Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 11-29-2016, 02:56 AM   #1
iKaroliina
iKaroliina began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Aura HD
Need help from Aura One owners

Hello,

I have a favour to ask from Kobo Aura One owners. I'm trying to decide if I should buy one. I right now have Aura HD but it has a broken screen and small screen.

I want to know if you can read sheet music from Aura One screen without zooming in. I sing in a choir and most of us use a tablet so now I'm between buying this or a Samsung tablet.

If you could, please use this link to download an example and tell me how it looks and maybe include pictures. Or just tell me, are the text and notes readable without zooming in.
iKaroliina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2016, 08:02 AM   #2
hkckoo
Connoisseur
hkckoo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hkckoo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hkckoo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hkckoo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hkckoo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hkckoo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hkckoo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hkckoo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hkckoo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hkckoo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hkckoo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura H2O, Aura One
Frankly I thought this was a lost cause, that you wouldnt be able to read sheet music on KA1, but I was pleasantly surprised. I have bad eyes and it was still an easy job. the sheet music is easily readable, even without zooming (just used zoom to fit width of the screen).

however the refresh rate of pdf files on kobo devices is horrible, you wont be able to utilize this for sheet music properly. jumping pages will be a horrible experience for you. it takes literally seconds (sometimes 4-5) for the refresh to take place.

but there is a solution for this, you just have to abandon the native reading program and install a secondary one called "koreader" (its not that hard), it is much better suited for viewing and navigating pdf files. the refresh rate is multiple times better, so jumping pages would be an easy task.

the second reason koreader is better than nickel (native program) is shown on the next images I took. (sorry for the shitty pic quality, I have a shitty camera)

the first one is your file opened in nickel
https://i.imgur.com/qu1b4WZ.jpg?1
as you can see, there is quite a big empty space on both left and right side of the screen. this is because nickel is only able to zoom to fit page width and a lot of sheet music pages are empty on sides, so the screen space is not utilized properly like this.

the second one is your file opened in koreader
https://i.imgur.com/fSRI0ym.jpg?1
as you can see, the picture is a bit bigger, that is because koreader is able to zoom to fit content width, so it ignores white/empty space on the sides.

the third picture is just an example sheet music page that is not scanned and is opened in koreader, even easier to read.
https://i.imgur.com/XwIDWRa.jpg?1

I would say go for it, but you have to count on doing some tweaking to the software of your ereader. you can also change the forward/backward tap zones in koreader, so you can modify it to be able to move pages both ways using one hand. the device is also half the weight of traditional tablets, much better if you need to hold the thing in your hand constantly.

Last edited by hkckoo; 11-29-2016 at 08:12 AM.
hkckoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert