Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 03-25-2017, 04:04 AM   #1
gzcwnk
Enthusiast
gzcwnk began at the beginning.

Device: kindle
PW2 is there a way to flash the firmware back?

Hi,

I have a PW2 (B0d4) that I flashed the firmware back to 5.4.3.2 which I need to run a particular web page (web page wont display on newer firmware). I need to do the same thing for another pw2 (90D4) as far as I can tell the 90D4 should be able to use the same bin? However I seem to be unable to tell it to update, its greyed out. Her PW2 is on 5.8.7.0.1, am I missing something please?
gzcwnk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2017, 07:44 AM   #2
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
Quote:
Originally Posted by gzcwnk View Post
Hi,

I have a PW2 (B0d4) that I flashed the firmware back to 5.4.3.2 which I need to run a particular web page (web page wont display on newer firmware). I need to do the same thing for another pw2 (90D4) as far as I can tell the 90D4 should be able to use the same bin? However I seem to be unable to tell it to update, its greyed out. Her PW2 is on 5.8.7.0.1, am I missing something please?
Only that Amazon/Lab126 disabled the ability to downgrade the firmware version using their customer "Update" packages a few years ago.

There is an old saying: "There are always 10% who didn't get the word (or the memo)."
Welcome to that exceptional 10%.

- - - - -

Follow the current jailbreak directions, with the exception of taking the branch to the older jail break.
That is: stay with the current set of directions even when told to transfer your attention to the older jail break.
I.E: Do not skip steps #5 and #6 like everyone else with a PW-2 does. Instead, do them.

Having completed steps #5 and #6, leaves you looking at step #7 - -
Also at that point, your Kindle is jail broken (you can ignore that) and running the factory build of firmware 5.4.3.2 -
So instead of updating in step #7 to a newer firmware, just update to the consumer build of firmware 5.4.3.2, using the Amazon PW2 Update package for that purpose.

Then do step #8 just to complete the entire procedure.
Which will also help you if the device should accidental (your view point) update to 5.8.8.

The current jail break is at (where you should go AFTER reading the rest of this post):
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=275877

= = = =

I guess I don't have to tell you how to get an older than current update package from the Amazon servers.
You either know how or still have the 5.4.3.2 update package you used on your own device.

- - - - -

Also, consider just using our build of the Skipstone browser rather than the Amazon provided browser -
Then you can skip all of this c*** about getting the device to run only 5.4.3.2
Although I do suggest that you not run anything newer than 5.8.7.

Last edited by knc1; 03-25-2017 at 07:56 AM.
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-25-2017, 03:31 PM   #3
gzcwnk
Enthusiast

Thanks, I am afraid that the forum is so 'messy" that trying to find right current instructions is actually quite hard (after an hour of not getting far I posted). NB The web browser in the jailbreak software also does not work, I assume both the Kindle's web browser and Skipstone have a dependency on the OS / library that stops proper rendering. Back dating the firmware to 5.4.3.2 and both work but the Kindle's web browser displays the web page better in portrait orientation than skipstone.
Old 03-25-2017, 03:52 PM   #4
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Thanks, I am afraid that the forum is so 'messy" that trying to find right current instructions is actually quite hard (after an hour of not getting far I posted). NB The web browser in the jailbreak software also does not work, I assume both the Kindle's web browser and Skipstone have a dependency on the OS / library that stops proper rendering. Back dating the firmware to 5.4.3.2 and both work but the Kindle's web browser displays the web page better in portrait orientation than skipstone.
There are no "current instructions" for what you say you needed to do. You can stop looking for them, they do not exist.

What I did do was write-up how to modify the current (for normal users) instructions to yield what you want.

If you find my answer "messy" in asking you to combine the contents of the two posts, then please ask for help at some other site.
You have a one-of-a-kind problem, so you will have to put up with a one-of-a-kind answer.
Old 03-25-2017, 03:58 PM   #5
gzcwnk
Enthusiast

Thanks very much for your efforts. If this works you have saved our club's members a huge headache.
Advert
Old 03-25-2017, 04:06 PM   #6
gzcwnk
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by knc1 View Post
There are no "current instructions" for what you say you needed to do. You can stop looking for them, they do not exist.

What I did do was write-up how to modify the current (for normal users) instructions to yield what you want.

If you find my answer "messy" in asking you to combine the contents of the two posts, then please ask for help at some other site.
You have a one-of-a-kind problem, so you will have to put up with a one-of-a-kind answer.
======
Ah thanks, No I meant trying to find the update / current thread to follow in the forum is pretty difficult. Plus, I spent time reading that if I get this wrong its a "brick" which made me edgy to say the least so I was very nervious in getting it wrong. I mean am doing it to others kindles here probably a handful, If I brick my own one no biggee I fully accept the risks & impact of doing a jailbreak but telling a fellow non-IT savvy club member "sorry I trashed your $200NZD kindle while I was breaking into it" isnt a good look/feel.

Last edited by gzcwnk; 03-25-2017 at 04:25 PM.
Old 03-25-2017, 04:11 PM   #7
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Could you not simply look at this web page on a different device? That would seem a somewhat easier solution! Is there a reason that it has to be viewed on a PW2?
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2017, 06:18 PM   #8
knc1
Going Viral

Or just get the club members to fix their bad web-page.
Old 03-25-2017, 06:38 PM   #9
gzcwnk
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Could you not simply look at this web page on a different device? That would seem a somewhat easier solution! Is there a reason that it has to be viewed on a PW2?
No.

We are out on a gun range looking at a hard coded and very picky java version based web server blackbox that shows us the bullet impacts on the targets (the tech on how its done is fascinating). So a) we are in bright sunlight, ipads, laptops, fade out, but the Kindles screen is still totally readable in this bright light situation. b) The battery life of the kindle is exceptional, so we run 8+ hours with no practical way to charge ipads/laptops etc even sometimes over 2 days and the Kindle lasts the distance. c) It charges very quickly even off a car cigarette lighter socket compared to say an ipad which pretty much will not. d) Weight, the kindle is very light, pretty compact, actually quite tough and pretty waterproof. e) new/ replacement cost, the Kindle is very cheap especially when you want 5~10+ of them.
Old 03-25-2017, 06:40 PM   #10
gzcwnk
Enthusiast

Quote:
Or just get the club members to fix their bad web-page.
We cant its hard coded into the black box web server, so we'd need to buy a new black box and they are expensive. We are saving up for new ones.
Old 03-25-2017, 07:54 PM   #11
knc1
Going Viral

Quote:
We cant its hard coded into the black box web server, so we'd need to buy a new black box and they are expensive. We are saving up for new ones.
Well, Kindles are pretty much a black box also.

From what you posted previously -
What you need is support for Java script that has a specific collection of quarks.

Browser Java script is usually implemented as a browser plug-in -
I don't recall anyone posting about replacing the JS in either browser, but technically it should be possible - for any firmware version.
Old 03-25-2017, 08:09 PM   #12
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
No.

We are out on a gun range looking at a hard coded and very picky java version based web server blackbox that shows us the bullet impacts on the targets (the tech on how its done is fascinating). So a) we are in bright sunlight, ipads, laptops, fade out, but the Kindles screen is still totally readable in this bright light situation. b) The battery life of the kindle is exceptional, so we run 8+ hours with no practical way to charge ipads/laptops etc even sometimes over 2 days and the Kindle lasts the distance. c) It charges very quickly even off a car cigarette lighter socket compared to say an ipad which pretty much will not. d) Weight, the kindle is very light, pretty compact, actually quite tough and pretty waterproof. e) new/ replacement cost, the Kindle is very cheap especially when you want 5~10+ of them.
Ok, but there are plenty of other eInk devices out there, many of which allow you to install enormously more capable web browsers than the rather quirky browser that the Kindle has.
Old 03-26-2017, 08:18 AM   #13
knc1
Going Viral

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Ok, but there are plenty of other eInk devices out there, many of which allow you to install enormously more capable web browsers than the rather quirky browser that the Kindle has.
Or run the connection through a proxy that "fixes" things so that the Kindle displays it properly.

Note: The Kindle will render an HTML file if the filename ends with the extension: .txt
Some of Amazon's diagnostics use that feature.
I also wrote a worked example in my "CPU Report" add-in.

But whatever -
I and Harry T. are responding in the same spirit (rare here) -
Running an extremely old firmware on a stock Kindle is not the real answer that you need.
Old 03-26-2017, 09:40 AM   #14
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Quote:
But whatever -
I and Harry T. are responding in the same spirit (rare here) -
Running an extremely old firmware on a stock Kindle is not the real answer that you need.
Agreed. Look for the best solution for the problem, rather than focussing on the technicalities of the wrong solution.
Old 03-29-2017, 01:52 AM   #15
gzcwnk
Enthusiast

Sorry I dont agree here given the age of the equipment, cost to replace and that we'll replace it in about 2 years once we have saved up plus and how well it works as is. Also we have tested various other e-readers and the Kindle worked the best and now we have the investment made.

But thanks for the info I have it back on the factory firmware OK, so now Im following the rest of the points.