Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 12-25-2016, 08:29 AM   #1
tobino
tobino began at the beginning.

Device: none
HD reader without frontlight?

Is there any HD reader (300ppi) that doesn't have a frontlight. I've ordered a Tolino Shine 2 HD which had some dust between the eInk and the front light panel. Got replacement which has even more dust particles.

I don't need a front light? Why should I pay for it and get all the disadvantages?
tobino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2016, 08:58 PM   #2
barryem
Wizard
barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite 4
I currently have 8 e-ink readers with front lights. Probably half a dozen of my neighbors have half a dozen more. I've yet to see one with dust between the light and the e-ink. That might be a problem with Tolino. I've never seen one of them. It's not a problem with Kindles, Nooks or Kobos.

I also don't need a front light. I read a lot of books before I got a reader with a front light. But it sure does make the reading better and now all of mine have front lights and I'm not likely to get any for myself in the future that don't. It's not that it's really needed. It's just really really useful.

I don't really need a computer, either. But I'm glad I have one. Wait, I have several.

It is true that front lights cost more and if you really don't care about one I can kind of see your point, but I doubt you'll find a really good screen without one.

Barry
barryem is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-26-2016, 02:49 AM   #3
Barbara1955
Non-Techy
Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Cell Phone & Amazon Fires & Kobo eReaders
I got a Kobo about a Month ago I was Surprised to find out they are Backlighted! The one I got was the Kobo Aura 6" 1st Edition. I don't think its 300ppi But on the doesn't seem to matter as you can change the Weight [How dark the letters are] the light are even No Cones!
Barbara1955 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2016, 05:48 AM   #4
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by tobino View Post
Is there any HD reader (300ppi) that doesn't have a frontlight. I've ordered a Tolino Shine 2 HD which had some dust between the eInk and the front light panel. Got replacement which has even more dust particles.

I don't need a front light? Why should I pay for it and get all the disadvantages?
Dust between the screen and light layer is not a common problem or more people would be posting about it.

To answer your question, no you cannot get a 300ddpi (or close to) without a front light. It's just unfortunate that the ones you got were not good. I would suggest trying a different brand. I'd not heard of such issues with Kobo or Kindle.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2016, 05:49 AM   #5
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katie1 View Post
I got a Kobo about a Month ago I was Surprised to find out they are Backlighted! The one I got was the Kobo Aura 6" 1st Edition. I don't think its 300ppi But on the doesn't seem to matter as you can change the Weight [How dark the letters are] the light are even No Cones!
No eInk Reader is back lit. The light is unable to shine through the screen. All eInk Readers with a light are front lit.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-26-2016, 10:08 AM   #6
barryem
Wizard
barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katie1 View Post
I have a Kobo Aura 6" 1st edition and it's 212ppi if I remember correctly. It was made well before the 300ppi e-ink screens became available. It has a front light. It looks different than other front lights because it's an early one and they just didn't look as good in those days. But it's very definitely a front light.

Personally I find it just fine for reading. When I put it next to my Kindle Voyage the difference in the quality of the light is obvious. When I'm reading it's just fine. I prefer the Amazoniness of the Voyage, its collection of features and easy access to where I buy my books and the Voyage's better dictionary so I use the Voyage more, but the Aura really is the nicer device for holding in my hand and reading a page of text. I use it a lot too.

Barry
barryem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2017, 11:00 AM   #7
haydnfan
Guru
haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW 4, Oasis 2
If you buy a Kindle Voyage or a Kobo Aura One they have closed designs that will not see dust trapped between the layers.

I haven't had that problem though with any of my Kindles, Kobos or Nooks.
haydnfan is offline   Reply With Quote