Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre Companion

Notices

Old 07-31-2017, 05:01 AM   #1
Roger_Mellie
Roger_Mellie began at the beginning.

Device: iPad & Kindle Voyage
Possible newbie question - copying multiple books from CC to Marvin?

Hi,

I have finally had enough of iBooks and all of its failings so this week I invested some time in updating my Calibre library. After a bit of googling I installed Calibre Companion and Marvin 3 on my iPad. CC is brilliant - really impressed with the speed that it transfers books from my Mac.

But I have hit one problem that days of head scratching hasn't resolved. How can I transfer more than one/all of my books from CC to Marvin 3. Getting one book done is easy but I want to do a one-time copy of all of my books. Can this be done?

In a similar vein, is there a way to set a default reader in CC? I have seen references to this on Android but cannot locate it in the iOS version?

I did search the forums but couldn't find an answer so apologies of this question has already been answered.

Thanks
Roger_Mellie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2017, 03:18 PM   #2
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
I don't know that it's possible to do any kind of bulk transfer, especially in iOS. Most people AFAIK use CC as their library app since it's very robust for sorting and searching and then just open the book they want to read in their reading app of choice (mine is MapleRead).

I don't think iOS allows a default.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-31-2017, 04:09 PM   #3
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Once you've used "Open In" on iOS a few times, it'll offer you your most used app as a default. For example, if I open a PDF file in Safari on my iPad and tap the top of the screen, I get "Open In GoodReader" at the top right of the screen (because that's the app that iOS knows I normally open PDF files in), and "More" in the top left. Tapping "More" shows me the other apps I could open it in, as well as giving me other options (print, etc).
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2017, 10:58 AM   #4
MSWallack
Right, Except When Wrong
MSWallack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MSWallack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MSWallack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MSWallack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MSWallack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MSWallack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MSWallack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MSWallack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MSWallack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MSWallack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MSWallack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3 (sometimes iPad Mini).
Bulk copy operations like those suggested by the OP would be a very welcome addition to the iOS version of CC. Very welcome. Like really, really welcome.
MSWallack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2017, 11:00 AM   #5
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSWallack View Post
Bulk copy operations like those suggested by the OP would be a very welcome addition to the iOS version of CC. Very welcome. Like really, really welcome.
Does it really fit in with the design philosophy of CC, though, do you think? I, like AnemicOak, have always considered CC to be my library, and the reading app simply a way to read whatever book it is I'm reading at the moment. I delete it from the reading app as soon as it's finished.

Why have a duplicate copy of the library in CC and the reading app?
Advert
Old 08-01-2017, 11:13 AM   #6
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Once you've used "Open In" on iOS a few times, it'll offer you your most used app as a default. For example, if I open a PDF file in Safari on my iPad and tap the top of the screen, I get "Open In GoodReader" at the top right of the screen (because that's the app that iOS knows I normally open PDF files in), and "More" in the top left. Tapping "More" shows me the other apps I could open it in, as well as giving me other options (print, etc).
Not quite the default the OP is looking for I don't think. In Android once a default reader is set the OS automatically launches the reading app when opening a book (like the Opens With setting in Windows), no extra tap for Open In. Mine shows MapleRead first for Open In when opening an ePub, which is good enough for me, but I could see it being tedious if they're trying to transfer a lot of books at once.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2017, 11:17 AM   #7
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnemicOak View Post
Not quite the default the OP is looking for I don't think. In Android once a default reader is set the OS automatically launches the reading app when opening a book (like the Opens With setting in Windows), no extra tap for Open In. Mine shows MapleRead first for Open In when opening an ePub, which is good enough for me, but I could see it being tedious if they're trying to transfer a lot of books at once.
Yes, I completely understand that. Unfortunately I don't think there's any way to do that in iOS. All you've got is "Open In".