Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 07-16-2017, 10:02 AM   #1
ben_hud
ben_hud began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle PW3
Removing Kindle User's Guide

Hello, I've recently acquired a Kindle PW3 and I'm not so familiar with it yet.

On the main screen (I think it's 'My Library') are 3 different items, the first is kindle paperwhite User's Guide 3rd edtion, there's also 4th edition and then there is 'Dictionaries'. I can't seem to figure out how to get rid of these items (or at least the 2 User's Guides).

When I tap on them they download and then I get the option to 'Remove from Device' but the icons then still remain in the list.

Anyone know how to get rid of these? Or at least how to hide them?
ben_hud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2017, 10:30 AM   #2
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Change the selector at the top left of the library screen from "ALL" to "DOWNLOADED". The "ALL" option shows you all the items in your Cloud library; "DOWNLOADED" shows you just what's currently on the device.

You would know this if you'd actually read the User Guide rather than deleting it .
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-16-2017, 10:37 AM   #3
ben_hud
ben_hud began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle PW3
Haha you are right Harry :P Well there is ALSO a 5th Edition which is the one I wanted to keep. I don't why they have to have 3 editions of the same Guide rather than just the latest one. Simply wanted to get rid of the other 2.

Thank you
ben_hud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2017, 10:38 AM   #4
jswinden
Nameless Being

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Change the selector at the top left of the library screen from "ALL" to "DOWNLOADED". The "ALL" option shows you all the items in your Cloud library; "DOWNLOADED" shows you just what's currently on the device.

You would know this if you'd actually read the User Guide rather than deleting it .
Sorry, not trying to be an a$$ or anything, but as a retired technical writer I was constantly having to deal with customers who couldn't figure out the software our company sold. I would ask them

Me: "Well did you read page ##?"

Customer: "No."

Me: "Well open the book to page ##, and look at the second paragraph."

Customer: "Oh, so that is how you do that! Thanks!"

Me:

And even though that frustrated the heck out of our technical writing staff, we tended to do the same thing! "Manuals? We don't need no stinking manuals!" That common human reaction to manuals wherein we think we are smart enough to figure things out without bothering to read the manual.

Last edited by jswinden; 07-16-2017 at 10:40 AM.
Old 07-16-2017, 10:41 AM   #5
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
But these days, you don't get manuals. You get help files or other almost worthless documentation.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-16-2017, 10:44 AM   #6
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
But these days, you don't get manuals. You get help files or other almost worthless documentation.
The Kindle User Guide is actually very good. Have you read it?
Old 07-16-2017, 10:46 AM   #7
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
I have not. I've not had a need to read it. I've never actually read any user guide on any Reader that I've used. I've not read the Kindle PW3 or Kindle Touch user guides.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2017, 10:50 AM   #8
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Quote:
I have not. I've not had a need to read it. I've never actually read any user guide on any Reader that I've used. I've not read the Kindle PW3 or Kindle Touch user guides.
And yet you disparagingly say:

Quote:
How can you know how good (or otherwise) a User Guide that you haven't read is?
Old 07-16-2017, 11:07 AM   #9
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
Quote:
Originally Posted by ben_hud View Post
Haha you are right Harry :P Well there is ALSO a 5th Edition which is the one I wanted to keep. I don't why they have to have 3 editions of the same Guide rather than just the latest one. Simply wanted to get rid of the other 2.

Thank you
My solution was to create a collection named: Amazon
Then I hid all of their stuff in the collection.
Still available, but not taking up 'front page' space.
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2017, 11:42 AM   #10
Cinisajoy
Just a Yellow Smiley.
Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K4, K5, fire, kobo, galaxy
Quote:
Or you get an 800 page almost impossible to search PDF. Yes, it took a week but I did get my paper copy. Of course first response was you can download the manual.
The assumption that everyone has a smartphone rubbed me the wrong way.
It was a manual for a truck.
Cinisajoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2017, 06:20 PM   #11
patrickt
Wizard
patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite 4 X 2
Years ago, I showed someone at work how to do something on the PC and he was amazed. "Where do you learn things like that?" "Page two of the friggin' manual." Long pause and, "I haven't gotten that far, yet."
patrickt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2018, 12:42 AM   #12
solitarywolf
Ink Drinker
solitarywolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.solitarywolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.solitarywolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.solitarywolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.solitarywolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.solitarywolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.solitarywolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.solitarywolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.solitarywolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.solitarywolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.solitarywolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Scribe, Kindle 2021, Ipad Pro, iPhone Pro
I know this thread is old, but the simple answer to delete all the older editions of the Amazon Kindle Users guide is this:

On a PC, go to your account. Under Devices and Content, change Books to Dictionaries and User Guides.

It will list several editions in several languages. I deleted all but the most recent as it covers the "update" that I am currently on.
solitarywolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2018, 01:56 AM   #13
stumped
Wizard
stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo forma, Kobo Libra, Huawei media Tab, fire HD10, PW3 HDX8.9,
Quote:
nah - he falls into the too smart category

see post #4. ...
"That common human reaction to manuals wherein we think we are smart enough to figure things out without bothering to read the manual.

i never did figure out why amazon push multiple kindle user guide versions though - I once had 5 turn up on one device: version2, version 3, version 4...
since then I resorted to find and delete from cloud to lose the older versions.
stumped is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2018, 07:31 AM   #14
patrickt
Wizard
patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite 4 X 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by stumped View Post
nah - he falls into the too smart category

see post #4. ...
"That common human reaction to manuals wherein we think we are smart enough to figure things out without bothering to read the manual.

i never did figure out why amazon push multiple kindle user guide versions though - I once had 5 turn up on one device: version2, version 3, version 4...
since then I resorted to find and delete from cloud to lose the older versions.
I've never had Amazon or Kindle "push" a users guide beyond having one loaded on device at start up.

What I can't believe are people who expect some else to read for them and then tell them the answers.
patrickt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2018, 06:40 PM   #15
ps67
Guru
ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Kobo Elipsa, Pocketbook Color PB633, Inkpad Color
When I bought my kindle the first book I read was just the manual, and every time a new edition comes out, as it should be if there are important changes in the firmware, I reread it, or at least give it a quick look.
I am one of the few that reads the manuals?
ps67 is offline   Reply With Quote