, without one, it would be to hard. And that lack of self-control is one of the reasons I've been glad I've never stumbled on a cheap Sony ereader. Or a Kindle, though I might be able to resist that.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2017, 05:03 PM   #11
haidinhtuan
haidinhtuan 's shirt has a full set of merit badges.haidinhtuan 's shirt has a full set of merit badges.haidinhtuan 's shirt has a full set of merit badges.haidinhtuan 's shirt has a full set of merit badges.haidinhtuan 's shirt has a full set of merit badges.haidinhtuan 's shirt has a full set of merit badges.haidinhtuan 's shirt has a full set of merit badges.haidinhtuan 's shirt has a full set of merit badges.haidinhtuan 's shirt has a full set of merit badges.haidinhtuan 's shirt has a full set of merit badges.haidinhtuan 's shirt has a full set of merit badges.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Kobo Aura One
Quote:
Looked fine to me, completely even, but this was in highly-lit shop conditions. I did move the sliders around to their extremes and it looked very good.
That sounds promosing! An even screen is the only thing I miss from my Aura One

Thank you for the info !
haidinhtuan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2017, 04:32 AM   #12
Dryhte
Crow
Dryhte is clearly one to watchDryhte is clearly one to watchDryhte is clearly one to watchDryhte is clearly one to watchDryhte is clearly one to watchDryhte is clearly one to watchDryhte is clearly one to watchDryhte is clearly one to watchDryhte is clearly one to watchDryhte is clearly one to watchDryhte is clearly one to watch

Device: (Vivlio) Pocketbook Touch HD3
https://goodereader.com/blog/electro...-reader-review

For your information... They mention the software is very buggy at the moment...

Last edited by Dryhte; 11-10-2017 at 04:36 AM.
Dryhte is offline   Reply With Quote