Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 02-06-2017, 04:12 PM   #1
milannnnn
milannnnn began at the beginning.

Device: none
Which 8" eReader for epub and sci pdf?

Hello. Sorry for barging in like this, but I come here seeking your wisdom. I am looking for a e-ink reader for epubs and occasional scientific pdf reading. I tried a 6" Kindle shortly, but it was too small for my taste, and 9.7" might be a bit too much (in both size and money), so 8" seems like a good form factor.

So far I have picked out Kobo Aura One and PocketBook InkPad 2. KA1 has a better screen, sleeker design, but I am concerned with pdf performance. InkPad 2 on the other hand is a bit cheaper, has sd card and more app support, but it has a worse screen (pearl vs carta).

I know there is a KoReader for both of them, but I have not found much info about KA1 compatibility, so it would be nice if some KA1 owner could share his experience with KoReader and pdfs.

So, which one would you pick (KA1, InkPad 2 or something else)?

Thanks.
milannnnn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2017, 04:34 PM   #2
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Since you are wanting to read scientific PDF, forget an eInk Reader and go with a tablet. It's just going to work better with a tablet.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-06-2017, 04:50 PM   #3
milannnnn

I already have a Lenovo Tab2 A10, but using it for a longer time puts a strain to my eyes. If I need to look up for something short, I will use my tablet, but for longer reading I would prefer to have a somewhat pdf-capable e-ink, plus I'm already looking for a ereader for regular books.

But thanks for the advice
Old 02-06-2017, 04:57 PM   #4
mbonheur
mbonheur began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Aura ONE
I use K2pdfopt beforehand to read read Sci PDFs on my KA1. I think it works pretty well that way.
mbonheur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2017, 05:07 PM   #5
milannnnn

Did you have any chance to test out the KoReader?
Advert
Old 02-07-2017, 02:05 AM   #6
mbonheur
mbonheur began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Aura ONE
Yes, I do have the Koreader. It will improve the performance slightly, but you still have to use K2pdfopt beforehand in my opinion.
mbonheur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2017, 10:56 AM   #7
milannnnn

Ok. Thanks for the info

And is the KoReader stable enough and battery friendly for general use?
Old 02-07-2017, 04:03 PM   #8
Pajamaman
Wizard
Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Onyx Nova
onyx boox make an 8". Check on banggood. Its Android. ebookdroid works well with pdf in my experience.
Pajamaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2017, 08:18 AM   #9
ou4read
ou4read ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ou4read ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ou4read ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ou4read ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ou4read ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ou4read ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ou4read ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ou4read ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ou4read ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ou4read ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ou4read ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 3rd gen.
You mean i86ml plus? I think it running Android is a huge merit but sadly it's out of stock there. Maybe Onyx is planning *to release an improved version of it, maybe not.

Last edited by ou4read; 02-15-2017 at 08:41 PM.
ou4read is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2017, 10:57 AM   #10
Pajamaman
Wizard
Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Onyx Nova
Sent PM.

The Kobo Aura One is good value. But the i86 runs Android. I am reading a pdf in landscape on a 6" Boyue. It's okay. And it's a very poorly scanned document I'm reading. I think on a larger screen with better pdfs, it should be okay.

The trouble with the Kobo is that the software is so limited. It will run Koreader (I think). But with Android, well. One can do so much more with the hardware.
Pajamaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2017, 07:38 AM   #11
iBurger2
iBurger2 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 2nd g
I found this video fascinating:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rsJizVAMpDQ

I am very tempted to buy a Pocketbook Inkpad inspite of the higher 300 ppi resolution of the Kobo Aura one. The video seems to show that the Pocketbook Inkpad handles 2 column pdfs rather well. That's nice.
iBurger2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2017, 08:26 AM   #12
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
Quote:
Originally Posted by iBurger2 View Post
I found this video fascinating:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rsJizVAMpDQ

I am very tempted to buy a Pocketbook Inkpad inspite of the higher 300 ppi resolution of the Kobo Aura one. The video seems to show that the Pocketbook Inkpad handles 2 column pdfs rather well. That's nice.

Why would you think about buying it, when your DEVICE info shows you already own it?
Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2017, 03:15 AM   #13
iBurger2
iBurger2 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 2nd g
Updated my bio info.
iBurger2 is offline   Reply With Quote