Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 09-15-2016, 11:05 PM   #1
sealbeater
Banned
sealbeater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sealbeater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sealbeater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sealbeater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sealbeater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sealbeater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sealbeater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sealbeater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sealbeater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sealbeater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sealbeater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-505 : Onyx Boox Max : Sony PRS-900 : Onyx Kepler Pro
Calibre trash dir?

I was doing some filesystem maintenance and I noticed a dir that had a large number of files. Upon investigation it seemed to be full of epubs and other ebook formats. The dir is ~/.local/share/Trash. Does this dir have something to do with Calibre?
Old 09-15-2016, 11:20 PM   #2
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
That is your system recycle bin. When you delete books in calibre they are placed in the recycle bin. If whatever desktop env you are running does not expire the trash automatically, then you need to setup a cron job to do it for you, there are various scripts floating around that do that.
Advert
Old 09-15-2016, 11:42 PM   #3
sealbeater
Banned
sealbeater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sealbeater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sealbeater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sealbeater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sealbeater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sealbeater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sealbeater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sealbeater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sealbeater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sealbeater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sealbeater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
That is your system recycle bin. When you delete books in calibre they are placed in the recycle bin. If whatever desktop env you are running does not expire the trash automatically, then you need to setup a cron job to do it for you, there are various scripts floating around that do that.
Ok, fair enough but can we get that info posted somewhere? I don't run a desktop env so it was a surprise to me to find 335G in a hidden dir.
Old 09-18-2016, 09:47 AM   #4
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by sealbeater View Post
Ok, fair enough but can we get that info posted somewhere? I don't run a desktop env so it was a surprise to me to find 335G in a hidden dir.
335G, wow. Interesting, but this is an Operating System issue and learning curve, it has nothing to do with calibre.
Old 09-18-2016, 12:23 PM   #5
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
The Dir may be hidden, but there should have been a 'Trash' type icon to manage that.

Did the user throw the 'Trash' out with the Trash when cleaning their 'desktop'?
Advert
Old 09-18-2016, 05:16 PM   #6
sealbeater
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoctorOhh View Post
335G, wow. Interesting, but this is an Operating System issue and learning curve, it has nothing to do with calibre.

Umm actually it has everything to do with Calibre. How exactly do you think the files got there? It has nothing to do with the OS as I stated previously, I don't use a destop env.
Old 09-18-2016, 05:18 PM   #7
sealbeater
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post
The Dir may be hidden, but there should have been a 'Trash' type icon to manage that.

Did the user throw the 'Trash' out with the Trash when cleaning their 'desktop'?
As I said, I don't use a desktop environment, just a window manager, so I have no trash icon. The only reason those files are there is because calibre put them there instead of removing them.

I have fixed this by sym-linking the trash dir to /dev/null.
Old 09-18-2016, 10:56 PM   #8
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Quote:
Umm actually it has everything to do with Calibre. How exactly do you think the files got there? It has nothing to do with the OS as I stated previously, I don't use a destop env.
Whether you use a desktop environment or not your OS is putting files that are deleted in the manner calibre deletes them in that directory. Calibre is simply deleting the files and your OS is deciding what to do with them.

Quote:
I have fixed this by sym-linking the trash dir to /dev/null.
I'm glad you came up with a solution.
Old 09-19-2016, 12:03 AM   #9
sealbeater
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoctorOhh View Post
Whether you use a desktop environment or not your OS is putting files that are deleted in the manner calibre deletes them in that directory. Calibre is simply deleting the files and your OS is deciding what to do with them.

I'm glad you came up with a solution.
What exactly does my OS have to do with it? Calibre is the application that is moving the files to that dir. If it were operating the way my system is setup, it would be rm -rf $ebook, not mv $ebook ~/.local/share/Trash. I have absolutely no need or desire for, and indeed, hold a certain amount of contempt for, the concept of a "recycle bin". When I delete or remove a file within an application, I expect that application to remove files, not move files to a hidden dir that a users X environment may or may not be aware of. It's fine, not a problem, was a bit of a surprise to find it and it's been dealt with but please don't speak of things you know nothing about.

I wonder if there is a setting somewhere to just straight remove files or if everyone who uses calibre and doesn't use KDE/GNOME/$DESKTOPENV should check their dot files.
Old 09-19-2016, 12:19 AM   #10
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Your system has no way to signal to applications that its recycle bin does not exist/is non-functional. Every other operating system has a well-defined API for recycle bins that the user can configure however they like, including disabling that functionality, centrally. In typical Linux fashion, all there is is a half digested spec for a few folder locations, that people like you feel free to ignore and then blame other people for when your expectations break.

It is not calibre's job to somehow read your mind and figure out what you want. You want to break the commonly used paradigm of the recycle bin, then it is up to you to break it in a way that does not break software that depends on it. For instance, I too dont use a desktop environment, but I long ago setup a script to deal with the recycle bin in a fashion I like. I certainly did not whine that it is every application maintainers job to provide a setting to cater for my special snowflake setup.
Old 09-19-2016, 12:34 AM   #11
sealbeater
Banned

Quote:
Your system has no way to signal to applications that its recycle bin does not exist/is non-functional. Every other operating system has a well-defined API for recycle bins that the user can configure however they like, including disabling that functionality, centrally. In typical Linux fashion, all there is is a half digested spec for a few folder locations, that people like you feel free to ignore and then blame other people for when your expectations break.

