Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers

Notices

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 08-15-2016, 03:14 AM   #1
shadow_wings
Member
shadow_wings began at the beginning.
 
Posts: 10
Karma: 10
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Philippines
Device: Inkbook 8"
Exclamation Redfox Wizlib 5" problem

Hi. I am currently using a Redfox Wizlib 5" and I was surprised when I opened it yesterday. I am not usually using this as I use my phone most of the time to read ebooks. But anyway, half of the screen seems to be malfunctioning. Can this be repaired or is it better just to buy a new one. Thanks!

Last edited by shadow_wings; 08-15-2016 at 03:17 AM. Reason: pic doesn't show
shadow_wings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2016, 08:14 AM   #2
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh
Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.
 
Nate the great's Avatar
 
Posts: 12,334
Karma: 23456789
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: DC Metro area
Device: Shake a stick plus 1
Try rebooting it.

This looks like a hardware error (cable / controller chip). You might be able to fix it by opening the case but this type of problem usually means the device is goin gback to the manufacturer.

P.S. Redfox? Is that the brand out of the Philippines?
Nate the great is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-15-2016, 11:13 AM   #3
shadow_wings
Member
shadow_wings began at the beginning.
 
Posts: 10
Karma: 10
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Philippines
Device: Inkbook 8"
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nate the great View Post
Try rebooting it.

This looks like a hardware error (cable / controller chip). You might be able to fix it by opening the case but this type of problem usually means the device is goin gback to the manufacturer.

P.S. Redfox? Is that the brand out of the Philippines?
Oh. I think I'll just find a new ereader, considering this model was released 5 years ago and I don't think Redfox will be able to repair this since they're not selling ereaders anymore. Sad though because I thought this will last long. Just bought this last year at Lazada for about 30 usd. Thanks for the advice though!

And yes Redfox is a Philippine brand.
shadow_wings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2016, 11:37 AM   #4
shadow_wings
Member
shadow_wings began at the beginning.
 
Posts: 10
Karma: 10
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Philippines
Device: Inkbook 8"
Just saw your post at The Digital Reader (I follow your page) and just to answer some of your questions: Yes it was very expensive at the time it was launched 5 or 6 years ago. ( http://www.yugatech.com/toys-gadgets...-ebook-reader/) I was able to buy it at Lazada for 1,500 PHP last year as it was on a sale, probably Redfox wants to sell all remaining stocks. After a day it went out of stock though and luckily I was able to buy one. I am not sure if anyone can buy a brand new one in any store here in the Philippines but there are second hand ones on OLX.ph.

It has a 5 inch eink screen and it's not that good, an FM radio, a few games and a calendar. It can also play mp3 files though the earphone slot is smaller than a regular 3.5mm. It can accept up to 32gb of micro sd card.

It is a rebranded Chinese ereader, the Sibrary, don't know what the model though.
shadow_wings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2016, 12:25 PM   #5
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh
Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.
 
Nate the great's Avatar
 
Posts: 12,334
Karma: 23456789
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: DC Metro area
Device: Shake a stick plus 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by shadow_wings View Post
Just saw your post at The Digital Reader (I follow your page) and just to answer some of your questions: Yes it was very expensive at the time it was launched 5 or 6 years ago. ( http://www.yugatech.com/toys-gadgets...-ebook-reader/) I was able to buy it at Lazada for 1,500 PHP last year as it was on a sale, probably Redfox wants to sell all remaining stocks. After a day it went out of stock though and luckily I was able to buy one. I am not sure if anyone can buy a brand new one in any store here in the Philippines but there are second hand ones on OLX.ph.

It has a 5 inch eink screen and it's not that good, an FM radio, a few games and a calendar. It can also play mp3 files though the earphone slot is smaller than a regular 3.5mm. It can accept up to 32gb of micro sd card.

