Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 06-01-2016, 11:09 AM   #1
June
Addict
June ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.June ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.June ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.June ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.June ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.June ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.June ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.June ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.June ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.June ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.June ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra, Oasis 1&2 and others
Oasis, chipped color off the frame already

The black paint has already chipped off from my kindle Oasis! Has anyone else experienced this?
June is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2016, 07:54 PM   #2
Drew0020
Connoisseur
Drew0020 doesn't litterDrew0020 doesn't litter

Device: Kindle
I haven't seen this but I've seen a couple units. Most have visible scratches and imperfections in the case. Kind of disappointing for $300
Drew0020 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-01-2016, 08:06 PM   #3
Julius Caesar
Addict
Julius Caesar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Julius Caesar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Julius Caesar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Julius Caesar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Julius Caesar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Julius Caesar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Julius Caesar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Julius Caesar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Julius Caesar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Julius Caesar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Julius Caesar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by June View Post
The black paint has already chipped off from my kindle Oasis! Has anyone else experienced this?
Are the paint chips at the front, the sides or the back of the Oasis?

Last edited by Julius Caesar; 06-01-2016 at 09:38 PM.
Julius Caesar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2016, 08:10 PM   #4
cerem0ny
Evangelist
cerem0ny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cerem0ny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cerem0ny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cerem0ny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cerem0ny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cerem0ny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cerem0ny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cerem0ny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cerem0ny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cerem0ny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cerem0ny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra Colour
Post a picture?
cerem0ny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2016, 03:14 PM   #5
June
Addict
June ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.June ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.June ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.June ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.June ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.June ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.June ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.June ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.June ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.June ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.June ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Yes, it's the black paint on the metal fram, in two corners diagonally (and I've only dropped it once).

Sorry about the crappy photos :/

Last edited by June; 06-02-2016 at 03:27 PM.
Advert
Old 06-02-2016, 04:36 PM   #6
Bob B
Connoisseur
Bob B ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob B ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob B ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob B ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob B ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob B ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob B ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob B ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob B ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob B ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob B ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2
So, what exactly is your complaint? You say you dropped it so it isn't a manufacturing defect, is it? Your initial post didn't give us the whole story.
Bob B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2016, 04:57 PM   #7
NullNix
Guru
NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3, Kindle Oasis 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob B View Post
So, what exactly is your complaint? You say you dropped it so it isn't a manufacturing defect, is it? Your initial post didn't give us the whole story.
I'm a little disappointed that it comes off that easily, after one drop -- with all the sintering and aerospace wossname in this, I'd assumed they'd got the colour onto the frame the same way, in a 'premium' product. But no.

After all, unlike the PW1, the Oasis's case doesn't *protect* the corners, so they're more likely to hit things than the PW1's were.
NullNix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2016, 06:18 PM   #8
June
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob B View Post
Well, my point is that the color/coating coming off is NOT because I dropped it: the damage is in different corners, and the drop was from my lap down onto a carpet. Sorry for the sloppy expression.

All I can think is that the corners are the most exposed to wear, but it is in a separate pocket in my purse, so isn't flopping around in a big bag.

I am surprised the coating chipped off this quickly and easily, so would be interesting to hear if others have had the same happen.
Old 06-02-2016, 07:39 PM   #9
jswinden
Nameless Being

The American way: Build it cheaper and charge more for it! IMO the Oasis is the worst thought out eInk reader Amazon has ever released. Like the saying goes, they didn't think the design all the way through.
Old 06-02-2016, 07:44 PM   #10
SCION
Séduisant
SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Note Air2+; Kobo Libra2; Kindle Scribe, Oasis3; iPad Mini6
I've had mine since May 4th. No signs of wear and tear.

Sent from my SM-N920T using Tapatalk
SCION is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2016, 01:13 AM   #11
Julius Caesar
Addict
Julius Caesar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Julius Caesar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Julius Caesar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Julius Caesar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Julius Caesar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Julius Caesar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Julius Caesar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Julius Caesar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Julius Caesar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Julius Caesar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Julius Caesar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
I dropped mine knee high and it landed on the screen. Thankfully, neither the screen nor the chassis were damaged but I have to be very careful next time especially when reading without the cover. Even with the cover, the Oasis could still get damaged since it only protects the screen from scratches and nothing else.
Julius Caesar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2016, 02:00 AM   #12
odamizu
just an egg
odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, iOS
Quote:
Originally Posted by SCION View Post
I've had mine since May 4th. No signs of wear and tear.
Mine is also in perfect condition.
odamizu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2016, 09:04 AM   #13
Josieb1
Grand Sorcerer
Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Scribe, PW SE & Kindle 2022, Kobo Libra 2
If you plan to keep it and not try and get a replacement you might find black nail polish can be used to touch up the chipped areas. I've done that before.
Josieb1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2016, 12:42 PM   #14
Barbara1955
Non-Techy
Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Cell Phone & Amazon Fires & Kobo eReaders
Is this any thing like the K3 keyboard letters wearing off?
Barbara1955 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2016, 12:44 PM   #15
June
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josieb1 View Post
If you plan to keep it and not try and get a replacement you might find black nail polish can be used to touch up the chipped areas. I've done that before.
Lol, I might have to go buy some black nail polish, not my staple color. Oh, I'll keep it, the chipping doesn't affect the function. Although I will have to keep an eye on the charging, I keep having to restart the Oasis for it to accept a charge...