Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 08-09-2008, 09:29 AM   #1
Taantric
Taantric began at the beginning.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-505, Nook Color
Newb questions

Hi, long time lurker first time poster. The built-in utility to extract/create PDF metadata from the filename is pretty cool.

However when I am trying to import a large number of ebooks, some might have the structure "Author - Title", while others will have "Author - Title - Series", or "Title (By Author) - Series". Is there a RegEx that I can use which help in this situation? I tried going through the RE documention but just can't get my head around it.

Also I have noticed that Calibre does not seem to save the metadata, it extracts using the above, to the PDF file's properties (ie if I save ebook from the library to the harddisk and then open using Acrobat, look at the File->Properties, there is no metadata like Title or Author, even though it shows those in Calibre).

Lastly I uploaded about 450mb of PDF's to the SD card via Calibre, then verified that the cache.xml on the SD had been updated with the metadata. Disconnected the device and then it was nearly 20mins before I could use it. Is that normal?
Taantric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2008, 09:36 AM   #2
Taantric

Another thing, I just noticed that the PDF files which were "Sent to Device" SD do not have any metadata in them. They are all showing "unknown" in the Author column. Any suggestions?

EDIT: just browsed to the SDCard\Sony Reader\database\cache.xml and it does not have any of the metadata which I can see for each file in the Library??

Last edited by Taantric; 08-09-2008 at 09:50 AM.
Advert
Old 08-09-2008, 02:03 PM   #3
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
See the advanced section of the config dialog. calibre doesn't write metadata to PDF files.

Odd calibre should be writing the metadat to cache.xml. Sometimes the reader decides to re-write cache.xml from the metadata in the file. This usually happens when the dates on the reader are wrong.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2008, 11:42 PM   #4
Taantric

Thanks for the reply Kovid. back to square one ...no idea how I am going to manage 8GB of ebooks in PDF format.

Can I request a feature for the next release of Calibre:

When a user chooses the "add books recursively" function, the software auto-generates 'tags' based on the directory & subdirectory name,i.e. if my dir structure on the HDD is like

Genre-Sci-Fi\Alan Dean Foster\ebook1.pdf (tags added 'genre-sci-fi', 'Alan Dean Foster')
Genre-Politics\Noam Choamsky\ebook2.pdf (tags added 'genre-politics', 'Noam Choamsky')
etc etc

Most of us manage our ebooks libraries using dir/folder names to make drilling down to a particular genre, author etc easy and a feature like above would make adding books to a device ,with a flat file structure, a breeze. This way the "collections" feature on the sony reader becomes the file explorer.
Old 08-10-2008, 03:54 AM   #5
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
Open a ticket, but frankly I've got too many higher priority features on my plate right now.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-10-2008, 03:58 AM   #6
Taantric

ok will do. Cheers