Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 03-23-2017, 06:24 PM   #1
Alpha o
Addict
Alpha o ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alpha o ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alpha o ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alpha o ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alpha o ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alpha o ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alpha o ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alpha o ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alpha o ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alpha o ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alpha o ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Onyx Boox Darwin, inkBOOK Obsidian
Unwelcome

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2017/03..._web_standard/

DRM for the web.
Alpha o is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2017, 07:01 PM   #2
bgalbrecht
Wizard
bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Simple Touch, Kobo Glo HD, Kobo Clara HD, Kindle 4
The fact of the matter is that we already have DRM for the web, with the hideously insecure flash and silverlight plugins. If this means we can switch to a much more secure html5 implementation with built in DRM, that works non windows, non mac systems, it's still better than the status quo.
bgalbrecht is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-24-2017, 03:37 AM   #3
Sweetpea
Grand Sorcerer
Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Inkpad 4 Color; Samsung Galaxy Tab S6
I never had a problem with DRM, as long as it doesn't stop me from accessing content I have a right to access on any device I'd like to access it on. Which is what DRM on ebooks does (you cannot read all formats on all devices and you cannot change format unless you remove the DRM).

So, I'm all for this DRM for HTML5 as HTML5 is (or should be!) supported on any device that is capable of showing video streams.
Sweetpea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2017, 03:42 AM   #4
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Seems entirely reasonable to me. Content providers have a right to protect streamed content, and this won't prevent anyone from watching such streams.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2017, 06:02 AM   #5
aardbewoner
Grumpy
aardbewoner ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aardbewoner ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aardbewoner ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aardbewoner ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aardbewoner ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aardbewoner ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aardbewoner ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aardbewoner ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aardbewoner ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aardbewoner ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aardbewoner ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: linux computers ,raspberry
Yes and this scare me "anti-piracy mechanism was crafted by engineers from google, microsoft, and netflix " are all WindowComputer only engineers.Only good working on there platforms,and streaming only,no saving allowed.We are a volatile world, no power no life.
aardbewoner is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-25-2017, 09:25 AM   #6
Alpha o
Addict
Alpha o ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alpha o ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alpha o ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alpha o ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alpha o ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alpha o ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alpha o ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alpha o ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alpha o ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alpha o ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alpha o ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Onyx Boox Darwin, inkBOOK Obsidian
Quote:
Originally Posted by aardbewoner View Post
Yes and this scare me "anti-piracy mechanism was crafted by engineers from google, microsoft, and netflix " are all WindowComputer only engineers.Only good working on there platforms,and streaming only,no saving allowed.We are a volatile world, no power no life.
And have you noticed that all of the above are now mostly advertising platforms? If it's going to make them or your ISP more money, then what do you think happens to your choice?

I can see all of the above, including Apple, demanding you use a certain browser if on a computer, or a certain digital receiver such as Roku, X-Box, Amazon Fire Stick and Apple whatever to view whichever theater type movie each one has garnered.

We are OTA, still have working VHS/DVD recorders, and don't do movies. (They bore us) I won't buy from Kobo or Amazon. The same books are available on both, and sometimes on independents. So why bother? I'll pay for the book, I don't mind that. I also won't pirate it.

At the same time, I dislike the fact that I can't buy from wherever. There are BBC documentaries I'd buy but can't.

I dislike MS and Google. I use each on my terms. You can root an Android phone. I use Linux for anything important, and my XP boxes run legacy Windows only software. They are off line.

I like my inkBOOK. I can ignore the mfg since it isn't screaming about being online and it DOESN'T HAVE GOOGLE!
Alpha o is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2017, 01:02 PM   #7
pwalker8
Grand Sorcerer
pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Pro, iPad mini, Kobo Aura, Amazon paperwhite, Sony PRS-T2
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Seems entirely reasonable to me. Content providers have a right to protect streamed content, and this won't prevent anyone from watching such streams.
I think I've seen this movie before. Providers want to force consumers to consume exactly according to the provider's business plan, without regard to how the consumer may wish to watch. It generally doesn't work out well for the providers.
pwalker8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2017, 01:17 PM   #8
Purple Lady
Grand Sorcerer
Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Huawei MediaPad M5, LG V30, Boyue T80S, Nexus 7 LTE, K3 3G, Fire HD8
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweetpea View Post
I never had a problem with DRM, as long as it doesn't stop me from accessing content I have a right to access on any device I'd like to access it on. Which is what DRM on ebooks does (you cannot read all formats on all devices and you cannot change format unless you remove the DRM).

So, I'm all for this DRM for HTML5 as HTML5 is (or should be!) supported on any device that is capable of showing video streams.
This will probably prevent me from viewing content I have a right to access. I rarely use my pc anymore since getting 8 inch tablets. I currently use Opera and UC browsers in desktop mode because I find mobile sites are usually pretty bad. I can't login to my Chase account anymore on these browsers because Chase considers them out of date.
Purple Lady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2017, 01:23 PM   #9
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pwalker8 View Post
I think I've seen this movie before. Providers want to force consumers to consume exactly according to the provider's business plan, without regard to how the consumer may wish to watch.
No, they - entirely reasonably, to my mind - want to prevent people from stealing streamed video. This will have no impact whatsoever on anyone watching it legally.
Old 03-25-2017, 01:43 PM   #10
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Purple Lady View Post
This will probably prevent me from viewing content I have a right to access. I rarely use my pc anymore since getting 8 inch tablets. I currently use Opera and UC browsers in desktop mode because I find mobile sites are usually pretty bad. I can't login to my Chase account anymore on these browsers because Chase considers them out of date.
Unfortunately, if you're not using an HTML5-compliant browser, there's going to be an awful lot of the web that'll be unavailable to you. Can you really not get a browser that supports HTML5 for whatever device it is that you're using?
Old 03-25-2017, 04:02 PM   #11
Phogg
PHD in Horribleness
Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Just a whole bunch. I guess I am a collector now.
Quote:
Or recording them if they are so determined.
If it can be decoded so it can be seen hardware can be made to access that decoded information and record it in an insecure format.

I think that someone or other has pointed this out on every encryption thread ever. And when every encryption scheme eventually fails the same group of people is always surprised.

Until the next scheme. They are always certain it will work this time.

Kind of like the people who truly believe their next offsite storage will remain accessable for decades even though it doesn't cost much if anything.

The more things change the more they stay the same.
Phogg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2017, 04:02 PM   #12
Purple Lady
Grand Sorcerer
Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Unfortunately, if you're not using an HTML5-compliant browser, there's going to be an awful lot of the web that'll be unavailable to you. Can you really not get a browser that supports HTML5 for whatever device it is that you're using?
I don't know if it's HTML-5 compliant or not. I am using an android device and Chrome doesn't have the accessibility options I need like text reflow when you make the fonts larger.
Old 03-25-2017, 04:08 PM   #13
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Is there an Android version of Firefox? I use the iOS version on my iPhone and it's pretty good.
Old 03-25-2017, 04:16 PM   #14
Purple Lady
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Is there an Android version of Firefox? I use the iOS version on my iPhone and it's pretty good.
Can it do text reflow? Last time I tried it it couldn't.
Old 03-25-2017, 04:27 PM   #15
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

You mean you want the text to reflow if you zoom in on the screen? I've never come across a browser that did that. It sounds as if it would be horribly distracting.