Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Library Management

Notices

Old 07-31-2016, 07:19 AM   #1
petzi
Connoisseur
petzi is a rising star in the heavenspetzi is a rising star in the heavenspetzi is a rising star in the heavenspetzi is a rising star in the heavenspetzi is a rising star in the heavenspetzi is a rising star in the heavenspetzi is a rising star in the heavenspetzi is a rising star in the heavenspetzi is a rising star in the heavenspetzi is a rising star in the heavenspetzi is a rising star in the heavens

Device: Kindle Oasis, Amazon Fire 7 Tablet, iPad mini 4, iPhone XS
Question Managing metadata in book details window?

It is possible under "Preferences->Look & Feel->Book details" to exclude some metadata in the "Show/Hide Book Details" view (shortcut: Shift-Alt-D). But the window "Show book details" (shortcut: I) does not reflect these changes. This seems not logical for me. Is there a reason for this different behaviour or do I miss something?
petzi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2016, 08:19 AM   #2
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
That setting applies only to the Book Details pane, not the Book Details window. The Book Details window will always show you all metadata (because there has to be something which does?) -- however, you can move the less interesting metadata columns to the bottom.
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-31-2016, 05:47 PM   #3
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by eschwartz View Post
That setting applies only to the Book Details pane, not the Book Details window.
Given the default keyboard shortcut is 'I' -- I prefer to think of what you call the Book Details window as the Book Information window.

BR
BetterRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2016, 03:34 PM   #4
petzi
Connoisseur
petzi is a rising star in the heavenspetzi is a rising star in the heavenspetzi is a rising star in the heavenspetzi is a rising star in the heavenspetzi is a rising star in the heavenspetzi is a rising star in the heavenspetzi is a rising star in the heavenspetzi is a rising star in the heavenspetzi is a rising star in the heavenspetzi is a rising star in the heavenspetzi is a rising star in the heavens

@eschwarz: Thanks for the answer.
Quote:
however, you can move the less interesting metadata columns to the bottom.
Ahh, that would help me! But how to do? Drag and Drop or moving the columns in the "Add your own columns"-window to the bottom don't work for me.

@BetterRed:
Quote:
Given the default keyboard shortcut is 'I' -- I prefer to think of what you call the Book Details window as the Book Information window.
Yes, at first I thought so too! But then I noticed that a double click into the Book Details pane opens exactly this window. So it is the same information just in another UI - it should therefore also display the same information. Or the other way: You just open another window with shortcut 'I' that always displays all the information available – but then it should have another name, maybe the one you suggested. This would also solve that "there has to be something which does" display all data. --- Sorry, I find the actual situation and explanation still not logical. To double click on a pane in order to open a window with the same name but a different set of information…

Anyway: I would be happy if I could move the less interesting metadata columns to the bottom. My goal is to scroll through my library with this window open in order to check the covers and some metadata of my books. But at the moment the most interesting data do not fit into the screen view of this window.
Old 08-01-2016, 06:22 PM   #5
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by petzi View Post
Anyway: I would be happy if I could move the less interesting metadata columns to the bottom.
You can, see the Preferences->Look and Feel->Book Details tab.

The sequence of items in Preferences->Add your own columns controls the Book List.

BTW - the View Manager optional plugin provides support for library specific Book List layouts where you can select which columns and in what order, and how the books are to be sorted.

BR

Last edited by BetterRed; 08-01-2016 at 06:25 PM. Reason: clarity
BetterRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-02-2016, 12:21 PM   #6
petzi
Connoisseur

Ah, I did not see the possibility to control the sequence of the custom columns with the arrows on the right side.

Sorry for the inconvenience!