Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 09-22-2016, 04:18 PM   #1
Swarm
Swarm began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo HD
Vanishing Highlights & Annotations

Is there a way to recover annotations/highlights on an epub in Kobo HD? After reading a book the other day, all my highlights disappeared leaving just the bookmarks. I'm guessing it's a bug but is there a way to get them back, are they stored somewhere on the Kobo from where they might be retrieved? Thanks
Swarm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2016, 04:22 PM   #2
johnnyb
Cloud Reader
johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Kindle Scribe, iPad Pro 11
They might still be somewhere in the database, if you’re comfortable navigating SQL files, you might wanna give that a go. Maybe someone here can point you in the right direction...
johnnyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-22-2016, 11:03 PM   #3
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Swarm View Post
Is there a way to recover annotations/highlights on an epub in Kobo HD? After reading a book the other day, all my highlights disappeared leaving just the bookmarks. I'm guessing it's a bug but is there a way to get them back, are they stored somewhere on the Kobo from where they might be retrieved? Thanks
My first reaction is that they are gone, never to be seen again. But, there is a chance depending on exactly when they disappeared and maybe the book format.

The annotations/highlights/bookmarks are stored in the database on the device. But, they can also be stored in a file if you are reading an epub that is in the main storage of the device. If they are still in one of these two places, to restore the lost highlights, you will either need to do something with the files, or make changes in the database. If they can be recovered, you will need to either make changes to the database, or do some file copying.

Before doing anything else, turn of the WiFi. If a sync happens, either for the book or all books, then the database will probably be cleaned up and the database records removed. Also, don't reopen the book.

To try to restore them, I need some information:
- When did you notice they had disappeared? Before you closed the book? Or after reopening it?
- How do you know they are missing? The text is not highlighted, or they are missing from the annotations list for the book?
- What format and source is the book? For source, I mean sideloaded vs purchased from Kobo and downloaded.
- What firmware version? It's always a good idea to include this in problem reports.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2018, 10:42 AM   #4
Evil Overlord
Enthusiast
Evil Overlord has learned how to read e-booksEvil Overlord has learned how to read e-booksEvil Overlord has learned how to read e-booksEvil Overlord has learned how to read e-booksEvil Overlord has learned how to read e-booksEvil Overlord has learned how to read e-booksEvil Overlord has learned how to read e-booksEvil Overlord has learned how to read e-books

Device: Kindle 3
I have this problem on a recurring basis with a Kobo Aura One, using sideloaded EPUBs. It seems that as soon as I open a different book (or soon after), all the annotations in the first book disappear. This is beyond annoying - I spend a lot of time marking items to edit (as well as commenting on substance).

This is a relatively new Kobo, but I'm updating the firmware, since this is the only post I've found on the matter, which suggests it's not a common complaint.

Lo and behold, after the firmware update, all the annotations are back!

Last edited by Evil Overlord; 07-04-2018 at 10:46 AM.
Evil Overlord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2018, 11:28 AM   #5
RobertJSawyer
Guru
RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Clara 2E, and Clara HD; Kindle PaperWhite
Try this tool, which will extract all annotations from all books into one big file:

https://www.matteopezzi.com/how-to-e...-on-kobo-aura/

And try this tool, too, which allows extraction of annotations for individual titles into individual files:

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...82&postcount=8

If these tools can't find the annotations, they've been purged from the SQLITE database on the Kobo E-reader.
RobertJSawyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-04-2018, 07:51 PM   #6
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Evil Overlord View Post
I have this problem on a recurring basis with a Kobo Aura One, using sideloaded EPUBs. It seems that as soon as I open a different book (or soon after), all the annotations in the first book disappear. This is beyond annoying - I spend a lot of time marking items to edit (as well as commenting on substance).

This is a relatively new Kobo, but I'm updating the firmware, since this is the only post I've found on the matter, which suggests it's not a common complaint.

Lo and behold, after the firmware update, all the annotations are back!
My comments above still apply. A corrupt database could cause these symptoms. And the restart and reopening of the database during the restart might be what brought them back. As such, the firmware update was probably a coincidence, but if the upgrade was to 4.9.11311, there was a change in the database. That might have resulted in a reorg of the database. And that can fix problems in corrupt databases.

If it happens again, it is worthwhile investigating why and testing the database. Of course, I hope it doesn't happen again.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2018, 02:59 PM   #7
Evil Overlord
Enthusiast
Evil Overlord has learned how to read e-booksEvil Overlord has learned how to read e-booksEvil Overlord has learned how to read e-booksEvil Overlord has learned how to read e-booksEvil Overlord has learned how to read e-booksEvil Overlord has learned how to read e-booksEvil Overlord has learned how to read e-booksEvil Overlord has learned how to read e-books

Device: Kindle 3
Thanks to both. I'll be sure to test these tools if this happens again.
Evil Overlord is offline   Reply With Quote