Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 05-15-2017, 11:07 PM   #1
edge13
edge13 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Exclamation My Kindle stuck on the tree screen after updating to 5.8.9.2

Hi,

My Kindle Voyage was running the firmware 5.8.9 after I manually updated it to 5.8.9.2, it is stuck on the tree screen.

I did 40 seconds hard reset, and I also left it on charging for at lease 1 hour then 40 seconds hard reset again. They didn't work.

Is there anything I can do before I contact Amazon, please?

Thank you!
edge13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2017, 11:12 PM   #2
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
Nope.
They broke it, tell them about it.
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-15-2017, 11:34 PM   #3
edge13

Thanks for your reply @knc1, but my device is not under warranty, they won't replace/fix it...
Old 05-15-2017, 11:35 PM   #4
Cinisajoy
Just a Yellow Smiley.
Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K4, K5, fire, kobo, galaxy
Quote:
Originally Posted by edge13 View Post
Thanks for your reply @knc1, but my device is not under warranty, they won't replace/fix it...
Tell them anyway. You might get a good discount off a new one or even a new one.
It can't hurt to ask.
Cinisajoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2017, 11:42 PM   #5
coplate
Guru
coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: prs-505, Kindle Keyboard 3g, PW3
You really should try contacting amazon first, worst case they don't help you, but they can't make anything worse.
coplate is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-15-2017, 11:43 PM   #6
crich70
Grand Sorcerer
crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, Kindle Paperwhite, Calibre, and Mobipocket for Pc (netbook)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cinisajoy View Post
Tell them anyway. You might get a good discount off a new one or even a new one.
It can't hurt to ask.
True. I remember I broke a Kindle K3 once by accidentally dropping it. The screen broke and it was about a month out of warranty I believe. I couldn't get a free replacement but I did get a replacement at a lower than brand new price as I recall. My new one had been aroundd $130.00 I think and the one I got to replace it was only around $60.00 at the time. Still not the cheapest but cheaper than a brand new one.
crich70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2017, 11:45 PM   #7
crich70
Grand Sorcerer
crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, Kindle Paperwhite, Calibre, and Mobipocket for Pc (netbook)
Quote:
Originally Posted by coplate View Post
You really should try contacting amazon first, worst case they don't help you, but they can't make anything worse.
And you may get lucky by finding it's a 'known issue' with some possible solutions that they can talk you through.
crich70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2017, 12:07 AM   #8
edge13

OK, I reached the Amazon service, they only give me $80 discount if I will buy a brand new kindle voyage.

I'm wondering if it is fixable by any chance?
Old 05-16-2017, 12:53 AM   #9
Cinisajoy
Just a Yellow Smiley.
Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Pretty good discount there.
Old 05-16-2017, 01:07 AM   #10
coplate
Guru
coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: prs-505, Kindle Keyboard 3g, PW3
Copying a question knc1 has asked in previous threads:
Can you see the USB storage area on your PC when you connect the cable?

And the recommendations for leaving it on a wall charger for a full 24 hours are serious, that keeps it from going to deep sleep, and some things take a very long time to perform sometimes.

Last edited by coplate; 05-16-2017 at 01:12 AM.
coplate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2017, 07:10 AM   #11
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by edge13 View Post
And if no one ever tells them that 5.8.9.2 is breaking devices in the field, they will never take down the broken firmware updates.

Note:
Amazon/Lab126, a group of highly paid professionals, has posted more broken firmware updates than this forum of un-paid hobbyists ever has here.

Translation:
You can trust the things you download from this forum a lot more than you can trust the things you download from Amazon.
Old 05-16-2017, 11:57 AM   #12
edge13

Quote:
Originally Posted by coplate View Post
Copying a question knc1 has asked in previous threads:
Can you see the USB storage area on your PC when you connect the cable?
No, my PC can't recognize kindle anymore.
Old 05-16-2017, 12:00 PM   #13
edge13

Quote:
Originally Posted by knc1 View Post
You can trust the things you download from this forum a lot more than you can trust the things you download from Amazon.
Yes, lesson learned, any chance I can fix it, please? I think it's just a software issue, should be fixable, right?
Old 05-16-2017, 12:06 PM   #14
Cinisajoy
Just a Yellow Smiley.

If we had a solution, you would have a solution.
What you might try is putting it on a wall charger for between 24 and 48 hours. Then and only then take it off the charger and hold the power button for 40 seconds.
That is my best idea.
No less than 24 hours.
Old 05-16-2017, 12:53 PM   #15
knc1
Going Viral

You are the only one reporting that an update to 5.8.9.2 broke their Kindle.
So you already know all that we know about the problem.