Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 07-31-2017, 04:15 PM   #1
drjd
The Couch Potato
drjd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drjd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drjd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drjd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drjd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drjd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drjd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drjd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drjd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drjd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drjd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo, Kobo Touch, Archos 9, Onyx Boox C67ML Carta
Kobo Glo Stuck in 'Restoring' loop.

I am using patched FW version 3.19.5761 on my Glo. About an hour back, I was reading on it and needed to switch the 'night mode' on. As it did't work, I tried to use power on/off switch, and instead of normal behaviour, the Glo started showing a 'Restoring' screen. After few minutes, it displayed 'Connect to PC' screen. Connecting to PC via USB results again in 'Restoring' screen, and the LED on top blinks in white color continuously. Then the device goes again in the same loop. Reseting the device through the bottom pinhole also results in same procedure. The device appears to be stuck in an infinite loop.

What should I do now? Please help!!

I'm also requesting a system card image for Glo separately, in case of a possible disastrous.
drjd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2017, 04:27 PM   #2
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
If you can see the Glo when you plug in via USB, have you tried to manually perform a firmware update? Have you tried a factory reset?
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-31-2017, 04:30 PM   #3
oren64
I need a chapter break
oren64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oren64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oren64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oren64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oren64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oren64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oren64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oren64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oren64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oren64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oren64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo
Charge the device for an hour with a wall charger, and then try to boot it.
oren64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2017, 04:53 PM   #4
drjd
The Couch Potato
drjd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drjd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drjd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drjd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drjd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drjd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drjd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drjd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drjd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drjd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drjd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
If you can see the Glo when you plug in via USB, have you tried to manually perform a firmware update? Have you tried a factory reset?
Um.. no. The PC doesn't recognize anything connected through USB. So I can not perform a firmware update manually, I guess. It's a recent mess-up, Jon, and I didn't dare to factory reset before consulting the experts here. I was also worried about losing my notes and stats. I'm still confused.
Old 07-31-2017, 04:59 PM   #5
drjd
The Couch Potato

Quote:
Originally Posted by oren64 View Post
Charge the device for an hour with a wall charger, and then try to boot it.
I'm sure my battery was about 80% at that moment, but I shall connect to a wall charger right now.
Advert
Old 07-31-2017, 05:26 PM   #6
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by drjd View Post
Um.. no. The PC doesn't recognize anything connected through USB. So I can not perform a firmware update manually, I guess. It's a recent mess-up, Jon, and I didn't dare to factory reset before consulting the experts here. I was also worried about losing my notes and stats. I'm still confused.
if you use Kobo Utilities to backup your Kobo database, then you'll have the database from the last time you connected to Calibre. So you might not lose all that much.
Old 07-31-2017, 11:23 PM   #7
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
@drjd: I've sent you a PM with the link to the image. I suspect that's the only way out at the moment.

The concern for the battery level is because the factory reset cycle you describe will use a bit of power. I'd expect at least 5%, but wouldn't be surprised if it was over 10%. That's only a concern because if you leave it, it will eventually run out. Then you will need to plug it in, and the device will usually start and be back in this cycle.

There is a chance that doing a manual factory reset while starting the device from off will work (power off, hold the light button down and turn on, release the light button when the screen changes). I doubt it, but there might be something different in how this is started that works.

If the image restore doesn't help, you should try another card. One of the reasons for a continuous reboot like this is the card failing and not being able to write something properly. And if you have a spare, I'd try it first. Size doesn't matter much as you can expand the space taken by the books.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2017, 04:19 AM   #8
drjd
The Couch Potato

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfor View Post
@drjd: I've sent you a PM with the link to the image. I suspect that's the only way out at the moment.

The concern for the battery level is because the factory reset cycle you describe will use a bit of power. I'd expect at least 5%, but wouldn't be surprised if it was over 10%. That's only a concern because if you leave it, it will eventually run out. Then you will need to plug it in, and the device will usually start and be back in this cycle.

There is a chance that doing a manual factory reset while starting the device from off will work (power off, hold the light button down and turn on, release the light button when the screen changes). I doubt it, but there might be something different in how this is started that works.

If the image restore doesn't help, you should try another card. One of the reasons for a continuous reboot like this is the card failing and not being able to write something properly. And if you have a spare, I'd try it first. Size doesn't matter much as you can expand the space taken by the books.
A manual factory reset (holding the light button and turning on) did work. Kobo came to life and wanted a device setup. I did a wireless setup and it has booted up. However, it has upgraded to FW version 4.5.9587. Now I'll have to do the patch work again. In fact I was satisfied with 3.19.5761, and did not want to upgrade.

Thanks everyone, anyways, for your help bringing my device back in action.
Old 08-02-2017, 10:42 AM   #9
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Glad to read that your Glo is once again working.
Old 08-01-2020, 05:08 AM   #10
RobyRain
RobyRain began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Glo
Hi have similar problem .....

Hi to everybody.
I have a Pink Kobo Glo and Have same problem.
I have used all options that you had descript, but my Glo stay on restoring status. It switch on and switch off on continuous and without stopping. I'm disappointed
RobyRain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2020, 12:22 PM   #11
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

PM sent.
Old 06-04-2021, 03:25 PM   #12
dlara
dlara began at the beginning.

Device: kobo glo hd N437-KU-BK-K-EP
Kobo Glo Hd

Ich brauche dringend die image Datei für SD Card
Vielen Dank
dlara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2021, 08:23 PM   #13
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer

PM sent.

Hopefully you want the image for the device you have listed in your profile rather than for the thread you are posting in.
Old 06-05-2021, 02:24 AM   #14
dlara

@davidfor

Danke für die schnelle Hilfe. Ich melde mich wenn der Kobo wieder läuft.
Old 06-05-2021, 07:28 AM   #15
dlara

Thumbs up @davidfor

Kobo läuft wieder! Ich bin dir wirklich sehr dankbar.