Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 05-14-2016, 10:16 AM   #1
kobospice
kobospice began at the beginning.

Device: kobo glo
If epubs open at all, fonts unchangeable

My spouse and I have run into some very sudden issues with our Kobos (Glo and Aura) when it comes to library books. Whereas before it was smooth and problem-free, transferring/reading books from the library, now it's agony at best. After 3 hrs last night and alot of "already fulfilled by another user", "no permission to copy the book", "oops this doc couldn't be opened", can't do this, can't do that, I figured out that I had to uninstall and reinstall a million things, authorize and deauthorize this and that, etcetc, so that I could finally do that which was a piece of cake only last week.
Anyway, now that we have a couple of library books on our readers - some open-able, other just black icons with more ominous error messages - there is no longer a way to change fonts style or size. At all. Zero. And that's a feature we like due to those pesky 40-something vision changes! :/
Has Kobo or Adobe made changes to things?
Of course this isn't a problem with books bought from Kobo - I just bought 2 and there are no issues.
I've no problem buying books, but we also like to be able to load up our readers with library stuff, too.
Any help or insight is appreciated.
Thanks.

Last edited by kobospice; 05-14-2016 at 10:21 AM.
kobospice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2016, 07:04 PM   #2
Cinisajoy
Just a Yellow Smiley.
Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K4, K5, fire, kobo, galaxy
Sounds like the font is publisher set.
Cinisajoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-14-2016, 08:29 PM   #3
compurandom
Guru
compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo aura h2o, kobo forma
I've found that sometimes books from the library come in with strange fonts and huge sizes. If I go into calibre, and find the book on the device, I can use the KoboUtilities extension to "Set eReader font for selected books" and set the size and font to something sane, and then everything is fine.

I suspect that the font is set by Adobe Digital Editions based on the size of the computer screen font it wants to use with its built in reader, and this is somehow wildly inappropriate for the kobo screen.
compurandom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2016, 10:16 PM   #4
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
Originally Posted by kobospice View Post
My spouse and I have run into some very sudden issues with our Kobos (Glo and Aura) when it comes to library books. Whereas before it was smooth and problem-free, transferring/reading books from the library, now it's agony at best. After 3 hrs last night and alot of "already fulfilled by another user", "no permission to copy the book", "oops this doc couldn't be opened", can't do this, can't do that, I figured out that I had to uninstall and reinstall a million things, authorize and deauthorize this and that, etcetc, so that I could finally do that which was a piece of cake only last week.
Anyway, now that we have a couple of library books on our readers - some open-able, other just black icons with more ominous error messages - there is no longer a way to change fonts style or size. At all. Zero. And that's a feature we like due to those pesky 40-something vision changes! :/
Has Kobo or Adobe made changes to things?
There hasn't been a firmware update release since the beginning of the year, so Kobo haven't made a change recently. I don't know about ADE, but I haven't heard any recent complaints about new ADE versions.

The first paragraph sounds like problems getting the books and then maybe getting them onto the device. At least one of them sounds like a problem with the library. Maybe the library has changed something and you needed an ADE update to match that. Or the credentials needed to be refreshed somehow.

Once they are on the device, the black icon usually means DRM and that the device and book don't agree on the authorisation. But, we'd really need to see the message to know.

For the font settings, what is missing? Is the icon at the bottom of the screen? Or are the options missing or disabled? Or do they simply not have an affect?

compurandom suggestion might work. It really depends on why the settings can't be changed. Some of the options can't be overwritten because of things in the book.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2016, 10:18 PM   #5
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by compurandom View Post
I suspect that the font is set by Adobe Digital Editions based on the size of the computer screen font it wants to use with its built in reader, and this is somehow wildly inappropriate for the kobo screen.
No, that isn't happening. ADE doesn't change the books when sending them to the device and the other files it creates contain no information about fonts.
Advert
Old 05-15-2016, 06:55 AM   #6
compurandom
Guru
compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfor View Post
No, that isn't happening. ADE doesn't change the books when sending them to the device and the other files it creates contain no information about fonts.
In that case, it must be a firmware bug with something uninitialized.

If I use kobo utilities in calibre to read the font size on a book freshly sideloaded by ADE, it comes up as something like 40pt with 3-5 words per line. If I try to change the font from within the kobo, I can only change the relative font size which can't quite get to a normal size, and changing the size makes all the rest of my books use a teeny font.

If I reboot the kobo or set the font size using Kobo utilities, it all works normally.
Old 05-15-2016, 08:24 AM   #7
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
I do borrow ePub from Overdrive. I have no problem in ADE changing the font size.

Are you sure that ADE and the Kobo Readers are authorized with the same account information?
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2016, 09:27 AM   #8
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
In that case, it must be a firmware bug with something uninitialized.

