Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 08-04-2016, 12:08 PM   #1
fjtorres
Grand Sorcerer
fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: T100TA,PW2,PRS-T1,KT,FireHD 8.9,K2, PB360,BeBook One,Axim51v,TC1000
Target brings back Kindles and Fire Tablets

From CNET: http://www.cnet.com/news/target-brin...gital-shelves/

Quote:

Four years ago, Target threw Amazon's gadgets out of its stores amid heightened competition between the retailers.

Now, the big-box chain has reversed course, bringing back Amazon's Fire tablets, Fire TV devices and Kindle e-readers to its website, with plans to sell the gadgets in stores by October, according to a report from Bloomberg. The Amazon Echo smart speaker, though, doesn't appear on Target.com.
From Bloomberg: http://www.bloomberg.com/news/articl...ars-after-rift

Quote:
A lot has changed for Target and Amazon in the last four years. Target has a new chief executive officer, Brian Cornell, who has refocused the company on its kids, beauty, fashion and baby sections while also introducing new exclusive brands.

The retailer’s sales have stabilized and it has revamped its online strategy, expanding its selection and getting more competitive on price. Based on customers’ feedback, the company expects Amazon’s devices to drive traffic to its stores and thinks they could give its lackluster electronics business a boost.

In the past year alone, Amazon has signed up 19 million people for its $99-a-year Prime service, and analysts estimate that about half of U.S. households have a Prime member. That ubiquity means there’s less risk today than four years ago that a Kindle device sold in Target will convert someone into a loyal Amazon shopper.
It's just business.
fjtorres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2016, 12:32 PM   #2
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
Interesting....
kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-04-2016, 06:40 PM   #3
cfrizz
Wizard
cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung 54A, Kobo Libra H2O, Samsung S6 Lite
What converts people into loyal Amazon customers, is when you look all over in B&M stores and can't find what you are looking for. But 2 seconds after you type in said item on Amazon it pops up at a price that you are willing to buy it, then bingo, you have a loyal Amazon customer!

That is what is happening, store owners will only stock what sells, but if they don't have what you want, then that store is useless to you. If you don't have to leave your house, and find exactly what you are looking for, possibly at a better price, and have it delivered to your door....Priceless.
cfrizz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2016, 09:58 PM   #4
crich70
Grand Sorcerer
crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, Kindle Paperwhite, Calibre, and Mobipocket for Pc (netbook)
Quote:
Originally Posted by cfrizz View Post
What converts people into loyal Amazon customers, is when you look all over in B&M stores and can't find what you are looking for. But 2 seconds after you type in said item on Amazon it pops up at a price that you are willing to buy it, then bingo, you have a loyal Amazon customer!

That is what is happening, store owners will only stock what sells, but if they don't have what you want, then that store is useless to you. If you don't have to leave your house, and find exactly what you are looking for, possibly at a better price, and have it delivered to your door....Priceless.
And good customer service when there is a problem also plays into things I think. Even if a store has things that the customer wants and a good price they won't shop at a place where they aren't treated well.
crich70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2016, 09:59 PM   #5
kennyc
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Yep, that's why I don't shop at Best Buy.
Advert
Old 08-04-2016, 10:24 PM   #6
Cinisajoy
Just a Yellow Smiley.
Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K4, K5, fire, kobo, galaxy
Quote:
Originally Posted by kennyc View Post
Yep, that's why I don't shop at Best Buy.
The last time I went to Best Buy, I wound up calling the manager 2 days later to say I would like to thank you for saving me $200. When he asked why, I said we were going to buy a surround sound but since all the blue shirts ignored us we went elsewhere.
Cinisajoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2016, 01:13 AM   #7
crich70
Grand Sorcerer
crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, Kindle Paperwhite, Calibre, and Mobipocket for Pc (netbook)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cinisajoy View Post
The last time I went to Best Buy, I wound up calling the manager 2 days later to say I would like to thank you for saving me $200. When he asked why, I said we were going to buy a surround sound but since all the blue shirts ignored us we went elsewhere.
I don't blame you. The customer isn't a annoyance for well trained store staff. They are the reason why the store staff is there. Our purchases from a given store pays for their salaries.
crich70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2016, 02:01 AM   #8
Froide
Wizard
Froide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Froide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Froide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Froide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Froide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Froide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Froide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Froide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Froide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Froide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Froide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Galaxy and Windows devices. RIP: Palm & Nook devices.
Wowza! I've had the opposite experience at the Best Buys I've frequented (mainly in NY and FL): can't beat their excellent customer service, tech-savvy salespeople, and price matching.
Froide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2016, 08:28 AM   #9
Apache
Readaholic
Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Surface Pro 6 / Galaxy Tab A 8"
Best Buy, Home Depot and Lowes: when I neither want nor need help they are constantly asking if they can help me. When I need help I can not seem to find an employee available.
A few years ago my niece bought a laptop from Best Buy. She lives out in the middle of nowhere and did not have cable or DSL available. The laptop did not have a dial up port and she wanted to exchange it for one that did. The manager refused to accommodate her because she had opened the box.
Apache
Apache is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2016, 09:05 AM   #10
Gardenman
Wizard
Gardenman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gardenman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gardenman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gardenman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gardenman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gardenman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gardenman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gardenman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gardenman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gardenman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gardenman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony prs-350,Nook HD+, Kindle 2nd gen, kindle keyboard
Quote:
Originally Posted by Apache View Post
Best Buy, Home Depot and Lowes: when I neither want nor need help they are constantly asking if they can help me. When I need help I can not seem to find an employee available.Apache