It is a rebranded Chinese ereader, the Sibrary, don't know what the model though.
Thanks!
Nate the great is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-17-2016, 01:18 AM   #6
amgoforth
Groupie
amgoforth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amgoforth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amgoforth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amgoforth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amgoforth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amgoforth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amgoforth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amgoforth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amgoforth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amgoforth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amgoforth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.
 
amgoforth's Avatar
 
Posts: 189
Karma: 1005869
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Leyte, Philippines
Device: Kndle Voyage. Android phones, and Android tablets.
shadow_wings, I also live in the Philippines. My original Jetbook did the same thing about a year and a half ago. All my other eink reader died also. It started with the screens graying out, then they just died. I had sony's prs 505, and 600. Kindle original and kindle DX, Irex, Iliad and Digital reader, BOOKEEN: Cybook and others. Now I read on my Android phone and tablets, but I still want an ereader, because I am going back to work with KBR in the middle east, but I am afraid it will not last long.
amgoforth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2016, 10:42 AM   #7
shadow_wings
Member
shadow_wings began at the beginning.
 
Posts: 10
Karma: 10
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Philippines
Device: Inkbook 8"
Quote:
Originally Posted by amgoforth View Post
shadow_wings, I also live in the Philippines. My original Jetbook did the same thing about a year and a half ago. All my other eink reader died also. It started with the screens graying out, then they just died. I had sony's prs 505, and 600. Kindle original and kindle DX, Irex, Iliad and Digital reader, BOOKEEN: Cybook and others. Now I read on my Android phone and tablets, but I still want an ereader, because I am going back to work with KBR in the middle east, but I am afraid it will not last long.
Seems like ereaders don't really last long compared to tablets. Sad to hear about your devices. This is my first ereader however. I do hope one company could make a quality ereader with s large screen so I can read books and manga as well. Anyways, ereaders are very scarce here in PH.
shadow_wings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2016, 11:19 AM   #8
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.
 
JSWolf's Avatar
 
Posts: 60,367
Karma: 58876985
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Roslindale, Massachusetts
Device: Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, iPad 4, iPhone SE 2020, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by shadow_wings View Post
Seems like ereaders don't really last long compared to tablets. Sad to hear about your devices. This is my first ereader however. I do hope one company could make a quality ereader with s large screen so I can read books and manga as well. Anyways, ereaders are very scarce here in PH.
I would not say that a Reader does not last as long as a tablet. I have multiple Readers that are still working. My 650 needs a new battery, but otherwise, it works as it should. I have a Sony Reader PRS-650, Sony Reader PRS-T1, nook STR, and Kobo Aura H2O.

As for a larger screen Reader, Kobo just announced the Kobo Aura One with a 7.8" screen. How you go about getting one sent to the Philippines, that I cannot say.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2016, 03:28 AM   #9
shadow_wings
Member
shadow_wings began at the beginning.
 
Posts: 10
Karma: 10
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Philippines
Device: Inkbook 8"
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
I would not say that a Reader does not last as long as a tablet. I have multiple Readers that are still working. My 650 needs a new battery, but otherwise, it works as it should. I have a Sony Reader PRS-650, Sony Reader PRS-T1, nook STR, and Kobo Aura H2O.

As for a larger screen Reader, Kobo just announced the Kobo Aura One with a 7.8" screen. How you go about getting one sent to the Philippines, that I cannot say.
Well maybe it depends on the quality of the ereader itself.
I'm not sure if we'll be getting the Kobo Aura One here in the PH but they do have a presence here (they have partnered with a large booktore here) but unfortunately they are a bit expensive. For me, I'm not sure if I'll be getting the Aura One. The 8gb memory with no expansion is a large dealbreaker for me. 16gb could have been better. Just my opinion.
shadow_wings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2016, 03:44 PM   #10
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.
 
DaleDe's Avatar
 
Posts: 11,416
Karma: 13000000
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Grass Valley, CA
Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
Compared to the competition which is often 4GB with no expansion this one is huge. Of course many people have opened up their Kobo and given it a bigger card.

Dale
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Problem "installing" "Kindle library extractor" dhdurgee Kindle Developer's Corner 7 11-24-2012 08:09 PM
"A Problem Occurred" on the "Shop" page. swallman Nook Color & Nook Tablet 1 12-25-2010 01:34 PM
Sudden Problem with "The" and "A" Titles Otter Calibre 13 09-05-2010 09:32 PM


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 07:14 PM.


MobileRead.com is a privately owned, operated and funded community.