If I use kobo utilities in calibre to read the font size on a book freshly sideloaded by ADE, it comes up as something like 40pt with 3-5 words per line.
Which button are you using? The "Get configuration" button reads the config file. The "Get settings" reads the database. For a new book that hasn't been opened, there are no settings to get. The settings are only saved when you set change the font options while reading the book. The font settings are saved to the config every time they are changed. And they get used whenever you open a book that doesn't have its own settings saved.
Quote:
If I try to change the font from within the kobo, I can only change the relative font size which can't quite get to a normal size, and changing the size makes all the rest of my books use a teeny font.

If I reboot the kobo or set the font size using Kobo utilities, it all works normally.
There have been problems over the years where the font settings changing broke and needed a restart of the device to get it going. With the current firmware, there have been problems with "Kobo Tsukushi Mincho" and "Kobo UD Kakugo" that might cause this.
Old 05-16-2016, 12:53 AM   #9
compurandom
Guru

Quote:
Which button are you using? The "Get configuration" button reads the config file. The "Get settings" reads the database.
Don't remember. I'll have to play with it and check.
It is possible I scrambled some default config; however, if I did, it only affects things from ADE, and not kepubs from calibre.

In playing with a kepub loaded by calibre just now, I noticed when I hit "get configuration" it resets the font to the first one in the list. My default font is a side loaded one, probably Linux Libertine or something, although I usually use Georgia (or publisher default) on ADE books.

Would you consider that a bug?
Old 05-16-2016, 03:13 AM   #10
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Don't remember. I'll have to play with it and check.
It is possible I scrambled some default config; however, if I did, it only affects things from ADE, and not kepubs from calibre.
Scrambling the config for this is pretty hard. For most of the config file, if the options don't make sense, defaults are used. And if you don't like the settings you have, just edit the config file and remove the appropriate section, or remove the config file completely.

For something like what you describe, it is either something in the book blocking it, or something failed in the firmware. If it works after a restart, then it is probably a failure. In that case, there might be a stack log file in the .kobo directory for the error. If so, we can give it to Kobo to help work out what went wrong. If it is there, the file name is "stack_nn.log" where "nn" will be two digits.
Quote:
In playing with a kepub loaded by calibre just now, I noticed when I hit "get configuration" it resets the font to the first one in the list. My default font is a side loaded one, probably Linux Libertine or something, although I usually use Georgia (or publisher default) on ADE books.

Would you consider that a bug?
I don't do any handling for sideloaded fonts, so no, it isn't a bug. It's a deficiency

I'll have to think about how to handle that. I don't really want to read all the fonts on the device to get the names. I might be lazy and if the config file or database have non-default names add those to the list as I find them. Or might be good and fetch the names from the font files. Actually, that probably is easy as the file names have to match the internal names. That means I just read the file names, strip off the bold/italic etc and I should have the right names. I'll try and add this sometime during the week.
Old 05-16-2016, 04:27 AM   #11
tshering
Wizard
tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo touch
Quote:
the file names have to match the internal names.
I read this again and again on this forum. But I do not think that this is completely correct. I do change for instance file names of fonts in order to change their position in the hierarchy for automatic font replacement, without changing the internal font name.

Last edited by tshering; 05-16-2016 at 04:45 AM.
tshering is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2016, 07:56 AM   #12
compurandom
Guru

Quote:
I'll have to think about how to handle that. I don't really want to read all the fonts on the device to get the names.
Obviously, the minimum functionality would be to at least grab the current default so that I can change the config font size without having the font itself reset.

The maximum functionality would also offer a list of fonts not currently on the device that could be copied to it. :-P (not saying I'd want that or use it often)

I'll see if I can play with an ADE book later today.

Last edited by compurandom; 05-16-2016 at 08:01 AM.
Old 05-16-2016, 09:16 AM   #13
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by tshering View Post
I read this again and again on this forum. But I do not think that this is completely correct. I do change for instance file names of fonts in order to change their position in the hierarchy for automatic font replacement, without changing the internal font name.
Well, I accidentally just added a font whose file name didn't match the internal name. And it seems to have worked. And I've tried another and it works as well. I remember doing this in the past and it not working, so something has changed in the firmware.
Old 05-16-2016, 09:49 AM   #14
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Obviously, the minimum functionality would be to at least grab the current default so that I can change the config font size without having the font itself reset.
Just as I should have expected, Kovid has already coded an easy way to get a list of font families from a directory. That makes this easy to do.
Quote:
The maximum functionality would also offer a list of fonts not currently on the device that could be copied to it. :-P (not saying I'd want that or use it often)
I can't say I'm interested in doing this.
Old 05-16-2016, 05:07 PM   #15
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Libra Colour, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Well, I accidentally just added a font whose file name didn't match the internal name. And it seems to have worked. And I've tried another and it works as well. I remember doing this in the past and it not working, so something has changed in the firmware.
Hmmm... I seem to remember the original explanation by George Talusan(?) for the strict font naming requirement was the inability of QT to easily introspect fonts. Given the constant upgrading of QT, it is possible that that capability may now be present and is being used.

Last edited by DNSB; 05-16-2016 at 05:13 PM. Reason: Fat fingered typos... what else is old?
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote