Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Library Management

Notices

Old 07-22-2017, 05:15 AM   #1
Smokva
Smokva began at the beginning.

Device: none
Exclamation Delete 'phantom' default Library

Ref: Background to my issue is in post titled 'File not empty error' posted July 20, 2017 (Caution: it's wordy. Read only if completely confused with this post.).

In short, when installing Calibre in new computer, it created the default-folder "Calibre Library". I created a new folder in order to import my books called "Calibre-Library" (with a dash).
Transfer went perfectly.
Now, due to some latent OCD tendencies, I want my current (new) folder to be named 'Calibre Library' like the original default. And to delete the original folder.
So what I figured I would do is as follows:
1. Rename default folder from 'Calibre Library' to Junky Library
2. Rename NEW folder from 'Calibre-Library' to 'Calibre Library'
3. Delete Junky Library

Simple and logical - except that I can't do it.
While Calibre is obviously recognizing that I have the two libraries (I have the rename option), it only allows me to 'see' the new library (Calibre-Library) in the options. It looks like as far as Calibre is concerned, the original default-folder-library doesn't exist. Except, thanks to @BetterRed's comments, I know it does since the option to 'rename' does exist (evidently option not present with a single library).

So my question... can I rename the default-folder through File Explorer so that I can properly rename new-folder through Calibre? And then delete default-folder through Explorer again. Would I be messing something up in Calibre by doing that?

(Yeah... I'm sorry about this post. This has all the makings of an Abbott & Costello routine I honestly tried to figure it out on my own. )

Last edited by DoctorOhh; 07-23-2017 at 11:54 AM. Reason: Added link in first line.
Smokva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2017, 07:02 AM   #2
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

@Smokva - you cannot rename the current library, and rename is not available if there is only one library, so:
  • switch to Calibre-Library and use the Rename option to change Calibre Library to Junk Library
  • switch to Junk Library and Rename Calibre-Library to Calibre Library
  • switch to Calibre Library and Remove Junk Library

Curious: why are you insisting your 'new' library use the default name. Should you ever need to do this again, you will have to do the same soft shoe shuffle around the names. If your library name was other than 'Calibre Library' you could just import it with that name (e.g. Smokva's Books), and remove the default Calibre Library.

BR
BetterRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-22-2017, 08:57 AM   #3
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by BetterRed View Post
Curious: why are you insisting your 'new' library use the default name. Should you ever need to do this again, you will have to do the same soft shoe shuffle around the names. If your library name was other than 'Calibre Library' you could just import it with that name (e.g. Smokva's Books), and remove the default Calibre Library.

BR

My Main Library is called "MainLib" , I have others, "Intake", "Magazines"

If I ever see "Calibre Library", I know something went 'south' (Do the folk downunder say 'went North? ) with my configuration folder
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2017, 11:31 AM   #4
Smokva

@BetterRed, @theducks

I think I'm missing something again...

The 'switch to' option ... what exactly do you expect me to do with it? According to that option, my current library IS 'Calibre-Library' and it doesn't have an option to switch to 'Calibre Library'. In fact, the only indication that there are two libraries is the fact that they exist in my directory.

So if I cannot rename the current library, I cannot rename anything as that option simply doesn't exist. Nor can I switch to anything, nor can I delete anything other than 'Calibre-Library'. The default 'Calibre Library' simply does not show up.
(See pics).

As for why the obsession with the name? Well, to be honest, it was simply habit at first; I got used to seeing it that way on my old comp. But now it seems like a battle-of-wills... one that I MUST win! It will set the tone for all future applications that are thinking of messing with me!

But seriously, at this point I just don't want a superfluous folder in my directory and I want to make sure Calibre is set up correctly so I don't lose any books in some sort of crash that results from an improper initial config. And it concerns me that it seems to 'see' something but doesn't show it to me.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Calibre-1.png
Views:	68
Size:	28.8 KB
ID:	158039   Click image for larger version

Name:	Calibre-2.png
Views:	81
Size:	39.8 KB
ID:	158040  
Old 07-22-2017, 01:05 PM   #5
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smokva View Post
@BetterRed, @theducks

I think I'm missing something again...

The 'switch to' option ... what exactly do you expect me to do with it? According to that option, my current library IS 'Calibre-Library' and it doesn't have an option to switch to 'Calibre Library'. In fact, the only indication that there are two libraries is the fact that they exist in my directory.

So if I cannot rename the current library, I cannot rename anything as that option simply doesn't exist. Nor can I switch to anything, nor can I delete anything other than 'Calibre-Library'. The default 'Calibre Library' simply does not show up.
(See pics).

As for why the obsession with the name? Well, to be honest, it was simply habit at first; I got used to seeing it that way on my old comp. But now it seems like a battle-of-wills... one that I MUST win! It will set the tone for all future applications that are thinking of messing with me!

But seriously, at this point I just don't want a superfluous folder in my directory and I want to make sure Calibre is set up correctly so I don't lose any books in some sort of crash that results from an improper initial config. And it concerns me that it seems to 'see' something but doesn't show it to me.
You are missing , the first item on the menu: Create/Switch

That establishes the libraries that Calibe 'knows' about.
(Switch for established, but still unknown (can happen when moved or restored).
Create for when you want to make a brand new, EMPTY library (this also has the option to borrow the structure of an existing (custom column) library
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-22-2017, 03:07 PM   #6
Smokva

Ok... so here are the steps I've taken to thoroughly screw up my computer (thank God created system image just before this )

1.Clicked Switch/Create; selected 'Use previously existing library at new location' and the location was '.../Calibre Library' (the bad default).

Result: My books disappeared from Calibre... so ok (brief panic attack before logic set in ).

Next:
-Although you (theducks) didn't say it, I figured I need to switch back to Calibre-Library since I technically can't rename current one (right?). So I did a 'quick switch' back. And then I could 'see' the original 'Calibre Library' under my C:/../Calibre-Library. I was able to rename it to 'Junk Library'.

-I then 'quick switched' to Junk Library, and renamed 'Calibre-Library'.... incorrectly of course. I didn't realize that I should delete the C:/../ before the folder name so (I think) I inadvertently created another library (_UserName_Documents_Calibre Library).

-So I again attempted to rename Calibre-Library by deleting the C:/../ .. and this time it worked.

- 'Quick switched' back to the newly named 'Calibre Library' and my books showed up so I knew it was the proper folder.

- Was now able to delete (better term: disconnect) the Junk Library from Calibre (note: actual folder needs to be deleted manually), deleted the accidentally created library '_UserName_Documents_Calibre Library' which evidently did not have a folder associated with it.

Everything looks good.

Lessons I think I learned:

1. A 'library' in Calibre is not a 'folder' in Explorer; rather it is associated or linked to a folder in Explorer. That is why it does not immediately show up in options. It is not an equivalent of 'browse your files'.

2. You may need to use Switch/create command to establish that link so that you can view that folder within the Calibre options. (This is why I could not 'see' the two libraries initially and switch between them.)

3. Further to 'Switch' not being an equivalent to 'browse for folders', you have to be prepared to manually enter the full directory of the folder in order to establish the link.

4. Renaming refers to the folder only. So if the directory link is showing as a default, delete all but the actual folder name.

5. Creating a library does not mean creating a folder on your system... (I haven't checked this but I am assuming it). It refers to the creation of a link to a folder. Therefore, when you 'delete' a library, it does not delete the folder, it simply severs & deletes the link allowing you to delete the folder manually. Conversely, if you want to create a library, you must create the folder manually to establish the link.

Sooooo... THAT is the thought process that allowed me to get it done.
I know it is technically over-simplified, but I do not think the inaccuracies are relevant at this level.

I believe my main problem was some basic preconceptions in how Calibre works - primarily that folders & Libraries were the same thing... and that is not quite so. But this was causing a lot of confusion for me. I hope this detailed breakdown helps someone else who may be equally confused (please ... don't let me be the only one!

Thanks so much to @theducks and @BetterRed for patiently humouring me.
Saints. The both of you.
(Sorry about some of the grammatical issues.. I was typing while I was doing it - so some of my tenses may seem off. )

Last edited by Smokva; 07-22-2017 at 03:12 PM. Reason: clarity (heh heh)
Old 07-22-2017, 08:35 PM   #7
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

@Smokva - your screen shot's indicate you have two libraries with the name "Calibre-Library", I think that can only happen if they are in different locations. I suspect this is contributing to your difficulties.

The one available in Quick Switch and Rename is located at "C\:Users\<whatever>\Documents\Calibre-Library\"

You can find out where the other one is located by going into Switch/create library...

Click image for larger version

Name:	1.jpg
Views:	94
Size:	23.4 KB
ID:	158047

Or maybe one of them has a regular 'hyphen', and the other one has something else (en dash, zero width joiner ??)

@theducks - down here 'gone south' has same meaning, also 'belly up', and if you want to be verbose 'the whip's come of the handle'.

My main monitor did all three an hour ago when the screen broke away from its stand. In this instance an el-cheapo, die-cast joiner snapped. So I'm using a smaller lower-res job. Cost of repair would almost certainly exceed cost of a new monitor, so I just ordered a Dell S2417DG.

BR
BetterRed is offline   Reply With Quote