Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 07-24-2017, 04:55 PM   #1
hannah
Zealot
hannah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hannah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hannah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hannah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hannah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hannah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hannah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hannah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hannah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hannah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hannah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo H20, Bebook mini
Library books - Your eReader is not authorized

Hello,

I can't open new library books on my kobo H2O anymore, following message appears : "Your ereader is not authorized to open this book." The books also show with black covers. I can open the books in ADE on my pc, it seems something goes wrong when I send them to the H2O
The library book I'm already reading is still ok, I can open it and read it.

I tried :
- to update, my kobo 4.5.9587, ADE 4.5.5.173692 (and calibre 3.4)
- to deauthorize the kobo and reauthorize it
- to delete the books and resend them

I hope I don't have to delete my database again because I have some books with lots of bookmarks I don't want to lose.

Thanks,
hannah
hannah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2017, 05:31 PM   #2
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
I'm not sure that Kobo supports ADE 4.5.5

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-24-2017, 10:46 PM   #3
hannah
Zealot
hannah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hannah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hannah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hannah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hannah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hannah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hannah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hannah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hannah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hannah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hannah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

How can I know ? Is there an older version I can download somewhere ?
Old 07-24-2017, 11:04 PM   #4
salamanderjuice
Guru
salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Nova 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by hannah View Post
How can I know ? Is there an older version I can download somewhere ?
Kobo has a support article about this very topic.

https://www.kobo.com/help/en-US/arti...tal%20Editions

Adobe does keep old versions of Digital Editions downloads available. Most people on this forum suggest 2.0.1 because it will only download books with DRM that's easy to remove(Not recommended for use with library books though!) and Kobo in that article suggests using 3.0.
salamanderjuice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2017, 03:04 AM   #5
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by salamanderjuice View Post
Kobo has a support article about this very topic.

https://www.kobo.com/help/en-US/arti...tal%20Editions

Adobe does keep old versions of Digital Editions downloads available. Most people on this forum suggest 2.0.1 because it will only download books with DRM that's easy to remove(Not recommended for use with library books though!) and Kobo in that article suggests using 3.0.
A bit odd to recommend not using 2.0.1 with library books. I still use that version since it allows me to remove DRM from downloaded epubs. Until my local library no longer supports ADE 2.0.1, I will continue to use it. I will admit that I do not remove DRM from library books as I really see no reason for backing up library books. This would mean updating to a later version would not cause me any issues with library books but leave me with issues with purchased epubs.

The download link for 2.0.1 for Windows is:
Adobe Digital Editions 2.0.1 Windows
and the download link for Macintosh is:
Adobe Digital Editions 2.0.1 Macintosh.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-25-2017, 06:23 AM   #6
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
It's not recommended to remove the DRM with library eBooks. 2.0.1 is recommend to use with library eBooks.
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2017, 06:25 AM   #7
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

ADE versions past 2.0.1 can possibly download eBooks using a new form of DRM that Kobo doesn't recognize. Also, there is currently no way to remove the new DRM. ADE 2.0.1 does not support this new DRM so when you download, the get the standard ADE DRM that can be stripped and that Kobo recognizes.
Old 07-25-2017, 09:09 AM   #8
hannah
Zealot

Hello,

it works !
Thanks a lot for helping me out !!

I deauthorized my pc and H2O, uninstalled ADE 4.5, installed ADE 2.0.1 (thanks for the download link) and authorized my pc and H2O again.
Then I downloaded the books again and send them to the H2O and now I can read them.

Thank you
hannah
Old 07-25-2017, 09:13 AM   #9
hannah
Zealot

I only dedrm books I buy, not the books I lend from libraries. I essentially read from the library so I'm really happy to be able to read again.
Old 07-25-2017, 10:52 AM   #10
salamanderjuice
Guru
salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DNSB View Post
A bit odd to recommend not using 2.0.1 with library books. I still use that version since it allows me to remove DRM from downloaded epubs. Until my local library no longer supports ADE 2.0.1, I will continue to use it. I will admit that I do not remove DRM from library books as I really see no reason for backing up library books. This would mean updating to a later version would not cause me any issues with library books but leave me with issues with purchased epubs.

The download link for 2.0.1 for Windows is:
Adobe Digital Editions 2.0.1 Windows
and the download link for Macintosh is:
Adobe Digital Editions 2.0.1 Macintosh.

I didn't mean don't use ADE 2.0.1 for library books, I meant don't remove DRM from library books. I could have made that clearer I guess.
Old 07-25-2017, 03:03 PM   #11
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Thanks for confirming a long standing question. This means that the ADE serve software in use by Overdrive is new enough to hand out the new DRM. So ADE 2.0.1 is the latest version you can use if you use Overdrive.
Old 07-25-2017, 03:08 PM   #12
salamanderjuice
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Thanks for confirming a long standing question. This means that the ADE serve software in use by Overdrive is new enough to hand out the new DRM. So ADE 2.0.1 is the latest version you can use if you use Overdrive.
I don't really see how this confirms that considering Kobo themselves suggest installing 3.0 to solve this problem. If the new DRM was the problem and 3.0 can hand that out why would they suggest using 3.0 and not 2.0.1?
Old 07-25-2017, 05:21 PM   #13
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Maybe something is different yet again past ADE 3.0 and Kobo Readers can't handle it but can handle ADE 3.0. This is just a guess.
Old 07-25-2017, 08:16 PM   #14
robko
Wizard
robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo
Quote:
I don't really see how this confirms that considering Kobo themselves suggest installing 3.0 to solve this problem. If the new DRM was the problem and 3.0 can hand that out why would they suggest using 3.0 and not 2.0.1?
The fact that Kobo CS suggests Ver 3.0 really is meaningless as like most CS they don't necessarily have accurate or correct information especially on more edge case issues like this (edge case currently anyway, will become a mainstream issue down the road).
robko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2017, 08:32 PM   #15
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
I didn't mean don't use ADE 2.0.1 for library books, I meant don't remove DRM from library books. I could have made that clearer I guess.
I agree with you about not de-DRMing library books. To use an old fashioned word, removing DRM from library loans is immoral.

Last edited by DNSB; 07-25-2017 at 08:45 PM.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote