Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 03-22-2017, 05:23 PM   #1
Bjarne
Bjarne began at the beginning.

Device: none
Bug in dictionary function, wish: upgrade to using multiple dictionaries at one time

Hi folks,

I have just installed calibre a few days ago and are now making my first experiences with the reader.

As I am reading books in a foreign language (norwegian) I highly esteem the built-in customizable dictionary function. There are nevertheless some weaknesses or even a little bug with this function.

First of all it seems not to be possible to look up more than one single word - i.e. not a chain of words - by the built-in lookup-function. I have customized the dictionary (:= "http://ordbok.uib.no/perl/ordbok.cgi?OPP={word}&ant_bokmaal=5&ant_nynorsk=5& bokmaal=+&ordbok=bokmaal" ) and it works in general well except for the fact that not the whole of all marked words are transferred to the online dictionary but only the first word.

Example: marking the to words "except for" in the above sentence, rightclicking on the marked and highlighted text, choosing "lookup in dictionary" (CTRL + L) causes calibre not to insert "except for" but only "except" into my dictionary.

It does thereby not matter which dictionary I choose. The result remains the same. Surprisingly enough this behaviour does not occur when I chose the second option "CTRL + E". Then the whole content of the marked text is transferred to Goggle.

I have tried to replace the {word} variable by {text} in the questioning string which seems to be the one that is transferred by the CTRL+E command to Google.

But that does not work (error notification). Neither works to add several pluses and {word} in the lookup-string ({word}+{word}+{word}) This causes the function just to lookup the same word as many times as "+{word} is added (in the given example: "except+except+except").

Is there any way to correct this limitation? If it works to transfer several words at once to google this should be possible to a customized site too without any circumstances? Probably it is a bug that it does not work this way - ?

Yet another question: It would be marvellous if there was an option to use not just one but several dictionaries at the same time.

Very often one does not get a satisfying answer from just one dictionary but only by using different ones. It is quite a work to tab in words manually in those dics, so it would be cool if calibre could handle more than just one dic at a time. Of course the ultimate solution would be if calibre could import the results directly into its own window thus saving from having to change to the favorite webbrowser. But that would be a major work to do as I am quite aware of (programming a bit on my own, unfortunately not with python).

Many thanks for any answer that may come

Bjarne
Bjarne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2019, 05:13 AM   #2
heythereimkira
heythereimkira began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo H20 Edition 2
Hi, I can’t seem to grasp how to make a Norwegian Bokmål dictionary. Would you mind sharing yours? I would really appreciate it, I didn't think it would be so difficult and I'm having an hard time making one myself
heythereimkira is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert