Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 08-02-2017, 08:17 AM   #1
potatis
potatis began at the beginning.

Device: Onyx Boox Max Carta
Standardized response time test for PDF ebook readers

Hi
Im in the buisness of buying a big e-ink device but i have a hard time comparing the screen update speeds. I.e. the time it takes to flip pages using different devices. There are video reviews of some devices, but i havent been helped much by these. The videos sometimes have an angle that makes it hard to see when the page flip buttons are pressed, thus making it hard to decide response time. Furthermore, the videos are sometimes cut in a way that makes the loading speeds seem faster.

By making a standardized test we could have a more informed discussion on which device is faster. I am looking for a test with high ecological validity, but focused on page flipping speed.

How could a test be designed to test the speed of e-ink devices in a more standardized way?

My idea would be to:
1: Film diagonally showing the next page button as well as the screen.
2: Have focus on both screen and the button so any artifacts can be identified.
3: During button presses, move the finger in from the side. Making it apparent when the finger presses the button.
4: For devices with multiple display settings (some onyx models have a "fast" setting with lower image quality), show which setting is online.
5: No cuts in the video.

Perform tests A and B.
a) Using each of three openly accessible text files. (5mb PDF, 100mb PDF, 2mb epub). Open the file. Go to page 50. Flip 10 pages as fast as possible. Measure the time from the first page flip to the last.
b) Using each of three openly accessible text files. (5mb PDF, 100mb PDF, 2mb epub).

This test gives information on:
Speed of opening different formats and file sizes.
Speed of "go to page"
Speed of 10 consecutive page flips.
A metric of page flipping speed.

This test controls for:
Using a fast or slow file for reviewing purposes.
Cutting the video to give a more favorable impression to the less meticulous viewer.
potatis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2017, 09:15 AM   #2
jhowell
Grand Sorcerer
jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles
I doubt that you will get much traction on this effort. Personally I don't find page flipping speed an important issue with any of the devices/software I currently own. They are all fast enough for me.

You appear to be trying to prevent trickery, but there are still many ways to game the test that your proposal doesn't prevent. For example, capturing the test at a lower than normal frame rate so that everything appears quicker when played back or by pre-rendering the test page images.

Flipping to the next page as fast a possible might tell you something, but it isn't a fair test of actual page flipping in normal usage. Many devices prepare the next page for viewing while the current page is being read and your test would effectively disable that feature.
jhowell is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-02-2017, 11:35 AM   #3
Cinisajoy
Just a Yellow Smiley.
Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K4, K5, fire, kobo, galaxy
The best way I know to do this is buy all the devices and test them. Then you will know exactly how long it takes you and the device to flip a page. Now if you want someone else to do the work for you, I don't think you will get many takers.
I think most if not all refresh fast enough to not distract you from reading. Less time than it takes to turn a page in a physical book.
Cinisajoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2017, 01:27 PM   #4
shalym
Wizard
shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW 1, 2, 3, Voyage, Oasis 2 & 3, Fires, Aura HD, iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cinisajoy View Post
The best way I know to do this is buy all the devices and test them. Then you will know exactly how long it takes you and the device to flip a page. Now if you want someone else to do the work for you, I don't think you will get many takers.
I think most if not all refresh fast enough to not distract you from reading. Less time than it takes to turn a page in a physical book.
True ebook formats like epub and mobi may refresh quickly, but this isn't necessarily true for a 100 mb pdf file, which is one of the things the OP is looking to test.

Shari
shalym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2017, 03:34 PM   #5
Cinisajoy
Just a Yellow Smiley.
Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shalym View Post
True ebook formats like epub and mobi may refresh quickly, but this isn't necessarily true for a 100 mb pdf file, which is one of the things the OP is looking to test.

Shari
Ok so then my advice is spot on. Only the OP can determine what is best for his needs.
Advert
Old 08-03-2017, 03:40 PM   #6
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
If you want something for PDF that's eInk, the Sony 13.3" PDF Reader DPT-RP1 is what you want. Otherwise, an iPad or iPad Pro will be what you want.

Last edited by JSWolf; 08-03-2017 at 11:28 PM.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2017, 03:48 PM   #7
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
If you want something for PDF that's not eInk, the Sony 13.3" PDF Reader DPT-RP1 is what you want.
What do you mean "not eInk", Jon? The RP1 assuredly does have an eInk screen!
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2017, 04:01 PM   #8
Cinisajoy
Just a Yellow Smiley.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
What do you mean "not eInk", Jon? The RP1 assuredly does have an eInk screen!
I think he put one too many words in that sentence lol.

Tags
response-time, screen speed, speed, standardized test