Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 10-07-2017, 06:30 PM   #1
coplate
Addict
coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: prs-505, Kindle Keyboard 3g, PW3
Amazon has a press event Tuesday, what are you hopes?

I'm hoping for a new paperwhite price with voyage style buttons.

Or waterproofing, but that will make people less willing too open them up for hardware investigation.

I'm also hoping for an eink android reader with great battery life. Heavy battery optimization and speed limiting to support it.
coplate is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-07-2017, 06:47 PM   #2
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
An eInk device with a flush screen and 32GB storage would be nice. I'm hoping for a "Voyage 2". I don't personally give a damn about waterproofing.
HarryT is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2017, 07:03 PM   #3
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3G, Voyage WiFi;FireHD; Kobo: Aura One, Glo HD
How does the current line of ebooks fare for height?

We plan to visit Machu Picchu this summer, with a height of 7,972 feet.

While I have no plans to use one while taking a shower or a bath, I do plan to make a salad while taking a shower. If Kramer can do it, so can I.

Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2017, 07:05 PM   #4
Barty
doofus
Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Voyage, PW2, Galaxy Tab S
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
An eInk device with a flush screen and 32GB storage would be nice. I'm hoping for a "Voyage 2". I don't personally give a damn about waterproofing.
Isn't that what the voyage 1 is, except for the memory. But on board storage is so 2010. It's all about the cloud now
Barty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2017, 07:07 PM   #5
barryem
Wizard
barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite 2
I hope they announce any sort of new Kindle. I don't really care what. I just want a signal that they're still interested.

However, if it's a teeny weeny Kindle, something on the order of the Kobo Mini with a front light, weighing less than an ounce and with 2 year battery life and containing a pop-out recliner I'll get one and figure out how to pay my rent later.

Barry
barryem is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-07-2017, 07:11 PM   #6
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Drib View Post
How does the current line of ebooks fare for height?

We plan to visit Machu Picchu this summer, with a height of 7,972 feet.
No problem. I've stayed at (and used my Kindle at) Bryce Canyon national park in the American SW, which is about 9000' above sea level. Kindle worked fine, which is more than I can say for me at that altitude . Out of breath after even modest exertion.
Old 10-07-2017, 07:23 PM   #7
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3G, Voyage WiFi;FireHD; Kobo: Aura One, Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
No problem. I've stayed at (and used my Kindle at) Bryce Canyon national park in the American SW, which is about 9000' above sea level. Kindle worked fine, which is more than I can say for me at that altitude . Out of breath after even modest exertion.

Thanks.

I plan to get some coca tea, which is supposed to help alleviate some of the discomfort.
Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2017, 07:23 PM   #8
poohbear_nc
2017 Is Here! Run Away!
poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Every Kindle Ever Made & To Be Made + Kobo Aura + Nexus7.2!
Will there ever be an e-Ink reader with a SD card slot?

I own, and read, many of the Delphi "Complete Works" volumes, which can fill up an Oasis or Voyage very quickly.
poohbear_nc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2017, 08:52 PM   #9
patrickt
Guru
patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, Kindle Basic
I want a Paperwhite 4 with six LED lights and a USB C port for fast charging. I have no use for an SD card, buttons, or 32GB of RAM. If Kindle comes out with another Paperwhite I hope it fits into the old covers or if it doesn't they make another book style cover and not the California Fancy like the Voyage has.
patrickt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2017, 10:13 PM   #10
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura H2O, Sony PRS-650, Sony PRS-T1, nook STR, iPad 4, iPhone 5
You don't need a USB-C port for fast charging.

How about wireless charging?
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2017, 10:54 PM   #11
coplate
Addict
coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: prs-505, Kindle Keyboard 3g, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by poohbear_nc View Post

I own, and read, many of the Delphi "Complete Works" volumes, which can fill up an Oasis or Voyage very quickly.
One of the problems with SD cards right now is how slow the processor is.

The indexer takes a long time, so removing the SD card and reinserting it would very "expensive" for battery life.

If they can make that indexer faster it would be good

Last edited by coplate; 10-07-2017 at 11:35 PM.
coplate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2017, 11:24 PM   #12
Barbara1955
Non-Techy
Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Amazon, Kobo & Insignia Tablets & eReaders
I like to at least see the Japan PWs being sold in USA! 3 gig of space is for the birds!
Barbara1955 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2017, 02:26 AM   #13
John Hopper
Connoisseur
John Hopper solves Fermatís last theorem while doing the crossword.John Hopper solves Fermatís last theorem while doing the crossword.John Hopper solves Fermatís last theorem while doing the crossword.John Hopper solves Fermatís last theorem while doing the crossword.John Hopper solves Fermatís last theorem while doing the crossword.John Hopper solves Fermatís last theorem while doing the crossword.John Hopper solves Fermatís last theorem while doing the crossword.John Hopper solves Fermatís last theorem while doing the crossword.John Hopper solves Fermatís last theorem while doing the crossword.John Hopper solves Fermatís last theorem while doing the crossword.John Hopper solves Fermatís last theorem while doing the crossword.

Device: Kindle Voyage
I listen to Len Edgerley's Kindle Chronicles podcast and he mentioned an announcement next week that would interest his listeners, which surely points to some kind of e-ink Kindle announcement. A Voyage 2 with bigger storage and a slightly bigger screen would do it for me.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk
John Hopper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2017, 02:29 AM   #14
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by patrickt View Post
I want a Paperwhite 4 with six LED lights and a USB C port for fast charging. I have no use for an SD card, buttons, or 32GB of RAM.
Nobody's suggested 32GB of RAM; that would indeed be completely pointless. What I'd like to see is 32GB (or more) of storage space.
Old 10-08-2017, 02:39 AM   #15
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by poohbear_nc View Post

I agree, but the huge problem with that would be the necessity to scan and re-index all the books on the card whenever you took it out and put it back in. That would be a killer for a large library. The benefit of internal storage is that the device can easily check what's been changed.