Same here
Gardenman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2016, 01:04 PM   #11
Kolja
Zealot
Kolja ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolja ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolja ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolja ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolja ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolja ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolja ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolja ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolja ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolja ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolja ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by cfrizz View Post

Unfortunately for Brick and Mortar stores this is all very true. I used to prefer shopping at stores to see exactly what I was getting, but it saves a lot of wasted time and effort to just go online and order.
Kolja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2016, 01:09 PM   #12
Kolja
Zealot
Kolja ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolja ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolja ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolja ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolja ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolja ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolja ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolja ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolja ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolja ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolja ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Froide View Post
Wowza! I've had the opposite experience at the Best Buys I've frequented (mainly in NY and FL): can't beat their excellent customer service, tech-savvy salespeople, and price matching.
I'm in Pittsburgh PA and I've always had good service at Best Buy stores also. I recently purchased 2 Oasis devices there with faulty screens and returned both with no hassle. I'm not in the store more than a minute when a sales person approaches me and offers help.
Kolja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2016, 09:46 PM   #13
barryem
Wizard
barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite 4
This thing about not allowing returns after the box has been opened was kind of pushed on stores in the 80's and 90's by customers who would buy a computer on Friday for a party and return it on Monday for a refund. I had a friend who managed a Computer City store in those days and, like Best Buy and all the rest, they accepted returns freely. He finally decided to change that at his store after a 3 day weekend because of the large number of returns the day following the holiday. I forget the number now but it was very large.

He'd been talking about having to do that for some time. At that point most other stores had already stopped taking returns or charging a large restocking fee.

People also commonly bought laptops in those days to use on a business trip and then returned them after the trip. I was working for a mutual fund company at the time and quite a few people working there did that regularly.

In the early days of computer stores returns were accepted gracefully by most of them with no questions asked. The idea was that you needed a little time to see if it suited your needs. Customers put an end to that.

Barry
barryem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2016, 09:49 PM   #14
kennyc

Quote:
Originally Posted by barryem View Post
This thing about not allowing returns after the box has been opened was kind of pushed on stores in the 80's and 90's by customers who would buy a computer on Friday for a party and return it on Monday for a refund. I had a friend who managed a Computer City store in those days and, like Best Buy and all the rest, they accepted returns freely. He finally decided to change that at his store after a 3 day weekend because of the large number of returns the day following the holiday. I forget the number now but it was very large.

He'd been talking about having to do that for some time. At that point most other stores had already stopped taking returns or charging a large restocking fee.

People also commonly bought laptops in those days to use on a business trip and then returned them after the trip. I was working for a mutual fund company at the time and quite a few people working there did that regularly.

In the early days of computer stores returns were accepted gracefully by most of them with no questions asked. The idea was that you needed a little time to see if it suited your needs. Customers put an end to that.

Barry
Yep people are a$$40les.
Old 08-05-2016, 10:30 PM   #15
Apache
Readaholic
Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Surface Pro 6 / Galaxy Tab A 8"
Yes, but she wanted to exchange it for one with dialup.

I also understand about people buying something to use or wear non the weekend. I own a jewelry store.
Apache is offline   Reply With Quote