Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 06-24-2016, 10:01 AM   #1
juki
juki began at the beginning.

Device: M92
212dpi vs 300dpi

Dear all, now that the new Tolino Vision 3HD is available, there are pretty significant discounts on the older Vision 2.

The only difference between the two devices afaik is the screen resolution, namely 212dpi vs 300dpi, but right now the price difference is about 90€ vs 160€ (or 100$ vs 177$).
I have seen macros of the two screens and the difference is noticeable, but I am not so sure if it is during normal use.

I plan to use the reader only for text-based books (no comics, no pdf), my question is: is the resolution improvement worth the price?
For those who are not familiar with Tolino I think that the resolution difference is the same between Paperwhite 2 and Paperwhite 3.

Thanks!
juki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2016, 10:28 AM   #2
Tarana
Wizard
Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PWSE, Voyage, K3, HDX, KBasic 7 & 8, Nook Glo3, Echos, Nanos
I use a kindle keyboard (166 dpi) and a Voyage (300) and a Nook glow (212 dpi). All 3 are easy to read when the light is not on. Higher dpi becomes preferred when you add the light. In that case, Voyage has it over nook. I've never used Tolina but I'm sure similar issues would apply.

Last edited by Tarana; 06-24-2016 at 06:19 PM.
Tarana is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-24-2016, 10:30 AM   #3
church mouse
Evangelist
church mouse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.church mouse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.church mouse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.church mouse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.church mouse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.church mouse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.church mouse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.church mouse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.church mouse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.church mouse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.church mouse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Kobo Clara HD, Kobo H2O, Boox Poke 2
I have both a Kobo Glo (213 dpi) and an H2O (265 dpi) and I find the difference between the two is quite noticeable in terms of sharpness. Mind you, it doesn't stop me using my Glo, I am just conscious of a slightly softer image when I switch to it.
church mouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2016, 01:05 AM   #4
barryem
Wizard
barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite 4
I have all three models of the Paperwhite and a Voyage, so that's 2 devices with 212 dpi and 2 with 300 dpi. I can't tell the difference. I do have 20/20 vision with my glasses on.

I can see differences in color but not in sharpness. I have no doubt that others can see the difference but I can't and I do doubt that it's a big enough difference to matter all that much. A lot of differences when comparing have no effect at all while reading.

Barry
barryem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2016, 02:51 AM   #5
DuckieTigger
Wizard
DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3, Oasis 2, PW3, PW1, KT
Quote:
Originally Posted by barryem View Post
I have all three models of the Paperwhite and a Voyage, so that's 2 devices with 212 dpi and 2 with 300 dpi. I can't tell the difference. I do have 20/20 vision with my glasses on.

I can see differences in color but not in sharpness. I have no doubt that others can see the difference but I can't and I do doubt that it's a big enough difference to matter all that much. A lot of differences when comparing have no effect at all while reading.

Barry
It is not a big enough difference to matter to you (the step up to 300 dpi). In the end it is a personal choice and should be decided by the individual - especially if it is worth the extra money. For me the step from PW1 to Voyage was absolutely worth it screen wise. Gotten used to the Voyage I tried the PW1 again a while back, and it looks rather bad, worse than I remember. I wouldn't feewilly go back to a PW1 in both frontlit and full sunlight.

Also, the Vision 3 is waterproof while the 2 isn't. That may or may not make it worth the extra money as well.
DuckieTigger is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-25-2016, 02:58 AM   #6
GERGE
Guru
GERGE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GERGE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GERGE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GERGE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GERGE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GERGE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GERGE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GERGE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GERGE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GERGE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GERGE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra
There is a perceivable difference. But it isn't only in the ppi. 300ppi screens have better waveform, contrass, ghosting and color. If you can buy it, buy it.
GERGE is offline   Reply With Quote