It is not calibre's job to somehow read your mind and figure out what you want. You want to break the commonly used paradigm of the recycle bin, then it is up to you to break it in a way that does not break software that depends on it. For instance, I too dont use a desktop environment, but I long ago setup a script to deal with the recycle bin in a fashion I like. I certainly did not whine that it is every application maintainers job to provide a setting to cater for my special snowflake setup.
First off, stop being so defensive. I realize that this is your lovechild of an app and I'm not complaining, it's pretty good but the fact remains that as far as I can tell, there is nothing in the documentation that suggests that removing files actually results in those files being moved to a different directory.

My expectation is that deleted files are in fact, deleted. My system is not a special snowflake, it is a regular linux system running a regular window manager. Hardly an outside use case.

As for it being up to me to deal with software expectations without breakage, I have done so. If you would read my initial reply to you, all I ask is a heads up. I expect everyone who is capable of running *nix to be able to deal with these developer decisions, but something in the way of documentation would be nice.

Once again, in closing, I'm not whining about your software, I pointed out a very common use case for linux and it could have been left there. I don't appreciate being attacked for asking a question and defending myself against erroneous statements.

You said: For instance, I too dont use a desktop environment, but I long ago setup a script to deal with the recycle bin in a fashion I like.

That's great for you. Tell me, how did you learn about that recycle bin? Did the fact that you wrote the app inform your understanding or did you stumble across it as a surprise?

Once again, Mr Sensitive, I'm not attacking your app. I'm asking for a heads up for people who aren't using desktop envs, which appears to be what your app is aimed for.
Old 09-19-2016, 12:59 AM   #12
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

Quote:
My expectation is that deleted files are in fact, deleted. My system is not a special snowflake, it is a regular linux system running a regular window manager. Hardly an outside use case.
Cry me a river. Linux users are under 2% of all desktop OS users, and linux users than run window managers rather than desktop environments are under 2% of all linux users. Do you need me to do the math for you?

Quote:
As for it being up to me to deal with software expectations without breakage, I have done so. If you would read my initial reply to you, all I ask is a heads up. I expect everyone who is capable of running *nix to be able to deal with these developer decisions, but something in the way of documentation would be nice.
SO you want me to waste my time documenting what is standard behavior everywhere except in your special snowflake land?

Quote:
Once again, in closing, I'm not whining about your software,
Yes, you are. Go back and read your posts.

Quote:
I pointed out a very common use case for linux and it could have been left there.
Once again, with the common case. The universe is not centered on you.

Quote:
I don't appreciate being attacked for asking a question and defending myself against erroneous statements.
You get what you deserve.

Quote:
That's great for you. Tell me, how did you learn about that recycle bin? Did the fact that you wrote the app inform your understanding or did you stumble across it as a surprise?
When I decided to setup my own OS environment, I took it upon myself to learn about and assume responsibility for, all aspects of it. Something you would greatly benefit from.

Quote:
Once again, Mr Sensitive
Pot, meet kettle.

Last edited by kovidgoyal; 09-19-2016 at 01:01 AM.
Old 09-19-2016, 01:12 AM   #13
sealbeater
Banned

Quote:
Cry me a river. Linux users are under 2% of all desktop OS users, and linux users than run window managers rather than desktop environments are under 2% of all linux users. Do you need me to do the math for you?
Nobody is crying boy. Really. Do it or don't, I really couldn't care less, the problem has been long solved as far as I'm concerned. Thanks for confirming it's the app moving the files, not the OS by the way.

Quote:
SO you want me to waste my time documenting what is standard behavior everywhere except in your special snowflake land?
It's a suggestion that may help your users. I really, once again, couldn't give a hair off of your grandmother's chin one way or the other about it.

Quote:
Yes, you are. Go back and read your posts.

Once again, common case. TRhe universe is not centered on you.
Never said it was man. Please quote whatever it is you think I said. As far as I know, people using window manager is a common case. You do so yourself. I asked a question, you replied, I answered and the thread was dead until some yahoos started chiming in trying to say calibre isn't the cause of the files being moved which is rediculous, as you've confirmed. I replied to them and I guess they are your buddies or something cause you decided to jump in. I don't care what you do in regards to your app. Thanks for answering my question regarding the recycle bin and we can move on, I'm not sure what all this is about.

Quote:
You get what you deserve.
Umm, what? Ok. I'll go with that, sure.

Quote:
When I decided to setup my own OS environment, I took it upon myself to learn about and assume responsibility for, all aspects of it. Something you would greatly benefit from.
You don't know what you are talking about. It's so bad, its laughable.

If I didn't do and was competent in all of the above, why would I have even been in a position to find and ask about your hidden dir in the first place?

Thanks for moving deleted files into hidden directories with no notification to the users. It's fine. Whatever other weirdness your app may do will, of course, be found and dealt with and hopefully forums like this will continue to serve as information for those use cases that need it.

Quote:
Pot, meet kettle.
You do realize that quote deals with projection, not reflection, don't you?

Last edited by sealbeater; 09-19-2016 at 01:16 AM.
Old 09-19-2016, 01:20 AM   #14
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

> /dev/null
Old 09-19-2016, 01:22 AM   #15
sealbeater
Banned

Quote:
> /dev/null
Exactly.

Last edited by sealbeater; 09-19-2016 at 01:24 AM.
Closed Thread