Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 05-16-2017, 04:11 AM   #1
androidlad
androidlad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.androidlad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.androidlad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.androidlad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.androidlad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.androidlad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.androidlad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.androidlad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.androidlad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.androidlad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.androidlad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paper White
Eink Carta, what's next?

With the lack of competition (I guess), Eink seems to have gone through very few iterations, from Vizplex, Pearl to Carta, which has been around for many years and has no successor yet.

Did Eink just stop at Carta and shift R&D focus to other industries?
androidlad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2017, 05:33 AM   #2
David Munch
Scholar
David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra H2O + iPad Air 4
They announced Advanced Color ePaper a year ago now.

For black and white displays, one would assume that they could announce something new anytime now, since it's been 3 years since the Carta technology, and 2 years sine the Carta HD technology..
David Munch is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-16-2017, 09:45 AM   #3
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
I'd have thought we'd see more Mobius use by now, but apparently not (I think I saw a 10" device coming out soon). I don't know if it's cost (since Sony helped develop it they may get $$$ when it's used causing an increased price), lack of interest, or perhaps problems in the manufacturing process.

Perhaps they're spending their innovation/R&D money more on the signage & architectural aspects they've introduced.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2017, 04:28 PM   #4
rkomar
Wizard
rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505, PB 902, PRS-T1, PB 623, PB 840, PB 633
Why isn't there more competition? Because it's hard, time-consuming and expensive to come up with new technologies. Based on how E-Ink's technology works, I'm impressed with how well they got it working. I think that people frustrated with E-Ink are seriously underestimating how difficult what they're doing is. I certainly don't think they're not trying to further improve things just because they have no competition.
rkomar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2017, 09:14 PM   #5
barryem
Wizard
barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite 4
If color doesn't interest you, and it doesn't interest me, it's hard to see what could be done to improve a lighted e-ink display. i don't read paper books anymore but I did buy a couple of used ones because there was no other way to get those old books. They came in excellent condition although the paper is very slightly yellowed. Emphasis on "slightly". I haven't read them yet but I have compared them to my Voyage and the Voyage looks a lot better.

Given that mono e-ink is already as good or better than paper, and given that e-ink devices aren't particularly big sellers these days, I don't see where they'll be very motivated to spend a lot of money improving it. And I find it hard to care.

Maybe if the signage thing takes off that'll change. But at the moment I suspect e-ink is just what it is.

Barry
barryem is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-17-2017, 08:09 AM   #6
fjtorres
Grand Sorcerer
fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: T100TA,PW2,PRS-T1,KT,FireHD 8.9,K2, PB360,BeBook One,Axim51v,TC1000
The core tech is what it is and there isn't much they can do to "improve" it.
Where the changes have come in the panels is in how they use the display film; different substrates, backplanes, lighting modules, sealing...

The biggest gain and hardest thing to implement is the plastic substrate. At some point they'll figure out how to do it affordably but it's one of the grails of tech and nobody has really, ahem, cracked the problem.

That they managed mobius is impressive enough.
fjtorres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2017, 08:58 AM   #7
crossi
Guru
crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle
When's the next improvement to paper going to be out? It's been centuries and it's pretty much the same. Why this insistence on constant "improvement"? If something is good enough for the job that's good enough for me. In fact some "improvements" I would have preferred to do without. I would rather Amazon had stuck with the old Mobi format which was good enough for my purposes instead of AZW3 much less it's latest so called improved format.
crossi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2017, 10:07 AM   #8
fjtorres
Grand Sorcerer
fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: T100TA,PW2,PRS-T1,KT,FireHD 8.9,K2, PB360,BeBook One,Axim51v,TC1000
Quote:
Originally Posted by crossi View Post
When's the next improvement to paper going to be out? It's been centuries and it's pretty much the same. Why this insistence on constant "improvement"? If something is good enough for the job that's good enough for me.
eInk film looks to be as optimized as it's going to get.
eReaders could stand some improvement but not in the "sexy" specmanship places. What we have is about as good and cheap as the mainstream needs.
We see no real changes because good enough is good enough.

Durability, which is where plastic substrates come in.
The electronics could go to even lower power, maybe enough to be powered by transparent solar cells at some point. (Would likely require ditching wifi).
Bezzle-less designs to accomodate larger screens in the same form factor.
Lower cost? Not a great priority with current volumes.
Larger screens? Not without significant weight reductions which brings us back to plastic substrates. Glass is fragile and heavy or expensive and heavy.

What else does a dedicated reading device really need?
Most of people's wishlists are software features anyway, not hardware.
And even there it is techies and enthusiasts pining for fancy features. Plus academics pining for big pdf-worthy screens but that's a different market anyway.
fjtorres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2017, 02:48 PM   #9
rkomar
Wizard
rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I think the people with the most gripes about the display are those that want something as responsive and clean as an LCD or OLED screen because they actually want to use them as general purpose tablets or computer monitors rather than semi-static reading devices.
Old 05-17-2017, 05:11 PM   #10
pickyaxe
Addict
pickyaxe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pickyaxe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pickyaxe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pickyaxe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pickyaxe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pickyaxe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pickyaxe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pickyaxe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pickyaxe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pickyaxe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pickyaxe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by rkomar View Post
I think the people with the most gripes about the display are those that want something as responsive and clean as an LCD or OLED screen because they actually want to use them as general purpose tablets or computer monitors rather than semi-static reading devices.
Well to be fair, being able to read PDF is a huge use case. Especially for academics.
pickyaxe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2017, 05:14 PM   #11
rkomar
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by pickyaxe View Post
Well to be fair, being able to read PDF is a huge use case. Especially for academics.
Is the Carta screen not good enough for that right now? What new E-Ink-related developments are necessary for that if that's not the case?
Old 05-17-2017, 07:42 PM   #12
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
The next step would be Readers with a plastic backed screen instead of glass.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2017, 07:58 PM   #13
Lemurion
eReader
Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Note 5; PW3; Nook HD+; ChuWi Hi12; iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by rkomar View Post
Is the Carta screen not good enough for that right now? What new E-Ink-related developments are necessary for that if that's not the case?
The big issue for PDF reading on E-Ink is display size.

Most of the PDFs I own are large-format RPG rulebooks, and ideally I'd want a 13-14" device to read them easily.

That's the advance I'm looking for.
Lemurion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2017, 09:35 PM   #14
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
There are 13.3" devices out now for such a use case (with the Mobius screen). Unfortunately they are quite expensive.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2017, 10:15 PM   #15
barryem
Wizard
barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by pickyaxe View Post
I think the problems with PDF are more due to limitations of the format than of the reading device.

Barry
barryem is offline   Reply With Quote