Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 04-17-2016, 07:06 AM   #1
surquizu
Evangelist
surquizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.surquizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.surquizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.surquizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.surquizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.surquizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.surquizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.surquizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.surquizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.surquizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.surquizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: prs-505, kobo auraHD, kobo auraH2O, kobo Glo HD, kobo aura ONE
Solar cover for the aura H2O (DIY)

I present my last distraction: build a cover with solar panels to charge the reader. It makes little sense for ereaders with long battery life, but it's fun to do.

materials:

- A cheap cover (10-15 eur. I had one unused),
- Cable USB micro (about 4 eur.)
- Pair of solar panels 5v (about 6 eur in aliexpress)

I hope you like.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF6517_600x450.JPG
Views:	594
Size:	37.5 KB
ID:	147905   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF6518_600x450.JPG
Views:	455
Size:	33.6 KB
ID:	147906   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF6519_600x450.JPG
Views:	446
Size:	86.7 KB
ID:	147907   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF6520_600x450.JPG
Views:	438
Size:	50.7 KB
ID:	147908   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF6523_600x450.JPG
Views:	502
Size:	35.0 KB
ID:	147909   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF6524_600x450.JPG
Views:	501
Size:	52.9 KB
ID:	147910   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF6525_600x450.JPG
Views:	471
Size:	63.9 KB
ID:	147911   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF6527_600x450.JPG
Views:	483
Size:	59.9 KB
ID:	147912   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF6528_600x450.JPG
Views:	443
Size:	56.1 KB
ID:	147913   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF6530_600x450.JPG
Views:	435
Size:	34.7 KB
ID:	147914   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF6532_600x450.JPG
Views:	436
Size:	42.5 KB
ID:	147915   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF6533_600x450.JPG
Views:	460
Size:	57.5 KB
ID:	147916   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF6534_600x450.JPG
Views:	463
Size:	87.4 KB
ID:	147917   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF6535_600x450.JPG
Views:	423
Size:	61.5 KB
ID:	147918   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF6536_600x450.JPG
Views:	443
Size:	46.3 KB
ID:	147919   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF6537_600x450.JPG
Views:	484
Size:	62.5 KB
ID:	147920   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF6539_600x450.JPG
Views:	467
Size:	55.3 KB
ID:	147921   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF6540_600x450.JPG
Views:	489
Size:	64.7 KB
ID:	147922  
surquizu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2016, 07:57 AM   #2
oren64
I need a chapter break
oren64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oren64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oren64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oren64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oren64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oren64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oren64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oren64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oren64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oren64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oren64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo
Great job

I thought myself once maybe to do it by connecting the solar panel to the back cover, but your idea is match better.

Quote:
Originally Posted by surquizu View Post
Edit: this USB cable is more suitable, http://www.ebay.com/itm/angled-90-de...H5vbhKor7HTGXw

Last edited by oren64; 04-18-2016 at 12:55 PM.
oren64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-17-2016, 01:10 PM   #3
drjd
The Couch Potato
drjd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drjd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drjd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drjd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drjd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drjd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drjd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drjd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drjd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drjd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drjd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo, Kobo Touch, Archos 9, Onyx Boox C67ML Carta
Wow! Great engineering.
You have illustrated this mod in very nice details. I would love to have a similar thing on my Kobo. I'll search for these solar panels locally, and try it out, though I am not good at soldering.
drjd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2016, 03:28 PM   #4
Ken Maltby
Wizard
Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Note2, AuraHD, PDA,
Hmm... I remember a kid's science experiment "The Potato Battery", you might not need the panels.

Luck;
Ken
Ken Maltby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2016, 02:29 AM   #5
Sweetpea
Grand Sorcerer
Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Inkpad 4 Color; Samsung Galaxy Tab S6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Maltby View Post
Hmm... I remember a kid's science experiment "The Potato Battery", you might not need the panels.

Luck;
Ken
I think it's easier to take these panels on a camping trip than a lot of potatoes

I really like this! But aren't you afraid the panels and screen will scratch each other when you close the cover?
Sweetpea is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-18-2016, 03:17 AM   #6
drjd
The Couch Potato
drjd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drjd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drjd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drjd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drjd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drjd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drjd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drjd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drjd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drjd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drjd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Maltby View Post

Luck;
Ken
A perpetual machine for me? Seems a great idea!
Old 04-18-2016, 03:21 AM   #7
drjd
The Couch Potato

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweetpea View Post
I really like this! But aren't you afraid the panels and screen will scratch each other when you close the cover?
That is what I was thinking too. There can be used a sort of protective soft layer in between solar panels and screen, to avoid mutual damage by scratches.
Old 04-18-2016, 07:07 AM   #8
Sweetpea
Grand Sorcerer
Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Inkpad 4 Color; Samsung Galaxy Tab S6
Quote:
I present my last distraction: build a cover with solar panels to charge the reader. It makes little sense for ereaders with long battery life, but it's fun to do.

materials:

- A cheap cover (10-15 eur. I had one unused),

I hope you like.
According to your site those panels cost 8 euro!

Anyway, what panels are they? When I search on aliexpress, I found a lot of them...
Sweetpea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2016, 12:06 PM   #9
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:

Don't you mean a pair of 2.5V panels?

1)USB is 5V
2)It appears you wired them in series (black wire between) without a charge controller. Did I obsevve incorrectly? I now see the attachment to the USB wires has them in parallel

3) Great job

Aliexpress had a 5V 5W folding charger (almost the same current as a standard Kindle charger) for a fast charge, but it is a bit larger than the device

Last edited by theducks; 04-18-2016 at 12:09 PM.
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2016, 12:17 PM   #10
rem736
purpose priority passion
rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony prs-350, b&n ngp, rM2, kindle scribe, boox poke5
Quote:
I think it's easier to take these panels on a camping trip than a lot of potatoes
and if you decide to eat the potatoes during your camping trip, there would be nothing left to charge the reader.
rem736 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2016, 12:34 PM   #11
howyoudoin
how YOU doin?
howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Keyboard, iPad Pro 10.5”, Kobo Aura H2O, Kobo Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by rem736 View Post
and if you decide to eat the potatoes during your camping trip, there would be nothing left to charge the reader.
Imagine a remake of "The Martian" where Matt Damon grows potatoes on Mars not for sustenance, but because he wants to continue e-reading
howyoudoin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2016, 12:51 PM   #12
Ken Maltby
Wizard
Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Note2, AuraHD, PDA,
My camping solar charging setup:

12v 10w battery maintainer panel w/cig lighter plug.
7/8" copper pipe just long enough so the two plug tips make a good contact
a car USB charging plug

[Image violates Posting Guidelines for size - MODERATOR]

Luck;
Ken

Last edited by Ken Maltby; 04-22-2016 at 09:40 AM.
Ken Maltby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2016, 01:00 PM   #13
rem736
purpose priority passion
rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony prs-350, b&n ngp, rM2, kindle scribe, boox poke5
Quote:
But aren't you afraid the panels and screen will scratch each other when you close the cover?
and the other thing about this configuration is that the reader will be sitting in the full sun the entire time. i'm not sure if this is a good idea. i know that iphones really heat up to the point of not being usable if it's under direct sunlight for a period of time. it may be the same for the reader. in fact, i think it's best to have the charger portion completely separate from the reader. when charging, you can put the charger over the reader (or and other 5V device), shielding the device from direct sunlight.
rem736 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2016, 06:22 PM   #14
surquizu
Evangelist
surquizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.surquizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.surquizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.surquizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.surquizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.surquizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.surquizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.surquizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.surquizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.surquizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.surquizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: prs-505, kobo auraHD, kobo auraH2O, kobo Glo HD, kobo aura ONE
Quote:
But aren't you afraid the panels and screen will scratch each other when you close the cover?
The panels do not touch the screen.

Quote:
Anyway, what panels are they? When I search on aliexpress, I found a lot of them..

http://es.aliexpress.com/item/5V-250...ilNewVersion=2

Quote:
I now see the attachment to the USB wires has them in parallel
exactly

Quote:
and the other thing about this configuration is that the reader will be sitting in the full sun the entire time. i'm not sure if this is a good idea.
No problem. As you can see in the photos, the solar panels works with artificial light and natural light in the shade.
surquizu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2016, 08:09 PM   #15
Stingo
Fanatic
Stingo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stingo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stingo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stingo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stingo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stingo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stingo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stingo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stingo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stingo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stingo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KH2O, KPW2, KDXG, KPW1, K3, S505
Why didn't you put the panels on the front or back so that you could charge the unit when it is closed between readings? I don't personally like holding the cover open that way. i prefer to fold it around the back.
Stingo is offline   Reply With Quote