Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Introduce Yourself

Notices

Old 09-06-2008, 12:20 PM   #1
Cymro
Cymro began at the beginning.

Device: PRS-505
Good Morrow

A new arrival here having just picked my PRS-505 here in the UK.

It's not my first ebook reader but I hope it won't join my other Sony, the Data Diskman, and my Rocket in a drawer somewhere. I've also had a variety of readers on PDAs, Ipod Touch, Psions etc.

They've all suffered from lack of content and my hope is that, this time, the critical mass will be reached and the publishers start putting out new and back editions for the medium.

This one gets its first trial next week, 3 flights in 3 days and a 5 day conference in Turkey at the end.

Any recommended sources for classic detectives, Ngaio Marsh, Christie, Allingham et al; my travelling favourites, for which I'm happy to pay but welcome, of course, free or cheap.

Hwyl
Cymro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2008, 12:28 PM   #2
zelda_pinwheel
zeldinha zippy zeldissima
zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: eb1150 & is that a nook in her pocket, or she just happy to see you?
ah, classical detectives, a reader after my own heart ! well of course the first place you should look is our very own ebook upload section, full of free public domain books lovingly hand-formatted by our members. click on "e-books" in the blue bar. you can use the handy prefix system to sort by genre ("mystery", for example). we've got several Dorothy L. Sayers which have been added recently, she's one of my personal favorites. we also have a steady stream of pulp mystery novels from Dr. Drib, so if you also like the more noir mysteries there should be plenty to keep you occupied ! if you like older classics don't miss the Sherlock Holmes omnibus. there's also a good supply of Anna Katharine Green which i've just discovered and am enjoying immensely, and Chesterton, and... well, just go take a look around !

Christie is not yet in the public domain with the exception of one of her books (which we've got here) however i believe you can get all of her books at fictionwise.com. that's a good place to check for other non-public domain authors too.

i also hope we've reached or are about to reach the tipping point and content will soon be massively available ; i'm really optimistic that ebooks are breaking out of their niche (to the degree that that is possible) with all the new devices arriving and the current ones becoming available to wider markets. in france the content situation is even more dire than for the anglophones so i really have all my fingers crossed !

oh, and welcome to the forum, by the way !
zelda_pinwheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-06-2008, 12:46 PM   #3
Elsi
Wizard
Elsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of light

Device: Kindle; Sony PRS 505; Blackberry 8700C
While Marsh and Allingham aren't available here -- probably because they are still under copyright -- there are a couple of Christie's books which have been uploaded to MobileRead.I have no idea whether these are still in copyright in the UK, so I'll let you check that out.

But don't let that stop you. Check out other mystery novels. I think you'll find all of Wilkie Collin's novels posted here, including the famous The Moonstone. Patricia has been posting mysteries by Anna Katherine Green; you might start with The Mill Mystery. Dorothy Sayer's Peter Whimsey novels have begun showing up, including Clouds of Witness. If you haven't read John Buchan's mysteries starring Richard Hannay, you should definitely check them out. You can either start with The Thirty-Nine Steps, or just grab the entire Richard Hannay Omnibus.

HarryT has posted many mysteries. Among them are the Philo Vance stories by S S Van Dyne. "The series features the amateur investigator 'Philo Vance', and are all detective stories of the 'old school', complete with plans of the murder scene, solving of clues, questioning of witnesses, and so forth." Start at the very beginning with The Benson Murder Case. You can check out the evil Dr. Fu Manchu by downloading the first of the Sax Rohmer anthologies. And don't overlook G K Chesterton's very own Father Brown.

So many mysteries ... should keep you busy on your trip next week.

Oh. Welcome to MobileRead.
Elsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2008, 12:48 PM   #4
zelda_pinwheel
zeldinha zippy zeldissima
zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: eb1150 & is that a nook in her pocket, or she just happy to see you?
oh good heavens, i don't know how i could have forgotten to mention SS Van Dine !!! another of my favorites. and Elsi has added quite a few others including some that i should take a look at myself...

anyway as you can see you may never have to pay for another classic mystery again, now that you've shelled out for a sony.
zelda_pinwheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2008, 05:16 PM   #5
MickeyC
Grand Sorcerer
MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 6 plus, Sony T1, iPad 3
Hi Cymro and welcome to the Forum.
MickeyC is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert